Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Lore thread - Of Substance and Spirit - Think we're ready to make characters?  (Read 17161 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Well, I want to see what people are thinking of before I interfere with their ideas. But I'll put one up tomorrow, I suppose.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

About to eat dinner, but after that I'll take a shot at a character.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, I'll just go ahead and do one I suppose. Give me a bit.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very well, here's an example character. Though this is more of an NPC. Probably could use some more specifics.

Spirit
Name: Grey
Description: Grey appears as a streak of silvery light, often moving but occasionally sitting pensively still as a cloud of glowing, flame-like mist. Grey is observant, pensive, and curious, preferring to watch and listen, but enjoys searching for answers together with Hanley, who thinks of many questions.
Abilities: Grey has become quite adept in the study of physical substance, able to glean the composition and properties of many things simply by seeping through them. Grey has also acquired extensive knowledge of living things, being especially skilled at helping heal them, and non-verbal communication.
Human
Name: Dr. Hanley Argent
Description: A man of around average height and build, with lank, combed hair and a round face, in his early 60's but it's somewhat hard to tell. He looks like someone out of a sun-bleached, faded photograph, lacking almost all color in his features, as a result of his decades-long partnership with Grey. Dr. Argent is a very inquisitive person, deeply fascinated by the world and always looking for new ways to turn his spiritual connection towards study. A very solitary kind, he has formed only very few close connections in his life, and has lived in seclusion for much of it, scraping together resources to pursue his studies.
Abilities: Hanley Argent is a gifted software engineer (and a somewhat skilled regular engineer), well versed in many scientific disciplines, though not to any degree of expertise. A very quiet man, Hanley is good at conducting dealings quietly and without drawing much attention to himself, despite his appearance.
Backstory:
Grey and Hanley Argent first met while both were relatively quite young, Hanley not many years an adult and Grey not many years fully-formed. In each other, they saw potential to pursue the mysteries of the world, to find more than what they knew. Hanley became fascinated with the supernatural, but continued his university studies until he became Dr. Argent, not wanting to draw undue attention or risk exposing Grey, who was nervous about such things. Ever since, they've pursued and supplied their studies independently and low-key, never seeking publication, though occasionally coming into contact with others in-the-know.

When hosting, they are able to manipulate, rather than merely analyze matter. Like in most hostings, Grey's presence strengthens Hanley's body, providing increased strength and resilience, and they buttress each others' mental strength as well. They are surrounded by an aura of silvery light, which can extend outwards in tendrils to move or otherwise mess with matter.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 12:21:49 pm by HugoLuman »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Something like...

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 10:49:09 am by kj1225 »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Note: the backstory is rather important. How did they come to trust one another? There's sort of a motive with Kathil and Deon (though Kathil seems a bit ostentatious for a being whose kind is widely unknown), but Glint and Mars it's just "found em in a freezer."

Also, don't forget the things they can do together! Combined abilities can be spectacular, and should be more than the sum of their individual abilities.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Characters! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 02:56:36 am by Harry Baldman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure about spirits that appear human, as it somewhat undercuts their strangeness and implies they might blend into human society, which they really shouldn't (at least, not without a lot of help). Besides, there'd be some giveaway insubstantial look about them (translucency, blurriness, or glowing, etc.)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Added some combined thingys

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure about spirits that appear human, as it somewhat undercuts their strangeness and implies they might blend into human society, which they really shouldn't (at least, not without a lot of help). Besides, there'd be some giveaway insubstantial look about them (translucency, blurriness, or glowing, etc.)

I assumed that the spirit being visibly insubstantial in some minor way went without saying. A slight undulation of the silhouette, mildly inconstant bodily proportions - not quite things you'd notice from a distance, but increasingly apparent the closer you go. So Hannah the spirit may pass inspection from a distance if she reveals herself, but not from up close, except by certain individuals, Hannah the human included.

Besides, this particular spirit has potentially spent many years imitating and emulating a certain human being. And blending into human society is part of her goal.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 02:58:36 am by Harry Baldman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But why does she want to blend into human society (It's not an impossible goal, but what's the reason, especially given the usual state of affairs)? And does she have a partnership with Cunningham? The accidental murder scene seems to imply so, but it's impossible to do the hosting thing without the other party finding out about it. And despite years of practice, it probably shouldn't be possible to appear convincingly human (or even substantial) for any length of time.

Added some combined thingys
Thematically, they seem somewhat all over the place. I mean, yeah, I get the fire being hellfire, but there should probably be something fire-related presence in one of the individuals. And the lethal mindreading... I dunno, mental stuff like that seems like it would more involve the spirit attacking people than as a combined thing.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But why does she want to blend into human society (It's not an impossible goal, but what's the reason, especially given the usual state of affairs)? And does she have a partnership with Cunningham? The accidental murder scene seems to imply so, but it's impossible to do the hosting thing without the other party finding out about it. And despite years of practice, it probably shouldn't be possible to appear convincingly human (or even substantial) for any length of time.

She's roleplaying with all due seriousness you could expect from a spirit. But what she's roleplaying as happens to be a person who already exists, or rather an ideal version of a person who exists. She is convinced that she herself is Hannah T. Jarrett, the one that could have been and the one that should be. She established her partnership with the human Hannah during the asylum years, when she was highly vulnerable and suggestible, and the human Hannah is not necessarily well aware of how spirits work at all, but quite enough to know the basics of hosting as explained by the spirit Hannah. And to clarify further, no, she wasn't hosting a spirit when she killed Mike Cunningham. That was just her impulsively deciding (it was a very difficult time for her, you see) to smash his head into a counter corner.

And if a spirit can appear convincingly demonic without much practice, why not convincingly human with years of practice? Although if you like, I can keep piling on little tells in the character description - the skin's a little too smooth, unblemished, the movements are gliding rather than pushing, the hair is a single piece of appropriately colored ridged spirit-flesh, the muscles aren't modeled quite correctly (she's gone for the approach of smoothing out the contours of the human version's body, which works better in some places than in others) and so forth, though I don't see how it's particularly relevant to anything. The point is, she doesn't quite hold up to close inspection, but from a distance looks perfectly all right - furthermore, she doesn't quite use her appearance to actually blend in, usually just to appear for the human Hannah. The blending in is actually her end goal - a switch between her and the human Hannah, a reversal of spirit and human roles. Her task is thus manifold - firstly, to get the human Hannah's life as close to the ideal vision as possible. Secondly, to research the nature of spirits and humans to facilitate her goal. And also certain other objectives, of course.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:47:56 am by Harry Baldman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't doubt that with with enough care and practice, a spirit could give themself the perfect image of a human, with no abnormal features, but there would be a tell that it is just an image. As for disguising as a demon, it's not as if demons are objectively existing things to be copied: it would be a supernatural being trying to look like a supernatural being. Though perhaps KJ should provide some kind of insubstantiality detail. But the main thing is, how did she become so obsessed with Hannah in the first place?

The thing about hosting is, it's not something with a general knowledge base on its workings. Its exceptionally rare, something most spirits wouldn't even consider, and so everyone who does it mostly has to figure it out for themselves (especially as the interactions between the unique natures of the individuals involved are rather unpredictable). It's also not really something someone could do with out realizing, or be made to forget that they're doing it. In the material world, there are billions of humans, but only thousands (or maybe millions) of spirits, and only dozens of host-pairs.

As for the spirit Hannah's end goal, it may well be impossible to attain, but even without the more details required I can see how she wouldn't let that dissuade her from trying.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But there are tells that it's just an image. Undulating outline, changing proportions, maybe slight translucence. It's not really important is what I'm saying, as the spirit Hannah doesn't appear to other people or even spirits for fear of being identified as a spirit herself and breaking the illusion in a social setting.

As for why the obsession, that's similarly unimportant. It's an arbitrary decision by an alien thing seeking identity. Perhaps it was the striking look of the human Hannah, maybe her special state of mind, or any number of factors including proximity and alignment of the stars. The story of Hannah the human is exceptional because the spirit chose her, the spirit did not choose her because her story was exceptional. The spirit could have chosen any of a number of people in similar circumstances. Another character concept I had in the same vein, though a little more comical, was one Jerry Lou Williams, a man followed by a spirit Jerry Lou Williams, both insisting they're the real one to each other. This is an equally possible scenario, and the underlying reason for one possibility dominating over the other is narrative causality, in that I think one makes a better story than the other.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 04:16:15 am by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15