Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: The Eldritch Horror Thread!  (Read 29089 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Eldritch Horror Thread!
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2015, 07:55:28 pm »

I don't really know the different elder gods.

I read Lovecraft's works, but don't remember a huge amount.

That is because I think he was rather scant and quite a few of them we know today were like... mentioned in passing and only expanded when a different author got their hands on it.

Heck I think the majority of his works don't even have a Old One involved and the ones that do often don't have them actively involved. (The story with Yig for example he never actually shows up)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2015, 08:11:51 pm »

Has anybody else heard the rumor that they're making a fifth Evil Dead movie?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2015, 11:02:52 am »

I just realized LoL's creatures from the void were probably based of eldritch abominations.

Here's a video featuring one

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2015, 03:03:36 pm »

I just realized LoL's creatures from the void were probably based of eldritch abominations.

Don't even get me started on League. I really hate that game.

But, yeah. A lot of their stuff is based on the idea of eldritch horrors. One of them is a bug looking guy that is just as scared of the alien geometries that we make as we are of his.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2015, 03:13:41 pm »

But, yeah. A lot of their stuff is based on the idea of eldritch horrors. One of them is a bug looking guy that is just as scared of the alien geometries that we make as we are of his.
Why would you hate the game D:. The community is terrible though.

League also has two void-influenced people. One uses his acquired powers to fight the void, the other sacrifices people to it. Does lovecraft have these kind of people too?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2015, 03:14:36 pm »

League also has two void-influenced people. One uses his acquired powers to fight the void, the other sacrifices people to it. Does lovecraft have these kind of people too?

There's plenty of reasons not to like LoL if you don't like MOBAs in general.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2015, 03:18:43 pm »

It's not that I don't like MOBAs. I just got very pissed when everyone told me that it's an RTS. And that alone has built up enough rage to last me a life time.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2015, 03:20:07 pm »

Don't worry... people like to assign "strategy game" to anything that requires even slight amounts of thinking.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2015, 05:29:49 pm »

More or less. Wizards, sorcerers, or evil people using powers beyond their understanding to sacrifice or use other innocent people for their nefarious plots.

Like cults sacrificing new members to their god. Or a mad man who feeds people to the minor deity he summons in order to get what he wants. Or an inbred hillbilly wizard who whores out uses his deformed albino inbred hillbilly daughter to give birth to the half-breed children of an ancient eldritch god of tentacles and spheres, so that the inbred hillbilly wizard can train the children in using his eldritch magicks to try and pierce the veil between the normal world and another dimension full of even more eldritch monsters. Or a wizard who raises famous historical figures from the dead just to torment them to learn all their secrets to further his plot to live forever and destroy the world.

...I think there's very few people in Lovecraft who use their powers against the evil. Or few people who are fighting against the evil and even have powers to use.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2015, 05:33:12 pm »

He was a horror writer.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2015, 06:01:00 pm »

I do wonder if elder gods have any loopholes in how they operate that it would be entirely possible to either sufficiently screw one over supernaturally, or pull some sort of shenanigan to tame one to obey the beck and call of a mortal being. Hell, toss in multiple elder gods, or be a member of various cults, and get them to have an unholy war against each other, and profit the hell out of it, sell tickets to watch one eldritch being wrestle another one to the ground (or cult vs. cult wars); place bets on who wins. How often is a mortal mightier than a god, just by thinking a little out of the box?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2015, 06:02:00 pm »

I do wonder if elder gods have any loopholes in how they operate that it would be entirely possible to either sufficiently screw one over supernaturally, or pull some sort of shenanigan to tame one to obey the back and call of a mortal being. Hell, toss in multiple elder gods, or be a member of various cults, and get them to have an unholy war against each other, and profit the hell out of it, sell tickets to watch one eldritch being wrestle another one to the ground; place bets on who wins. How often is a mortal mightier than a god, just by thinking a little out of the box?
One case in which I can think of that, and it was the most batshit ridiculous one ever.
Ever heard of Old Man Henderson?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2015, 06:02:36 pm »

I do wonder if elder gods have any loopholes in how they operate that it would be entirely possible to either sufficiently screw one over supernaturally, or pull some sort of shenanigan to tame one to obey the back and call of a mortal being. Hell, toss in multiple elder gods, or be a member of various cults, and get them to have an unholy war against each other, and profit the hell out of it, sell tickets to watch one eldritch being wrestle another one to the ground; place bets on who wins. How often is a mortal mightier than a god, just by thinking a little out of the box?
One case in which I can think of that, and it was the most batshit ridiculous one ever.
I heard of him before. He had some entertaining antics.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2015, 06:03:38 pm »

I heard of him before. He had some entertaining antics.
He also permakilled Hastur.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2015, 06:17:45 pm »

I am doubtful that's actually a rule in it, to be honest.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19