Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232320 times)

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #2340 on: January 29, 2016, 09:46:45 pm »

(horray!)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: January 29, 2016, 09:49:25 pm »

((Woo.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: January 29, 2016, 10:00:31 pm »

<<Just fyi, I'm not using a special mood yet. I'm just hiding from leadery people, as I tend to make them rather annoyed, usually to the point of "Alright prepare for punishment." Also, I'm not feeling too lucky today.>>
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #2343 on: January 29, 2016, 10:02:09 pm »

(i dont really like leadery peeps either, moon has silently vowed to put urist mcdorflord in the dam so he can get pulverized by the turbines later)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: January 29, 2016, 10:05:48 pm »

((It will merely be an unfortunate accident.  As far as we know.  What was he even thinking, messing with dangerous things like that?!))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: January 29, 2016, 10:15:16 pm »

[He's no pushover, y'know. :P]
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: January 29, 2016, 10:42:40 pm »

<<He could, however, be pushedover the railing>>

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: January 29, 2016, 10:45:52 pm »

[Be cautious. Even you might have difficulty beating him that easily, and the soldiers he brought are loyal to him. Specifically. All 150 of them.]
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: January 29, 2016, 10:52:29 pm »

<<I never said I was going to do anything. Nor do I think he is dumb enough or trusting enough to go into a dangerous area with people he does not know without a few guards. If we want to get rid of this guy and his army, we're going to need some big guns. Literally. Or we could start focusing on the "special" part of my character more, amp. Just say something ;D>>

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: January 29, 2016, 11:03:30 pm »

[I intend to.]

[I mean, you could just shoot him now. One shot from a repeating twenty-five or a sharpshooter's rifle would put him out, even through dwarven steel. You'd also probably all die, and killing him might not be the best idea for several reasons, but hey.]
Muh FG--OOC Thread

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: January 29, 2016, 11:05:52 pm »

<<I think it would be much more productive and useful to take him captive if he threatens anything important, but so far he's been fairly harmless, if annoying.>>

<<On a side note, could we get through the entire army with luck, surprise, and near infinite ammo?>>

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: January 29, 2016, 11:37:44 pm »

[Signs point to no, even if you had that much ammo, which you don't.]

"Ah! Someone competent! Consider yourself the mayor, you may coordinate with my serfs, I'm sure they have leaders. I shall consider your advice."

"Ah, and please introduce the Mountainhome's research observers to the work environment, they will be assisting your scholars in... Whatever it is you do."

Over the next week, the newcomers settle in. Three hundred serfs gets a lot done quickly, with new barracks, dormitories, and farms appearing almost from nowhere. The ramparts are swiftly repaired, and much minor maintenance, long ignored, is completed in record time.

The soldiers seem to have settled into their own tasks easily, with teal-badged dwarves rotating through sentry duty in the several guard posts constructed before the siege.

The cavern defenses, long ignored, are rapidly bolstered, and a new section of stairway begins, searching for deeper crevasses or new ores.

The Skalewyrm, despite His Lordship's curiosity, is nowhere to be found, and a secondary defensive zone is constructed around the ruins of the Diamond Beast, mainly fungiwood palisades and a few dwarves to keep watch for cave-kobolds or troglodytes.

The research projects are surprisingly little disrupted, thought the large group of serious dwarves in black clothing with their endless notebooks and muttered conversations are somewhat distracting, as they seem to get everywhere. When asked, they do assist, seeming very curious.

The serfs, after some observation, seem cowed, going about their tasks without complaint or joy, and taking orders from the surviving settlers- who themselves are rather oddly subdued, though morale is rising with the influx of fresh food and young lady dwarves -as if they were in positions of some importance, rather than battered frontiersmen.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:52:25 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: January 29, 2016, 11:56:07 pm »

I unlock my room, and wonder at the amount of work done in the short time spent in my room. After observing the general work and success of the newcomers, and showing some of the observers lights that I have researched, create magnets of ever-increasing size, until they're big enough.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2353 on: January 30, 2016, 04:27:21 am »

Set up some of the settlers as foremen, I guess, since apparently I'm the mayor. May as well make the supposed positions actual ones. That way the day-to-day stuff can be taken care of. Also, find someone literate enough to be a bookkeeper.

Get work going on some sort of fortified greenhouse-like structure for aboveground farming.

Ask why the Mountainhome seems so interested in us, all of a sudden.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: January 30, 2016, 04:57:41 am »

Mayor Murdoc appoints five of the original settlers as foremen, since they are steadfast, skilled, and know their way around the place. The others, relieved of guard duty by the newcomers, join the researchers, since they are better suited than most to understand such tasks. Those who began their time here as soldiers, having no civilian skills, form a small personal guard for Commander Sarvesh, who retains his place as Militia commander despite the new Army positions.

One of the Serfs hesitantly comes forward as a reading man, and is appointed bookkeeper after a quick education in arithmetic.

The work on parts for the dam continues apace, with a succession of larger magnets being developed using ever-more effective alloys. The actual generator hardware needs more work, especially if it is to stand up to the forces of long-term operation.

The aboveground farms are largely complete, with mud, manure, and plant matter shoveled into rectangular pits in the gravel plain, then being repeatedly plowed and left to settle over some time. Consideration is begun of a greenhouse, to allow certain exotic herbs for the advantage of the researchers.

"Reports were heard of your new weapons, medicine, and sorcery. The burgeoning war in the East leads the Mountainhome to believe all advantages against the coming storm are to be taken. Please leave me to my breakfast."

After a week of observation, several conclusions can be drawn about His Lordship:

The dwarf is thoroughly uncharismatic, and not, generally, a very nice person.

He is skilled in warfare, and a good swordsman, spending two hours every morning in dummy-blade practice with some of his personal guard.

He is extremely loyal to the Mountainhome, and dedicated to his mission, namely to ensure this fortress' researchers are allowed to continue their work with no interruption and aided in all capacities, to protect the valuable resources at this site from enemies of the Mountainhome, and to ensure any new developments made here find their way first to the Mountainhome.

He is uninterested in matters considered "beneath him", such as logistics, but quite eager to accept advice.

Oddly, Chaotic Skies seems most bothered by the limited fresh meat, becoming increasingly agitated as the days wear on. His health seems poor, as well.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 262