Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warlock Mode FPS Issue  (Read 1142 times)

Lokked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warlock Mode FPS Issue
« on: March 02, 2015, 06:35:02 pm »

Hello,

When playing Warlocks, at some point near the end of the first year, my FPS started this sine-wave live stuttering: My limit is 150fps. It averaged 100fps (which is much lower than what I run orcs or dwarves at during this period, with higher populations) and for 3 second periods would slow to, ~50fps, then speed up to ~130fps, then slow down, then speed up, repeating the slow-down/speed-up cycle every 3 seconds, approx. This happened even after I save/exited, shut down all non-essential services, reloaded. I lived with it for a while.

Then, suddenly (at least, when it first caught my attention), it stopped happening and I was back up to 150fps.

I'm just wondering if this makes any sense to anyone? Is there some design pattern or gameplay strategy I should avoid with Warlocks that could cause this? I wasn't doing anything fancy with water flows or pumping magma, no HFS revealed.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
Re: Warlock Mode FPS Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:15:41 pm »

sounds like you got a demon temple on the map somewhere... df hack command reveal hell would uncover it, Prospect all , would notify you as well. the 2000 or so undead in the temple can be a real pain with pathing lag if they decide to move around

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 09:44:46 am »

Do you happen to use mutlilevel rendering or rendermax? Both drop FPS depending of what you look at or what's going on.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 11:37:26 am »

Could also be a flame FB setting fire to your caverns.

Lokked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 08:29:13 pm »

You got it Fairin. I'd discovered it early on, never seen it in any other forts. I can't recall the alert message, but it was purple. When I'd first discovered it, there were at least 100 undead. Now they've all meandered out of the view I had.

As Warlocks, are they friendly with me? Can I invite them to dinner? It'd be nice to eradicate them...

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 03:35:54 am »

You can destroy them but as opposed to life, the zombies wouldn't initiate the hostilities.

Lokked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 02:13:17 pm »

I'm working on dropping some roofing on them all. They've crammed themselves into a smallish room.