Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Lore thread - Of Substance and Spirit - Think we're ready to make characters?  (Read 17163 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Lore thread - as yet untitled potential urban fantasy game
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2015, 08:01:12 pm »

So, like digimon?
And yet another thing on the list of things I know very little about:
-All Bioware except NWN and KotOR
-Anything ending in "-mon"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2015, 08:13:28 pm »

Oh yeah, so it's cooperative. Ok. Both the human and the spirit get something out of the deal. That's what cooperative means. BUT, if there are only positives to the bonding, why would any human/spirit NOT want to bond with a spirit/human? That question is important. If there is no reason for spirits and humans to not bond together, then our protagonist wouldn't really be special would she? Everyone would have their own spirit. That's why we need to find both the benefits and drawbacks to bonding with a spirit, even though it's primarily beneficial to both parties which makes it cooperative.

How about this: spirits in the spirit world can last indefinitely but they eventually die in the human world. One spirit has for whatever reason been exiled and is forced to live in the human world where it will die unless it finds a human host. The host it picks is its protagonist who it will occasionally feed off of by possessing it. The resulting possession will empower the human to do cool stuff but it would damage the both of them if the spirit stays in its host for too long.

There. A reason for why the spirit bonds with the human (food), a reason why the human bonds with the spirit (originally not a choice, eventually POWAH), and the short-term problems (burnout). Long-term effects can include being able to stay bonded for longer periods of time. I don't think there really needs to be any downsides to a long-term relationship, though.

This also presents a reason as to why spirits don't just go down to the human world for teh lulz - because it's an automatic death sentence. If it doesn't find a host, it will die. If its host dies while it's still inside of it, it will die. If its host dies while it's outside of it, it will live but it'll then have to find a new host. Inevitably, it will eventually be unlucky enough to be inside a host when it dies.

So, like digimon?
And yet another thing on the list of things I know very little about:
-All Bioware except NWN and KotOR
-Anything ending in "-mon"
Digimon is basically Pokemon except with copious amounts of HERESY. (I never watched Digimon.)
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2015, 08:27:30 pm »

The main difficulty to establishing a bond should be finding a reason to trust one another, as presumably spirits/humans could do some very nasty things to each other while in such close contact. I don't think the spirits should die from being in the human world too long, perhaps they can only stay so long without an anchor, but I do want to leave things open to have spirits that wander/linger around and mess with things.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2015, 08:31:46 pm »

Of course, I like Baldman's worlds affecting each other by bleeding to the other but I don't like his spirit things, I like Andres' idea on the burnout and such but I don't like his spirit lore. I personally think there shouldn't be unified lore on spirits, like, everyone is technically correct. You know those ancient texts talking about Djinn and Daemons, and Angels and stuff? All true but not quite right you know, Which would explain why only now it's a thing for spirits to enter the world, the answer is they've done so before but only now is it coming back, maybe both sides did something to close off the worlds until a more stable time?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2015, 09:02:17 pm »

The main difficulty to establishing a bond should be finding a reason to trust one another, as presumably spirits/humans could do some very nasty things to each other while in such close contact. I don't think the spirits should die from being in the human world too long, perhaps they can only stay so long without an anchor, but I do want to leave things open to have spirits that wander/linger around and mess with things.
How about this: humans and spirits are capable of devouring each-other while in a bonded state where the devoured is destroyed. Humans can get more lifespan out of it (I would think decades, but they could instead just get power) while spirits get more power (or gaining the ability to generate a corporeal body). This should create some trust issues.

I've also come up with a reward for trust. Basically, the human and the spirit devour each-other almost completely at the exact same time. This causes the two beings to temporarily fuse into a truly singular being, giving them more power. If this idea intrigues you I might draw up a visual aid.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2015, 10:40:59 pm »

I think it would be more like super-position. Like, each fills some gap that the other leaves empty in the space they occupy. Or one is metaphorically blue, the other yellow, and when standing together they make a figurative green.

As for fusions, a true fusion could be a potential plot point, and I'm leaning towards it creating something unprecedented and highly dangerous, perhaps reality-breaking.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2015, 11:30:17 pm »

Since you didn't reject the idea outright, here's what I had in mind.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2015, 12:27:48 am »

So, basically what Hugo is thinking from what I understand is that it's more like, you take the start point and go directly to the middle. But it's more like colored lights are used instead of the actual colors.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2015, 12:40:47 am »

I think I could still use some more examples of the kinds of spirits/characters people have in mind, to test out ideas etc.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2015, 12:43:01 am »

Well, you already have mine's, the only thing I can think of that I didn't include was maybe having appearance change over the course of the game.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2015, 03:48:32 am »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2015, 05:10:57 am »

Alright, since people are ripping off video games I'll do it too! What if humans and spirits get addicted to one another during bonding. The human gets a power trip, and the spirit gets to feel physical and emotional experiences. Just like in Warcraft 3 where blood elves get addicted to magic. Since the spirit is not corporeal, maybe at the start of the game you'll need to decide a vessel to keep the spirit in, opening it when it's time to bond.

If you lose the vessel, both the human and spirit lose the ability to bond. It gets even worse if they're both addicted to each other. (By addiction, I mean like they are fiercely jealous of anyone getting close to their partner, gradually growing from annoyance to flat out rage, a la Lord of the Rings and suffer withdrawal effects like the blood elves from Warcraft 3.)

What if the powers that the spirit gives you is the exact opposite of what the human is normally. A very stupid brute would be given superintelligence for example. The power grows as the pair bonds more, but also increases the addiction, finally to the point where one will try to completely consume the other if bonding is used too often. Once this happens, there might be a side quest where the losing partner has to find a way to escape the crazy one and subdue it.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2015, 06:06:25 am »

I feel like effects and drawbacks should depend on the pairing. A powertrip wouldn't really do much for some people. I know if I got the power to do whatever the fuck, I would just increase the quality of living for myself, maybe mess with a few people, maybe find a couple people, and maybe do a few things for the benefit of my friends. Other then that, I would more or less proceed as normal. No real powertrip there.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2015, 08:26:08 am »

Tss, one does not simply bond with a spirit and then pretend like it didn't happen

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2015, 09:26:29 am »

Alright, since people are ripping off video games I'll do it too! What if humans and spirits get addicted to one another during bonding. The human gets a power trip, and the spirit gets to feel physical and emotional experiences. Just like in Warcraft 3 where blood elves get addicted to magic. Since the spirit is not corporeal, maybe at the start of the game you'll need to decide a vessel to keep the spirit in, opening it when it's time to bond.

If you lose the vessel, both the human and spirit lose the ability to bond. It gets even worse if they're both addicted to each other. (By addiction, I mean like they are fiercely jealous of anyone getting close to their partner, gradually growing from annoyance to flat out rage, a la Lord of the Rings and suffer withdrawal effects like the blood elves from Warcraft 3.)

What if the powers that the spirit gives you is the exact opposite of what the human is normally. A very stupid brute would be given superintelligence for example. The power grows as the pair bonds more, but also increases the addiction, finally to the point where one will try to completely consume the other if bonding is used too often. Once this happens, there might be a side quest where the losing partner has to find a way to escape the crazy one and subdue it.

Can't say I like this idea.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15