Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Lore thread - Of Substance and Spirit - Think we're ready to make characters?  (Read 17189 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Lore thread - as yet untitled potential urban fantasy game
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2015, 12:36:14 pm »

No spirit bottles. The ability to bond shouldn't be tied to an item. Rather, I think the spirit should follow them around, hidden (or maybe invisible) most of the time.

The exact power boost should probably depend on both members of the pair, rather than one, seeing as they boost each other. We should probably think of some examples. Like, say, the human gets magic and can use it in a much more physical way than the lone spirit?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2015, 01:28:49 pm »

So the spirit and person's partnership decides how the boosting works?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2015, 01:59:03 pm »

So the spirit and person's partnership decides how the boosting works?
Their natures decide.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2015, 12:17:12 am »

So let's see what we need to tie together:

1. Human-spirit fusion should be beneficial to both
2. For some reason, humans don't like fusion, despite it being beneficial
3. For some reason, spirits don't like fusion, despite it being beneficial
4. Spirits like dicking around in the human world

I can only think one one way to tie all of them together. First of all, spirits can't physically interact with the world (besides talking, I guess) and their incorporeal magic doesn't affect the corporeal world except in minor ways like making a TV go staticy. In order to meaningfully affect the world, they need to make their magic corporeal. The only way to do that is by possessing a human. Unfortunately for the spirit, the human decides how the magic is used and (possibly) they have the ability to prevent the spirit from leaving and the spirit will die if it's inside the human when it dies.
The human won't like it because it's a painful, fatiguing, and/or nauseating experience. (You can also have it so the human can't just force the spirit out, meaning that it'll have to trust the spirit to not just stay inside and torture them for teh lulz.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:21:56 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2015, 12:33:35 am »

I think what we need to tie together is why the distrust (aside from both seeming like alien beings to each other). Like, perhaps the material beings seem disturbing/icky in some way, and we can get into other reasons for the team-ups being so rare (because it's not so much the hosting process, it's also the idea of hanging around with one of these beings all the time: only a very small amount of their time would be spent hosting, after all). Also, long-term effects can get into more potential disadvantages.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2015, 12:38:28 am »

I still think that if there's disadvantages there should be equal advantages. Newton's law.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2015, 12:41:55 am »

(You can also have it so the human can't just force the spirit out, meaning that it'll have to trust the spirit to not just stay inside and torture them for teh lulz.)
Spirit's going to have to get out, or it will die.

Anyway, it also has to be willing, since posession will probably be a different process.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2015, 12:56:15 am »

I think what we need to tie together is why the distrust (aside from both seeming like alien beings to each other). Like, perhaps the material beings seem disturbing/icky in some way, and we can get into other reasons for the team-ups being so rare (because it's not so much the hosting process, it's also the idea of hanging around with one of these beings all the time: only a very small amount of their time would be spent hosting, after all). Also, long-term effects can get into more potential disadvantages.
I like the appearance ickyness idea.

If you look at a human from a certain perspective, everything about us screams bodyhorror/creepy/thinkingtumor/squick.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2015, 12:57:37 am »

For the same reason that a desiccated corpse to a person is fucking creepy and disgusting.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2015, 01:00:26 am »

Yup~

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2015, 01:09:30 am »

I think what we need to tie together is why the distrust (aside from both seeming like alien beings to each other). Like, perhaps the material beings seem disturbing/icky in some way, and we can get into other reasons for the team-ups being so rare (because it's not so much the hosting process, it's also the idea of hanging around with one of these beings all the time: only a very small amount of their time would be spent hosting, after all).
Then put that in. We really don't need to discuss this aspect - just include it. So long as we're not playing the spirit this caveat shouldn't be a problem.

(You can also have it so the human can't just force the spirit out, meaning that it'll have to trust the spirit to not just stay inside and torture them for teh lulz.)
Spirit's going to have to get out, or it will die.

Anyway, it also has to be willing, since posession will probably be a different process.
That's why I said torture for teh lulz, rather than die for teh lulz. It'll make its host feel like crap for a while and then it'll leave.

Didn't you say earlier that you wanted unconsenting possession to be possible and dangerous?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2015, 01:15:40 am »

Yes, but also a different process that isn't nearly as powerful.

Also, the whole point is for people to play a pair of characters - 1 human, 1 spirit.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2015, 01:17:34 am »

Paired characters tend to be fun also. Lets not forget that.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2015, 01:32:34 am »

Yes, but also a different process that isn't nearly as powerful.

Also, the whole point is for people to play a pair of characters - 1 human, 1 spirit.
What's the problem, again?

Oh that's a problem. Unless the person playing the spirit is really good at RP you're gonna have to provide some pretty sick and disgusting details on what it's like to possess someone made of flesh. If we were just playing as the human, all you'd have to do is write up the spirit's reaction.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2015, 02:49:38 am »

No, because there is such a thing as discretion and conservation of detail. They can just put the spirit's reaction anyways - RP does not require going into the gory details on everything the characters experience. Plus, you seem convinced that hosting absolutely has to be a horrific, painful thing.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15