Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: N00B Succession Fort  (Read 21207 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: N00B Succession Fort
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2015, 02:04:23 pm »

So. Uh... I'm downloading the save, but I haven't played in months and Gwolfski's emphatic instructions on what not to do are completely incomprehensible to me. It'll probably take me a while to get the hang of things again, but I'll try my best, and probably take as many screenshots as possible. Also, are we dorfing ourselves?

JUST DONT TOUCH ANY AXLES, WATERWHHELS, GEARS OR PU MPS!!!! this better?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sponge

• Bay Watcher
  • I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2015, 02:47:01 pm »

Auctually, i've read more of this, take me off the list. To me, this doesn't seem that nooby. Theres lots of things i don't know about.
I like wearing shoes on both of my feet.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2015, 03:03:02 pm »

That's fine. To be honest, we need more inexperienced people trying things beyond them, to make the fort interesting. Sorry I genned such a boring world, guys.
One wheel short of a wagon

Tuxfanturnip

• Bay Watcher
  • The OS, the tuber, also this bird now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2015, 05:06:05 pm »

Uh. Gwolfski. Why did you dorf yourself as the "genius" and dedicate an entire z-level of the fort to etching your name into the floor? Also the S is the wrong way around, making it GWOLF2KI.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2015, 05:56:45 pm »

I honestly feel that if nothing interesting happens in the next few turns, we should let somebody crazy take a turn, burn everything, and start over in the evil biome three miles north.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Tuxfanturnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2015, 09:42:13 pm »

I've gotten through about 4 months, and it's been... interesting. I don't really know how to insert images...

2 Felsite, year 7:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My name is Tuxfanturnip, though no one here seems to get it right. I go by Tuzvanturi now. I've led a couple of frontier settlements before, but to be appointed overseer of this place is... overwhelming, to say the least.
I'm looking at the census, and someone's profession is listed as "genius?" He's prohibited the export of low boots. Genius. Apparently we don't have a chief medical dwarf, so I appointed one of my colleagues. She has some experience in diagnosis, and how many planters do we need, anyway? We apparently have a "Diagnoser," though. Will she work separately from the CMD?
The Genius is apparently the former overseer, and the captain of the guard, and the baron. I found a note from him, filled with maps of select floors and confusing ramblings about holes in the floor. Apparently there is a hole in the greenhouse roof that needs to stay there, and someone fell down a "magam" tube? I should probably have a memorial put up or something.
Some outside cliffs have been polished smooth. There's a tunnel big enough for wagons halfway down the mountain, but the drawing of the "caravan tunnel" is just a scrap of paper stained with pomegranate wine. I can't make sense of this.
I've found the caravan entrance. That at least makes sense.
I'm just burying myself in maps here and becoming less and less certain of whether I'm more or less insane than the previous overseers: either I'm an idiot or nothing makes sense. Where is the water source that's flooding the unfinished bedrooms and running the power station? What's the station powering? Why is there an inaccessible, empty goods stockpile hanging from the ceiling of a tomb?

3 Felsite:
In just one day I've got dozens of complaints about inaccessible trees, missing animals, and an "inappropriate building" for filling a pond. I think I can manage this, though. We probably need more bedrooms.

5 Felsite:
A couple of miners just caused some minor(ha ha) cave ins on the surface. They'll be fine, but we'll need to be careful with that particular dig. It seems like just about everything is set to top priority though, so the stairs in the caverns that I asked for (to let those whining lumberjacks get to their trees) are being ignored.
Wait.
Gwolfski designated an ENTIRE LEVEL to be mined out and carved with his name.
At normal priority.
Also the S is backward.
I think I'll just redesignate with lower priority. Who am I to deny a citizen their vanities?

19 Felsite:
Things are running mostly smoothly now. Glass blocks for the greenhouse roof are already being made, and there is now a path into the upper caverns to satisfy the woodcutters and haulers. I still don't know where the barracks or hospital are.
Wait. The barracks is down in the caverns, but someone's making ballistas on repeat.

23 Felsite:
I've assigned a few caged vultures to be tamed and ordered a bunch of terrariums to be made. No number, just a bunch. I don't like to boss people around.

1 Hematite:
Summer has arrived! In theory, anyway. We're drowning in silver, so I'm having some furniture made out of it. Everyone seems to be busy smoothing any and everything in the caverns, though. Again, priority 1.

2 Hematite:
Why do we have an everything stockpile? It's being used for food, furniture, ammunition, coins, bars, blocks, gems, goods, leather cloth, weapons, and armor. Everything short of stone, wood and severed limbs is being tossed into one big pile on the top floors.

5 Hematite:
I found a note on one of the dormitory beds: "no loud stuff here."

7 Hematite:
Started work on some new bedrooms. Having most of the fort sleep in the one room makes this place feel like a hill house.

13 Hematite:
The "DO NOT USE THIS ROOM" room has been smoothed. So that's what EVERY SINGLE FREE WORKER has been doing.

14 Hematite:
A human caravan has arrived. Apparently they know how to get up the mountain better than I do. Or not. they seem to have given up and are taking the tunnel to the top.
I may sell a goblin prisoner to the humans. I don't know what else to do with him. Also, we have an inordinate amount of prepared meals.
The humans will feast upon the delicacies of Larudil!
One caravan somehow got stuck in the traps.
What?
Never mind, it's the embark wagon.
WHAT?
It seems wrong to deconstruct it now. It has historic value, and we don't need the wood. I may have a little museum built around it.
Well, that's a fine statue to impress caravans with......?

[OOC] I had a crash here, apparently some graphics driver issue that I can't fix. Occasionally, and apparently at random, my screen will freeze for a few seconds, every open window appears at once tiled together with some other artifacts, and I'm booted to the login screen, closing everything in the process. I resumed from the seasonal autosave and lost a few log entries.

23 Hematite:
All the patients in the hospital have been laid down on their bedside tables. I've learned not to ask questions about these things by now.

7 Malachite:
I've created a stockpile near the dorms for silver furniture: specifically doors, chests and cabinets for the new bedrooms.

10 Malachite:
Just as I was getting the vultures into the egg farm, I heard that Thîkut Adillarros had begun a secretive mood. She's a stonecrafter, so there's not much to expect from it, but hopefully she won't go insane.
The cage traps in the caverns have been bringing in some crundles. I've asked for them to be tamed, though I'm not sure why we need to.

12 Malachite:
Thîkut has claimed a workshop and immediately gone off to fetch materials. The vultures have laid four eggs, so I've told the haulers to let them hatch.

18 Malachite:
The merchants are leaving. No one is taking furniture to the lower stockpile and I can't figure out why.

22 Malachite:
Thîkut has completed her artifact. Not great, but at least she's still alive. Silver furniture is still not going where it needs to, and we're still swimming in silver with over a thousand bars stockpiled.

2 Galena:
I've decided to start on a project: a trap for forgotten beasts. They will be baited up a shaft using cheap doors, sealed in at every step by manually operated drawbridges. Hopefully. I'm routing them through Gwolfski's name; I hope he doesn't mind.

18 Galena:
I found the source of some of the endless job cancellations: there was a pond zone in the trade depot on top of a floor. Hopefully someone will clean up the pile of dropped buckets now.
Also, our trainers have acquired a general familiarity with crundle training methods.
Some goblin corpses are disrupting work outside, so I'm having them dumped into the volcano.

25 Galena:
I'm not sure what the pump stack is supposed to do. And it's taking a while for the bridge to be constructed in the Beast trap. I suppose there's always time for science! Gwolfski said it was flooding his room, but I can't see any leaks. Just in case, I'll install a proper shutoff switch where the power sources connect. Maybe I'll link it to a pressure plate in the baron's room, so if it floods the pumps will shut off. Genius.

2 Limestone:
A siege! They're coming from the top of the mountain, by the volcano. There's a bridge to seal off the farms but I don't know where the lever is. The greenhouse roof isn't finished either, and the main pasture is out in the open... Hopefully the militia can deal with them. There are 37 goblins in total, which doesn't seem too bad, but I've never commanded in an actual battle. Hopefully we don't all die.

4th Limestone:
All the civilians are piling into the upper stockpile now, but some were loo late. Eshtân Kizabizùshrir, Rovod Kirasob, Atír Kasbensazir, Id Nïngurdim, and Kogam Elikäs have died at the hands of two goblins who got into the entrance. My orders to stay in the upper stockpile were taken too literally and no one left it to pull the lever.
The livestock have been massacred in their pasture. Hoofprints in sparse grass are filled with fresh blood.

7 Limestone:
Likot Gusilarzes went down fighting, taking out almost a dozen goblins.
Gwolfski is joining the fray now; he broke a goblin's femur with a single kick before beheading it. Genius.
"This cannot horrify me." I take back everything I said about you, Gwolfski. You are a true hero.
Meanwhile, our Inept Commandant lives up to his title, vomiting on the fortress entrance as he stumbles into battle.
He died running.
Lolor Ilidïteb caught a goblin in the greenhouse and hacked its leg off. The corpse lies at the end of a trail of blood, its arms still reaching for the hole in the roof.

8 Limestone:
The siege has been decimated by the cage traps, and again by Likot's heroism. The prisoners will pay for this.
Only three goblins left now.
It has started to rain.

11 Limestone:
The siege is broken. One survivor. It crawled away.
Population 137.
Caravan is here. Dwarves. Wagon wheels roll over corpses of animals and goblins alike.

Limestone:
The liaison meets with me. How can I tell him? No trade agreement, no amount of fine food, can buy forgetfulness. Armor though... Armor can save lives.
Next year they want crutches, cloth, legwear, shell amulets, crowns, splints, and... windows? bracelets will be good too. Note for next overseer in my room.

14 Limestone:
Traders are at the depot. We don't have time to deal with them right now. There's nowhere to hide from the blood. It's on my shoes. It's on all of our clothes. I went to plant seeds in blood.

Bonus cancellation spam that I forgot how to fit in:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:01:13 pm by Tuxfanturnip »

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 29, 2015, 11:42:58 pm »

Well, in fairness I was just a random peasant conscripted into officerdom and apparently too lazy to train. May I be redorfed? Amperzand, profession; Less Inept Commandant. Military/squad leader, obviously.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #232 on: June 30, 2015, 02:46:13 am »

Uh. Gwolfski. Why did you dorf yourself as the "genius" and dedicate an entire z-level of the fort to etching your name into the floor? Also the S is the wrong way around, making it GWOLF2KI.

why not?

HOW DARE YOU CRITISZIZE MY SPELLING???????????????????

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #233 on: June 30, 2015, 02:51:08 am »

also, DO NOT  try to seell the goblin as it wil be RELEASED!!!!

I told you i was a genius!!!!!!1

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 30, 2015, 02:56:36 am »

Fantastic, Bearcoon's up next, can someone PM him about this please?
One wheel short of a wagon

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 30, 2015, 03:22:27 am »

I'm fairly sure Tuxfan's not actually done yet, he hasn't narrated up to spring, he's probably doing what I did and updating the same post over a few days.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Tuxfanturnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 30, 2015, 12:07:54 pm »

I'm leaving on a trip in a couple days, but I can probably get through most of the year by then. I can re-dorf as I try to create a new military. Are there any other pending dorfings that I haven't noticed? I haven't been following the thread very closely that past couple of weeks.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 30, 2015, 01:46:37 pm »

Don't think so.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Tuxfanturnip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 01, 2015, 12:25:43 pm »

19 Limestone:
We are a duchy. With his newfound power, Gwolfski mandates... low boots. He also wants one more of all his furniture. That's easy enough.

20 Limestone:
Bought some armor, some metal, all the animals, and some anvils for melting.
There will be a new military soon.

27 Limestone:
A few farmers apparently have some skill in bashing weapons. They will form our main squad, now renamed to The Knots of Smashing (actually smashng; there's not enough room on the paperwork)
Our new militia commander has inherited the name of Amperzand and will hopefully be less inept.

28 Limestone:
The caravan is leaving, and Gwolfski announced a last-minute ban on exporting floodgates. I'm pretty sure we're good on that one, though.

5 Sandstone:
We will build a room for the prisoners. It will be filled with water and blunt spears.

10 Sandstone:
We will test the pump stack, ready to shut it off immediately. Any project to take my mind off the blood...

11 Sandstone:
It's doing something...
Seems all right actually.

16 Sandstone:
Someone left a giant pile of frayed clothes and corpses in one of the rooms. Can someone just... take them up to the volcano? As long as they're out of sight it doesn't matter where they are.

23 Sandstone:
Our siege engineer... He doesn't do anything else. I've told him to do mechanics too, help get the goblin room up and running.
Gwolfski is sparring with the new recruits. He worked Erush until he passed out from exhaustion.

1 Timber:
There is now a shutoff switch for only the lower pump stack, which I have used to drain the intermediate reservoir for construction.

4 Timber:
One of the vultures reverted to its wild state and was put down by Zuglar Shemkifed, a planter.

18 Timber:
The goblin room is almost complete; the spikes just need to be linked to the levers.

27 Timber: Another vulture went wild and was put down. The eggs should hatch soon...

2 Moonstone:
The pumps have flooded some side area of the floor below the gate. Huh. I'm having them shut off for now. Something about all those gears grinding away bothers me.

17 Moonstone:
The spears are linked to a lever in the dining room. The goblin room is ready for its first victim.
Asmel was injured while throwing a bowman into the pit.

21 Moonstone:
Ber Omosposp has succumbed to the pit. Her body is being removed before the next use.

1 Opal:
Kivish Thobvucar, a brewer, has begun a strange mood.
A swath of Level Gwolfski is now being used for furniture overflow.

2 Opal:
Gems and bones are being put together mysteriously.

4 Opal:
Started work on new stockpiles for cages and such. The current animal stockpiles are full of goblins and crundles.

7 Opal:
A gem throne! better than I'd expected.

9 Opal:
Somehow a goblin spearman has escaped the pit. The current method of dropping in goblins is too dangerous. But the mechanics can get to work after the escape has been dealt with.

10 Opal:
Aban arrived too late. The dining room is full of corpses.

20 Opal:
A named steel mace. Fine by me, though it would be better if we could exchange it for silver.

1 Obsidian:
A magma sea? How did we see that?
Someone got a peek through the caverns, I guess.

13 Obsidian:
By placing the cages inside the pit itself and deconstructing them using a lever, the remaining goblins have been safely taken care of.

18 Obsidian:
After several... incidents, I've decided to open up part of the cemetery for pet burials. At the very least I won't have to expressly tell people to dump pets into the volcano.

24 Obsidian:
I'm tired. These squiggles I drew should make for some interesting bedrooms.

27 Obsidian:
Coins. Thousands of coins.  I guess we could trade them? What's the point? I suppose someone else was as annoyed with the excess of silver as I am.

1 Granite:
Spring! Only a couple more months of overseership for me. I suppose my most significant legacies will be a mountain of trained crundles and a horrific death pit. I doubt I'll have time to finish the Beast trap, though I'll try.

26 Granite:
Amidst rushing to complete the Beast trap and making sure the fortress keeps running smoothly for my successor, I've started some new catacombs by the volcano.

1 Slate:
With enough mechanisms, linking for the Beast trap is underway. I don't have much to do. Maybe I'll add some small private rooms scattered around.

7 Slate:
Mistêm Âmidzasit is taken by a fey mood. That's the third mood this year!

12 Slate:
Misty has begun construction and I've found an easy and safe way to drain the area filled by the pumpstacks. May help with hunting, too.

15 Slate:
The vulture eggs seem not to have been fertilized. They're going to the kitchens now. Perhaps their better-trained successors will be easier to breed.
The artifact is complete!
A wooden bin. Fine.

18 Slate:
The broker tells me we're wealthy enough to become the mountainhomes. It's just a matter of buttering up the next caravan: We need to offer about 3500☼ more in goods. It would be best to have some royal rooms before then, though.
Chicks have hatched! 13, specifically. These will make a nice addition to our egg-layers.

21 Slate:
We're out of silk, so I asked the manager for 90 sets of cloth clothing: robes or tunics, shoes, socks, trousers and caps.

22 Slate:
Note to the next overseer: If you hear some panicked reports of a wild animal, it's most likely nothing. Almost all of the animals being trained are safely caged in stockpiles.

23 Slate:
Wedged in a corner of a hallway is a single wall which no one can properly reach to construct. The purpose of this wall is quite clear: a few floors above, a drawbridge holds back lava from flowing through this passage. Without that wall, a pull of the wrong lever can flood the dining room and everything below it in liquid fire.
A single mined chunk of wall later, and construction continued as normal. Crisis averted.

1 Felsite:
Just as I complete orders for my final mark upon this place, my time comes to step down. May future overseers bring this place to prosperity.
Some of the new bedrooms are unfurnished, but the Beast trap should be operational. I will leave you with some maps.

Spoiler:  Mountaintop (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Greenhouse (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Gate level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Egg farm/misc level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Stockpiles/catacombs (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Furnace level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Duke's rooms (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Bedrooms (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  GWOLF2KI (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I got the save up: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10968
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 12:42:06 pm by Tuxfanturnip »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #239 on: July 02, 2015, 02:07:01 pm »

you know, you completely broke the water reservoir, you noob. that was the m agma room drain. ill have to wait fort he whole thing to drain and someones fps could have gotten ab ig hit!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21