Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232704 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #390 on: July 07, 2015, 11:28:21 am »

Well, what just happened. One second she was practically frozen from seeing the huge spider, next second the spider pretty much EXPLODED. She was just staring confused at the one who killed the spider and was buried in it. "... What."
"Don't ask me.  Looks like the plot decided to overcharge this thing when I tried to shock it to death."  *points at makeshift pike*
"And then it exploded all over me."
"Is everyone okay, by the way?"
*sees the guy with third-degree burns*
"Uh...No.  That guy is not okay."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:54:16 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 07, 2015, 12:38:59 pm »

Stupid miner. The hazard suits are completely safe. I think. Nobody tested them yet.
Really.  Considering the level of scientific implausibility of mechanism, there's a large chance they are very unsafe.
You have to directly counteract the weak nuclear force to 'stop' radiation, mostly.  I mean, if you're not blocking gamma radiation, you could bounce particles away from you with strategically placed air molecules (although how you would even have that much precision i beyond me), but seriously.
Simply making air impermeable to nuclear radiation would require, scientifically, a large amount of air concentrated in one place to block the gamma rays.  Which would cause...Problems with the enclosed space, which now has solid air making a dome outside.
the !!science!! of magic! 101.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 07, 2015, 01:33:44 pm »

{In theory we could make lead-lined suits with catlitter-filled dustmasks, and that would protect the wearer from a lot of the radiation/fallout. Those two are different, by the way. Radiation is the particles that hit you, fallout/radioactive dust is little tiny bits of stuff that make radiation, and inhaling them is usually what kills people, unless they stood next to a nuclear reactor or something for long enough to actually get acute poisoning. Anyway, the problem with said suits is that we haven't made any, and have had no reason to do so yet, because the Pitchblende is thoroughly sealed off, and we don't want to use it for anything.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 07, 2015, 01:36:01 pm »

{In theory we could make lead-lined suits with catlitter-filled dustmasks, and that would protect the wearer from a lot of the radiation/fallout. Those two are different, by the way. Radiation is the particles that hit you, fallout/radioactive dust is little tiny bits of stuff that make radiation, and inhaling them is usually what kills people, unless they stood next to a nuclear reactor or something for long enough to actually get acute poisoning. Anyway, the problem with said suits is that we haven't made any, and have had no reason to do so yet, because the Pitchblende is thoroughly sealed off, and we don't want to use it for anything.}
Yes, that would work and be much more reasonable than magicking radiation away, but no, magic is always infinitely better than science for some reason.
Magic and science can support eachother much more effectively than they replace eachother.
This is why I like magitech.  You can do so many awesome things with magic, plus the awesome things science already does.
Like lasers.
...Heh.
Magic light + science laser == !!LASER FUN!! without the heatsink, given control over the emitted radiation common with most magic light spells...Just need to find a way to....Heh.
Note to self: BUILD THIS.
==In-Fort==
"Oh dear, I've got an !!idea!!."
((Yes, you can hear the double exclamation points.))
"That can wait until we've gotten the burns on this one treated, though."
"Dammit, I didn't bring any particularly substantial fabber gear with me, and E=mc2 applies so I can't just magic up some nanobots for this....Well, maybe I could...Hmm.
I apply a *Scroll: Permanency Enchantment* to the Imbue Weapon: Shock from my prepared gear, then attempt to tap the (now-permanent) supply of electricity and convert it to Thaums in order to fuel a HoT (Heal over Time) spell.  I'm kind of tapped out after that burst.  Panic magic == Really effective but draining magic.
"Augh, now I have to work the unit conversion and figure out what kind of buffer I need to put in to make this work properly.  It'll only tick over once a certain thaum level is reached and if I do this math wrong it might be burst heals.  I don't like burst heals.  They hurt.  I mean, they heal, but it's more painful than a slow HoT...  *pulls out scratchpad, ammeter, and thaumometer*"
Let's see...Currently outputting about 20 mA...
20 mA = .02A
.02A2*"Crud, need the resistance of diamond..." *one table later*
.02A2* Oh Armok 100 GIGAOHMS WHAT HOW WHY 100000000000 = 2000000000 W
Yikes.
((You said Taser, Amp.  You got the 20 mA of a Taser, and I got a surprise.  Holy crap.))
Watts to Thaums...
1 Thaum = 1 common wood pigeon = .5 kg
E=mc2
.5 * 3E8 = 150000000 J
               2000000000 J/s
Oh geez.
Uh...Okay, that should power a nice healing spell....
13.3repeating Thaum/sec.
Then again, that's just raw...No, it should....
Yeah, this should cover repairs.
Tapping the electricity from the electropike, I cast *Lesser Renewal* on Blaze.
This leaves 3.3repeating Thaum/sec left over producing electricity, should an attack happen.
Reconversions ahoy!
*blah blah convert back to joules*

Wait wait wait.
Aw crap, forgot to square. *TheBiggerFish cancels Cast Spell: Got math wrong*
.0004 * 100000000000
                 40000000 W
.5 * 3E8 = 150000000 J
4/15 = .266....thaum/sec
Which means...
5/.266....
4/75ths of a Lesser Renewal per second.  And that's not that much, considering.  Ugh.
Yikes.
That's not much at all.
Add ambient regen of .5T/s...
Yeah.  So...*Spell: Channeled One-Quarter Speed Minor Regeneration*  (Consumes 2T/second of effect normally.  Regeneration spells are going to be 10 seconds long, without speed modifiers, for this, unless I specify otherwise.  This is not a major mana drain, but I only have so many potions, and this idea struck me first.  Currently, the .267 T/s is going into mana regen.)
I cast that on Blaze.
And then consider bigger plans.  Like reconverting from this on a larger scale.
Of course, with the x squareds involved, Things Will Be Strange.
Anyway, I gather shards of the FB, if at all possible.  I could use this stuff.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:01:39 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 07, 2015, 02:06:00 pm »

{Yep. Heh. Although I do intend to balance things out. Science and magic will be neither mutually exclusive or incapable of countering one another. No matter how badass the magic user, if you drop enough 400mm HE artillery shells on him, he will stop fighting back. No matter how good you are at dodging bullets, if an entire battery of cannons fire grapeshot into you, you still die. By the same token, no amount of heavy artillery can be fully immune to an invisible pyromancer walking right through their defenses and touching off the powder. No matter how badass the infantry firing line, if their slain enemies rise again, and this time don't care 'bout yo sissy bullets, they're screwed.

Edit; amusingly, you ninja-edited me, but regardless, in response to the massive addition to your post that showed up, keep in mind that the taser part can probably go off like five times a day, then it's just a kinda brittle pike. You could also, once it's upgraded, probably shoot zappy electrical arcs like ten feet, but that probably consumes like half the day's electricity, and isn't friendly fireproof.

Oh, and everyone has burns, most of them severe, plus all kinds of lesser injuries. Blaze has the burns worse, because he basically was covered in napalm for thirty full seconds while he called up enough power to save himself. Whereas, say, I have an absurdly sharp diamond spike through my leg within an inch of three major arteries, and Pyrefly has a broken arm, which given the whole exoskeleton thing is probably worse than it looks. And there are nearly-dead dwarven soldiers everywhere, plus the less-nearly-dead ones who can still stand.}
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 03:00:49 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 07, 2015, 02:56:47 pm »

"eh I will be fine, just go get me some milk"
"we still ne an exit"
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 07, 2015, 03:13:29 pm »

*takes in the massive scene of carnage more fully, only having noticed the moving bit prior*
*TheBiggerFish cancels Cast Spell: Miscalculated amount of healing needed*
"Crap."
Right.  Do something.
"WE NEED ALL THE DOCTORS DOWN HERE, STAT!  GET THE SERIOUSLY WOUNDED OUT FIRST!  I'LL TRY AND STABILIZE THEM DOWN HERE BUT I DON'T TRUST CAVERNS NOT TO HAVE SOMETHING ELSE IN THEM!"
I chug a Greater mana potion (100T) (potions will always contain 10*spell tier thaums of mana).  This will need some serious magic.
I attempt to carefully extricate the diamond spike from Amp, and once I have done so, cast *insert minimum heal required here* (See table below) on him to prevent him from bleeding out.
I then start moving about the wounded, stabilizing fatal wounds to treatable non-permanent-damage levels thaumically, if at all possible.
(Also, magic scale: 1T/Negligible (= 1 common wood pigeon = .5kg) 2T/Minor 5T/Lesser 10T/Greater 20T/Major 50T/Legendary 100T Legendary^2 150T Legendary^3 and so on up for single-target spells.  It's straight multiplication of Thaum cost for group target.  AoE is T/m^2.  Or, in DF, T/Heisenburg.  Which is uristmeter by uristmeter, or U*U.  Not to be confused with the degree Urist, U(insert-degree-symbol-here), which is temperature.  Also note the E=mc^2 going on.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 05:20:27 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #397 on: July 07, 2015, 03:43:45 pm »

Also note the E=mc^2 going on.)

Its not E=mc2, its E Dwarf.png mc2
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 07, 2015, 03:45:56 pm »

No, it's PHYSICS!
Sigtext

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #399 on: July 07, 2015, 03:52:13 pm »

No, it's PHYSICS!
hello? dwarffortess=/=real life (thats a = with a slash through it)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: July 07, 2015, 04:06:26 pm »

No, it's PHYSICS!
Yep!!
But there's still physics!
Sigtext

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #401 on: July 07, 2015, 04:10:15 pm »

No, it's PHYSICS!
Yep!!
physics, yeah, crazy ones, but not Earth-physics, its df-physics!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 07, 2015, 04:13:45 pm »

No, it's PHYSICS!
Yep!!
DF-physics == Earth physics a lot of the time.  I don't know what DF's value for G is, and I'm reasonably sure that the DWRs are breaking traditional Earth physics, but I can work with those, say some fundamental constant is a teense off, or spacetime is warped.
However, barring known impossibilities occurring, I have to make assumptions that DF == Something Already Known, which equates to Earth.
Dude.  I have to be able to math this stuff somehow.

In short: Stop arguing out the science.  We need it for magic.  Also for radioactive decay.  Which is already a thing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 04:17:17 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #403 on: July 07, 2015, 04:16:10 pm »

No, it's PHYSICS!
Yep!!
DF-physics == Earth physics a lot of the time.  I don't know what DF's value for G is, and I'm reasonably sure that the DWRs are breaing traditional Earth physics, but I can work with those.  DF has also failed to do electricity yet, so I can import Earth's system.
then explain how dwarven atomsmashers work.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 07, 2015, 04:18:21 pm »

No, it's PHYSICS!
Yep!!
DF-physics == Earth physics a lot of the time.  I don't know what DF's value for G is, and I'm reasonably sure that the DWRs are breaing traditional Earth physics, but I can work with those.  DF has also failed to do electricity yet, so I can import Earth's system.
then explain how dwarven atomsmashers work.
Like I edited, known impossibilities.
Either that, or the items beneath are spread out in such a manner as to become indistinguishable from the terrain beneath, thus "obliterating" the item.

==Also, More Magic Notes==
The system I use is kind of a bastardization of everything I've ever run into.  Discworld was invoked for a handy unit conversion, and is not the entire basis.  I suppose the magic-using-your-brain will be a thing, too, but actually I'm sort of basing it on Spearbreakers magic as well.  Well.  Maybe.  Some of it.  Possibly.  And then there's WoW, and and and.
In short, expect copious amounts of anything to show up.
But it will be consistent copious amounts of everything.
I've defined a directly-castable-spell system, that's not going to change.
If and when I get around to using runes (of my own system), they will be defined, their mechanics will be laid out, and that will not change.
Well, save by GM intervention.
Also, there will be some scientific grounding in creating effects, if at all possible.

==Misc. Questions I Still Have==
>Importation of materials not via traders.
>Involvement of certain elements of Spearbreakers.
>>Note that I am not going to go anywhere near them, I'm just going to have supply drops.  And possibly blueprints.
>>>Or, well, if I go near them, I'll keep them out of here.
>Involvement of anything not in DF more than already known to be permissible.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:09:23 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 262