Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232334 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #3855 on: May 11, 2017, 10:21:31 am »

((We have clockwork repeating rifles (Semiautomatic rifles) too. I proposed it and you accepted))
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: May 11, 2017, 12:27:39 pm »

{As far as I'm concerned, those are the lever actions. The problem is that nothing beyond muskets and really crap revolvers is in anything approaching mass production, so you can have built a prototype semi-auto if you like, but you did it by hand and I wouldn't fire it except with a string from behind a berm.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3857 on: May 11, 2017, 12:37:45 pm »

{As far as I'm concerned, those are the lever actions. The problem is that nothing beyond muskets and really crap revolvers is in anything approaching mass production, so you can have built a prototype semi-auto if you like, but you did it by hand and I wouldn't fire it except with a string from behind a berm.}
{ok}

Gwolfski will work on increasing the safety, reliability and production (in that order) of the semi-automatic rifle.  Urgh. Safety. I hate it as much as hell, all Dukes and thee spiders.

"Anyone wanna take a look at our guns?"

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: May 11, 2017, 01:20:03 pm »

{Just to be clear, the primary problem assuming you can convince Fish to give you some design records from his PDA is not the actual system design, but manufacturing tolerances and materials. Your steel is effectively the best on the planet, but you're still making it with bootstrapped late-Iron-Age furnaces and your purities are not the best.

This applies to basically all weapons tech. You can make stuff safer/more reliable, at this point, by making it simpler with more material, or developing better manufacturing, at least serious machine tooling. You are stuck with basically a drill press, table saw, and bench grinder as far as machining goes. Everything else has to be forged.

Everything else aside, your complex manufacture capability is probably best reserved for crew-served weapons and important equipment, not advanced individual weapons. A few auto-rifles for the players can't hurt, though. :V}
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:27:42 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3859 on: May 11, 2017, 01:58:59 pm »

((I'm doing science! Upgrading machinery is boooooooooooooring. I want a good, working gun to work as proof-of-concept before we go into that. you can scratch the manufacture bit from my action. I want a safe, reliable semiautomatic rifle. }))

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: May 11, 2017, 03:31:08 pm »

{I'll make that your goal.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: May 11, 2017, 04:30:02 pm »

"That sounds fun and all, but could you tell me where is a good place to make cheese at?"
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3862 on: May 11, 2017, 04:46:52 pm »

"That sounds fun and all, but could you tell me where is a good place to make cheese at?"

"Just set up 'shop in the caverns. Plenty room."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: May 11, 2017, 04:48:48 pm »

Well the manufacturing tolerances issue seems like a problem magic is eminently suited for.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: May 12, 2017, 02:34:58 pm »

"Just set up 'shop in the caverns. Plenty room."
"Sounds great! Where can I find some draltha milk to start the production?"
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3865 on: May 12, 2017, 04:17:52 pm »

"Ask the farmers."

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: May 12, 2017, 04:21:16 pm »

"What about hunting? Or scouting? Or trapping?"

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: May 12, 2017, 06:21:29 pm »

The prospective cheesemaker finds the local serf population does posess several milkable animals, but the recent mothers are being given the task of feeding their young, and they are few.

The self-claimed Lord Lemonpie, already having gotten some odd looks from the local Lord's guard, endeavors to learn about the prospects of hunting, scouting, trapping, and the like. The guards on the tunnel to the surface inform him that he is free to volunteer for scouting duty if he wishes, they have already lost two to the killing light. Taking this in mind,
 explorations are for the time being limited to the caverns below the fortress.

Said caverns appear to have suffered an immense fire at some time, leaving very little in the way of wildlife, milkable or otherwise. There are several interesting things to examine, however. The stairs down to the cavern layer are built into an immense column of natural stone, the center of which is hollow, and filled with something called an "elevator" which apparently runs on lightning.

Some distance from the elevator-column, which appears to be one of a sparse group, another of the columns has fallen, and is surrounded by colossal fragments of what appears to be solid diamond.
 Solid diamond which was once part of a statue of a great crocodile, based upon a great clawed leg. There is also a what looks like a long-since-cooled puddle of molten iron amidst the priceless wreckage, and a little distance from that, an area of ground which looks... Very wrong indeed. It looks as though it was run through a fifth-dimensional blender and then burned, and there are fragments of bone in the fused ash. There is a great deal of ash everywhere.
Perhaps there were several great fires, as there is also a crater from some immense explosion, which looks several weeks older than the wrongness.

Away from the mystifying ruin, there is a great area of open ground, crudely paved with raw stone. It is illuminated by brilliant white lights which make a noise like tiny thunder. There are many dwarves and strange machines there, and a canyon river, which has been dammed and is making a great humming sound.

This paved area and dam are connected to the elevator by a stone road, along which run great leather tubes.

A little away from all this is another broad open area, this one less well lit. It is filled by an army camp, and many, many soldiers.

All in all, it does not appear that hunting or trapping within a short walking distance of the fortress is feasible, as there is too much ash and not enough life. A long range scouting mission would be welcomed by several groups within the fortress, however.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 06:23:53 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: May 12, 2017, 06:40:17 pm »

Volunteer for a long-range scouting mission, see who wishes to join me on it.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #3869 on: May 13, 2017, 03:17:23 am »

{{We never made shotguns, did we?}}
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 262