Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232742 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #330 on: June 25, 2015, 09:01:31 am »

"Yes I do recall you mentioning that diamond was esentialy  coal.....this may work"

-endlessblaze draws a rune into the sand-
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 25, 2015, 01:43:48 pm »

{Unless it's got very little mass to heat up, diamond is fairly heat resistant, but if you get it hot enough, it will burn. Hotter than coal, certainly.

Also, fuzed charges, light the fuze, try to make sure it's got the right amount of time left before you drop it.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 25, 2015, 07:06:40 pm »

The beast takes another step, the razordust spreading from it like graveyard mist, then another, heading for the main stairway. Incendiary phosphorous flares intermittently splatter against it, touching off the dust in little puffs of sparks wherever it appears, though the sheer size of the thing allows the cloud to remain, in part. Another shouted order, this time from LC Sarvesh, directs the next few flares to land around the thing's head, giving Pyrefly an opening in the dust.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheLifeweaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2015, 08:12:37 pm »

{Sorry for not posting. Things have came up. I'll be back as soon as I can}

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
  • A large firefly fond of technology and art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2015, 08:45:02 pm »

Flying over the beast, Pyrefly didn't know how long to hold the charges so she lit two at the same time. She dropped one at a time, the first one was a bit early and might've alerted the beast of her presence, the second one was timed well and exploded as it hit (as well as the first one after falling off, assuming it wasn't consumed in dust), maybe doing some damage. She now knows how long to hold the charges and gets ready to light and drop another.
She is tall and lanky. Her eyes are brown. Her wing case is black. Her wings are translucent. Her abdomen glows bright yellow.
Pyrefly likes bluejay feathers, flowers, videogames, computers, hydras for their seven heads, cats for their aloofness, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, she prefers to consume cow steaks and flavored sparkling water. She absolutely detests wasps.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2015, 11:17:27 pm »

Two charges fall, one bouncing away to land on the left foot, caught in a puff of razordust, ignited by a falling speck of phosphor. The detonation is earsplitting, sending cracks all through the foot and splitting away a king's ransom in fractured diamond. The second, fuzed exactly right, detonates exactly above the head, an instant before contact. Undirected and without purpose, it sends hairline cracks through the surface and ruins two spikes, but otherwise does little. The other two bombs follow swiftly after as the beast begins to turn its head, one rendering the right shoulder rigid, the other destroying a dozen teeth and knocking a considerable chunk from the monster's jaw. In cold anger, it exhales a thick gust of glittering lethality, sweeping the air above it of anything larger than a few microns. Luckily, Pyrefly was stunned by a chunk of debris from the last explosion and fell to the other side of the beast, out of range, but wounded.

I, in the process of scrambling to execute plan B, launch a flare through the breath-cloud, coating the beast's eyes with soot as the widely-scattered carbon flares into black dust and thick smoke.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 27, 2015, 01:22:05 pm »

"i hope this works!"

-activating the runes, blaze sends a ball of fire hurtling towards the beast.-
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 27, 2015, 02:17:18 pm »

Arcane fire splashes over the monster as another salvo of phosphorous drenches it in adhesive flame. Thick, dark smoke spreads in every direction as the two feed off of each other, lodge themselves in cracks, spread across its hide, pool in its jaws. Searing flame jets from the beast's skin at random as the pores that emit the razordust spasm with the unfamiliar sensation of pain. The horror may not be mortally wounded, but for the first time in seven millennia, it feels pain. Pain and anger. Burning, incandescent firelight refracting through its form in every direction, it charges, smashing its way through the last few layers of defenses, rising to its hind legs almost high enough to brush the ceiling three hundred feet above, and exhaling a blast of liquid fire, bright enough to inflict pain. Molten white phosphor and witchflame in a shifting array of impossible colors splatter and seep against the steel security door, flooding the little keep and sending the surviving few guards running, desperately scraping away droplets of the evil stuff wherever it touches them. An explosion of steam throws stone in every direction when forge-hot liquid fire reaches the booze stockpile. And then, as walls crumble and unnatural conflagration reaches the powder room, seven tonnes of explosive touch off, and the world becomes light and sound, smoke and burning, all to the roar of an immortal's agony and the all-consuming rumble of collapsing stone.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #338 on: June 28, 2015, 04:28:45 am »

{mind me joining this? obviously after the battle? pls?}
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 28, 2015, 05:13:03 am »

{Certainly, though with the way I've structured this, joining us in person might be hard. Spoiler is for general situational explanation.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Beyond that, you can still be retconned to the underground if you want, because hey, and there's nothing stopping you from making raw-RP journal posts in the middle of 'action scenes', relating to your less action-y experiences. I'd encourage it, in fact.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #340 on: June 28, 2015, 10:17:43 am »

---date whocares?---

So, one day, i was playing dwarffortress, even though i should've been studying. who cares? Anyway, I was looking at the game from above, and the view was getting closer even though i wasnt pressing any keys. then i landed in a murky pool, surrounded by random pieces of my room.
That was over a year ago. I heard there was a fortress set up by other people who expierenced something similar.
So here I am, hitching a ride on this autumns dwarven caravan, and the massive bulk of the fortress coming into view. {i would've described hoe it looked, but you all know, so i wont bother} . As the merchants were unloading the goods, I wandered off to look around the place. I ended up in wahta seemed to be a meeting/dining room, to immediatly fall asleep in ac orner.
---Some day later..---
I asked some dwarf, who looked as if he wasnt doing anything, where i could find somebody in charge. He siad they were stook in amining accident or something. why wasnt he doing anything? because nobody told him to! I must get them out of there!
Slow down, slow down,- I thought to myself. they're not here right? cant tell me wahat to do! oh no. So, i got some dwarf to take me on atour.
A rune lab? excellent. Hope the owner doesnt mind me taking borrowing the big book of runes on the desk. Must remember to find ink and paper soon.
Armoury, nice. After all, I am a citizen now. Nice handgun, might have a brace of them. some chainmail, nice. And a sword. usefull. Throwing nives in a belt! lovely!
So, i have taken the tour. I also found out that the founders, the other people from earth, were battling some beast and they got stuck, down below. The stairway has collapsed. It appears the only way down is via a radioactive cavern. hmmm...
---The next day, after sleeping in room B12, wch is now mine.---
I have been thinking. we have blasting powder, a surpluss of lead and some skilled metalsmiths.
we also have amulets that protect againts radiation. I dont fully trust this, so i'll use goosold lead!
Here is my idea: Build a dozen or so lead coffins.built one or two lead suits. I am only going to use a few beacuse theat would take ages to make, and they could only bep ut on/taken off  by an armoursmith. Plan is as follows: transport coffins past the rad zone on at emporayry minecart line. Put dwarves in coffins, have the lead-clad rescuers cart them through the radz one. Easy-Peasy!
Better tell the smiths to engrave the anti-rad rune on the coffins/suits.
Meanwhile, Ill explore the fort, noe nobody is about...

{writing this in word and copying over wrecks the spacing adndv formating}
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:31:14 am by Gwolfski »
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 28, 2015, 12:25:04 pm »

{Sorry, radiation isn't the problem here, the pitchblende vein is an entirely different problem to the cavern-badness, though one that needs solving, and hazard suits will be useful.}

{...Also, I may or may not have misinterpreted your username and assumed you'd already joined and were being weird, as opposed to wanted to join entirely. This changes very little, other than the fact that you actually do get to decide for yourself what you are/specialize in, rather than being stuck as a scholar.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 28, 2015, 04:05:03 pm »

The firefly person started getting up. She had seen the rainbow of fire and felt alive, shing an impossible, dangerous beauty, when the place started rumbling, and she was knocked out.

Pyrefly started waking up again, having a broken right lower arm and bruised all over and she realized she was blocked from the way out from the cave in. "... T-this isn't good..."
She is tall and lanky. Her eyes are brown. Her wing case is black. Her wings are translucent. Her abdomen glows bright yellow.
Pyrefly likes bluejay feathers, flowers, videogames, computers, hydras for their seven heads, cats for their aloofness, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible, she prefers to consume cow steaks and flavored sparkling water. She absolutely detests wasps.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 28, 2015, 05:04:44 pm »

{I'd like to get a post from anyone who wants to react to these events before I consider time to have moved forward much from the event.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Pyrefly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 28, 2015, 06:22:03 pm »

((Wait, Pyre's trapped at the moment, she'd die if we timeskip.))
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 262