Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Lore thread - Of Substance and Spirit - Think we're ready to make characters?  (Read 17165 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Lore thread - as yet untitled potential urban fantasy game
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2015, 09:15:11 am »

I'm not sure about their main modus operandi being alteration. I think there should be ways for them to do things directly. It makes thematic sense, given what we're going with so far, that their main thing would be influencing living things (even nonthinking ones) through controlling/warping/influencing them, though that might close some thematic doors.

They can speak to humans - and not only that, they can speak to humans in any shape or form they can think of, with any voice or inflection. This is a side effect of their shapeshifting abilities. Potentially very useful. They can also selectively appear to whoever they wish.

Bear in mind that they shouldn't actually be able to control things directly, so every spirit requires at least some amount of subtlety if they want to successfully work without a living partner (sentient or otherwise).

As for their powers being purely alteration, well, what's the issue, really? Alteration is really a lot like rolling every other potential power into one package if creatively applied.

The way I see spirits, they're very surreptitious and quiet much of the time even if they're directly present, and you (unless you have a spirit helping you point them out and they're not making a particular effort to hide) can never really tell if they're there or not. This already gives them considerable powers and advantages against a mortal, even the learned ones. Indirectness in magic is an underused concept, I think. It also helps make spirits not be like humans, but with extra powers and no real handicaps. Being unable to achieve things directly seems like it would very much distinguish spirits as their own thing.

As for purely living alteration, that seems most appropriate to me, since if we do give them the ability to control nonliving matter to any extent, that does feel like it'd break the game a bit, even as I look back at my previous post.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2015, 12:33:03 pm »

I just want to leave the door open for things that resemble elementals, and otherwise unique and strange powers amongst spirits. As far as hosting goes, if the power boost is an indirect thing where the spirit just rearranges the host's body to make them stronger, then hostings would all be more or less the same (and such benefits would conceivably endure after they stopped hosting). I want to leave alteration on the table, but I was thinking the hosting could allow access to a more direct, physical kind of magic.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2015, 12:39:33 pm »

Well, the question is, of course, how the spirit chooses to strengthen their host's body. It could just as well be by turning their bodies into nanomaterial razors as it could be by turning their fists into plasma torches, or even rendering their entire body gaseous, or any other alteration they may feel like enacting. If a spirit wants to keep to a certain theme (like a djinni creating tendrils of flame reaching out from their host's body or turning kittens into sudden explosions of napalm), that's really up to them, isn't it? It should be remembered that spirits are all about style and self-imposed constraints.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2015, 02:48:25 am »

Maybe spirits can affect things with their magic and fusing with a human not only enhances how well they can use their magic, but it also lets them create with their magic. Maybe spirit magic can only affect energy and only to certain degrees and fusing with a human lets them affect matter with their magic?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2015, 01:41:29 pm »

Tying spirits to energy more than tangible matter sounds like it has merit.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2015, 03:53:28 pm »

Alright then. So they can affect and be affected by things like temperature, light, and radiation. It would be affected by kinetic energy but that relies on mass so it's out of its reach.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2015, 05:01:04 pm »

Well, radiation relies on matter, too, unless you mean EM waves, which falls under light. Though it's cool to get into such details, I also want to avoid veering into a sci-fi tone. I mean, of course people would probably want to analyze spirits, but I want to avoid the whole "looking for ghosts in the haunted house via abnormalities on this dial" shebang.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2015, 05:02:25 pm »

I don't know about science stuff. Just have spirits be able to affect energy but not matter.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:04:32 pm by Andres »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2015, 10:56:07 pm »

Alright, I feel like starting something with this soon.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2015, 11:29:31 pm »

Yes!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I want to make a brief planning thread, but first we'll need a catchy title.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isn't -this- the planning thread?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suppose so. Though you're the only one that posts in it lately. My first idea for the title had been "Hosts" but that sounds a little too much like Stephanie Meyer.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Maybe 'beyond the veil' or something to that effect.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe 'beyond the veil' or something to that effect.
Another forum game or RTD already has the word 'veil' in it in some regard. Maybe 'Spirit Bond'? 'Soul Bind'?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15