Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 262

Author Topic: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS  (Read 232877 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay 12 was a fortress Part 3: RETURN OF THE CHAOS
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2015, 05:47:43 pm »

((or from me its in these double parthsies.....pyrithas-....prarcya-............how doy you spell that again? spellcheck is failing ))
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2015, 07:00:15 pm »

{Parentheses; brought to you by the magic of Google!}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2015, 07:22:46 pm »

((ah thank you, I always forget how to spell that...........

.....wolf....your response? I guess ampersand could respond first though))

Bearcoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Im not new to the forums i just forgot my Password
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2015, 07:36:15 pm »

(my Dwarf proximate is Skilled swordsdwarf as ive been swordfighting for as long as i can remmember Hmmm my family are all Farmers so Novice Planter as well)
"Click" 3....2....Oops Wrong Lever

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2015, 04:51:21 pm »

{Our characters are mostly intended to be people from the Real World brought into DF by something weird, and wouldn't have that much in the way of vanilla dorfy skills, unless you mean you're a fencing buff or something.}

"I'm afraid I have too much going on for the study of runes to be worth my time, but I can think of any number of uses for em'."

"For instance, could you make one object cause another, distant object to burst into flames when pressed firmly?"

I make a gesture akin to pushing the button on a remote.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2015, 05:15:09 pm »

"possibly. I already have a rune that acts like a button. if we can get it to trigger something at distance......well....lets just say the goblins would die"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2015, 05:32:13 pm »

"It's slightly more complicated than you would imagine.  The specific object in question generally has to have a target rune linked to it, meaning that the second object also has to enruned before it can be activated.  Non-localized effects are rather non-intuitive, time consuming, and draining on the engraver.  I've been working on runes for quite some time, but I still can't engrave more than about 50 runes a day before the strain is too much.

Generating fire is in and of itself irritating as well, because the basic fire rune doesn't create a particularly large flame or anything for it to burn on, so it dies out quickly without fuel.  There's a whole bunch of intricacies of runes that I'm working on, but most of what I have right now are observational theories."

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2015, 06:47:23 pm »

"Sounds like you can do more than any single electrical engineer I've heard of could, especially using little more than a chisel and some raw materials."

"In case it wasn't apparent, I would quite like to replicate high-technological capabilities using what we have on hand, since anything that complex of a purely material nature will likely take me at least fifty years to reach from here. Unless there's a good reason not to, I would almost suggest taking some spare bookkeepers and teaching them some basic runes, get anything simple and useful mass-produced."
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2015, 05:12:07 pm »

{Now, I realize this is kinda hypocritical, given my recent absences, but post more?}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2015, 05:24:51 pm »

((I was expecting wolf to post))

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2015, 06:18:42 pm »

{Well, alrighty then.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2015, 07:18:14 pm »

"I understand where you are coming from with that, but you'd be better off asking endless for help with that.  I'm currently involved in some difficult-to-explain studies into rune magic, it's limitations and the fundamental rules that govern it, and given your intentions I'd like to be able to finish this research to determine if there are any things we need to look out for in that work.

Endless: barring further notice, be very careful how you use that mind rune.  I can't say anything conclusive yet, but given how difficult matter manipulation is, I'd use extreme caution with mental manipulation."

Using his chisel, 4maskwolf idly carves a rune into the table, one that endless doesn't recognize, then inscribes the mind rune next to it.  Both runes glow briefly before disappearing, the table returning to its original state.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:22:34 pm by 4maskwolf »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2015, 07:20:48 pm »

"yha, I actually want to find some sort of counter rune for it before I get far into it"

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2015, 07:29:41 pm »

"That's a good plan..."

Over where he inscribed the previous rune, 4maskwolf inscribes a series of other runes, each glowing in turn before losing lumination but remaining present.  Looking at them closely, endless saw, in order: a stone rune, a shaping rune, and a rune he did not recognize.  Setting down his chisel, he once again touched the runes, and the table was suddenly covered in sigils of all kinds, all of them fairly basic, currently unpowered runes that endless learned early on.  Elemental runes, trigger runes, and the like.

"endless, do you mind explaining to Amperzand what these runes do and seeing what he can come up with?"

((4maskwolf is doing things endless hasn't seen before, FYI.  They aren't far beyond his reach, but 4maskwolf has been doing a lot of theoretical experimentation and the mechanism behind what he just didn't isn't immediately obvious.))

((And no, I'm not trying to one-up you.  If you notice, I gave you the chance to establish a rune that I hadn't seen yet, and I also had a significant head-start when it came to learning runes.))

((Also, at some point I'm going to send you a pm with my proposal for the laws of runes, and we can work out what is mutually agreeable from there))
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:31:40 pm by 4maskwolf »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2015, 07:36:13 pm »

mmmm....movement...left...drain... water... wait....what's this one?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 262