Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: N00B Succession Fort  (Read 21238 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: N00B Succession Fort
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2015, 08:15:36 pm »

So!  I am assuming that four days is enough, and I will start.  If there are any objections, well, as long as I don't take too long, you had 4+ days.  I'll be done soon!  If the OP complains, I suppose I'll have to stop, though.

Granite 1st, 5:

Hi!  I'm crazy, apparently, everybody's gone single-color flat outlines and I feel so weird.  Maps in my head, oysters in my clothes, and green glass!  Yes!

Larudil has 522,595 created wealth, with the majority of that being "Other Objects."  It has five artifacts: a mule bone shield, a rhyolite hatch cover, a tetrahetrite mug, a copper mace, and a bronze weapon rack.

It has seventy-three meals' worth meat, no fish, one thousand, eight hundred and eighty-six plants, one thousand, one hundred and fifty-one seeds, two hundred and five drinks' worth of alcohol, and six hundred and ninety-three cooked meals.  Its population numbers at eighty-eight, with most of its population being either craftsdwarves or farmers.  Two dwarves are dead.  Apparently, a miner named Mistem Ardeszuglar killed a furnace operator named Lokum Dastotkonos, and later bled to death.

I don't give any orders yet, just watch everyone work.

Apparently, a dwarf by the name of "Dastot Sabremurdered" has made several masterful earthenware items, and created a figurine of him doing just that.  Interesting.  It seems he is legendary.

There is a large dug-out area belowground.  I love all the random dug-out engravings!  Artistry = chaos.

Granite 5th:

It has come to my attention that we need more bedrooms.  I shall order them carved out in the same manner as the already-existing ones.  Why does the artist keep messing up?  I said ONE row, not TWO!  And why is Likot's bedroom filled with rotting meat?  I know he's a butcher, but he doesn't do it in his room!  As Unalastesh isn't allowed to collect plants, but he still does it!  This place has gone insane.  I love it!

Granite 6th:

We have a barrel...  Of gremlin tears...  In our trade depot.  YES!

Granite 7th:

Kulet Eriththak is a talented wood cutter.  He is also a skilled mason.  He is told to do masonry but not stone detailing.

He is engraving.

Granite 8th:

And now there is fruit in the wall.  I'm going insane.  Haha!  HahaAAH1!!!!

By the way, did I tell you who I am?  I'm the manager, and I revel in chaos and discord!  Haha!  Avuz Adilaval!  That's me!  I'm also a leatherworker, weaver, clothier, and the official bookkeeper.  I've been here the whole time!  I decide to appoint a chief medical dwarf (the most highly skilled diagnostician) and a hammerer (the captain of the guard, named "Gwolfski."  Odd name).

We have eighty-five coffins cluttering up our stockpiles, so I order them placed in the sandy tomb area in a rather haphazard way.  Now everybody's running to get them.

Granite 9th:

Nobody's built one yet, but there are plenty of them inside the coffin room, trying to find a place to put them.  Just anywhere!  Hah!

Everyone's telling me there's no sand!  Every two seconds!  Yes!  So chaotic!  But wait!  No sand means no green glass!  What to do...  Just shout out 'SAND!  GET SAND!' and let everyone work it out!  Chaotic and green glass!

GOBLI- oh, wait, it's just a guineahen.  How could I have mistaken a guineahen for a goblin?  Because I'm crazy!

Granite 10th:

Now that the coffins are somewhat gone, the bars and goods cluttering up the workshops can be tossed about in a big pile!  Super haphazard!  Me like!  Also bismuth bronze trumpet which looks just right.

Granite 11th:

Everybody's going through and smoothing the stone.  It's not an improvement, but later we can engrave it to make it even more chaotic!

Granite 12th:

There are lots of random tracks and staircases and magma and water and logs holding back magma and tons of sketched out stone indicating cave-ins and down staircases with no up staircases and this!

"Engraved on the floor is a superiorly designed image of Vucar Minefigure the dwarf by Sibrek Stigazamost.  Vucar Minefigure is cooking.  The artwork relates to the masterful biscuits prepared by the dwarf Vucar Minefigure for the Salve of Notching at Metlanterns in the late summer of 2.

Granite 13th:

And this!  "This is a rhyolite statue of Mestthos the Helmed Covers.  The item is an image of Mestthos the Helmed Covers, the deity of fortresses, depicted as a male dwarf in rhyolite by Degel Nishisak.  Mestthos the Helmed Covers is engraving."

Granite 14th:

Gasis Lur, the Satins of Hate: "Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of Lokum Swordbrass the dwarf and Mistem Wheelclearing the dwarf by Tulon Sarveshgerig.  Mistem Wheelclearing is striking down Lokum Swordbrass.  The artwork relates to the killing of the dwarf Lokum Swordbrass by the dwarf Mistem Wheelclearing in Metlanters in the early winter of 3.

Granite 28th:

Ineth Dorenzuntir woke up and started screaming about some idea of hers.  Yes!  Random weird creations!  I'm so light-headed, and ibexes will die.  She's still unconscious, but she'll start thinking soon.  Gem cutting is her profession, and she will do gemwork.

Slate 1st:

Now she's gone to the shop of working gems, going to scream about...  Yes, to scream, scream she must, and she must have rough gems.

Working on project is she, just a rough red pyrope.  Can see the future, know it'll be either perfect gem or gem item.

Slate 5th:

Ineth has made Tabardetes, red pyrope bucket, need well anyway.  Needs plumbing, ask miners...  Have water in pit.  Build big thing up, up, up...

It is Faithrams, and it is high in quality, most certainly the most so, and encrusting is done with rectangles of the same.  Will go with rope and blocks, make happiness.

Ineth is happy, satisfied, legendary, now cut.

Slate 7th:

Dumat, you must, found while smelting silver, found the water, build architect.  You will not make, so Dumat, go.

Hoahaaahhaaaa!!!!  GROUNDHOGS!!!~
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2015, 08:19:48 pm »

Avuz's Mad Ravings!:

Granite 1st:

Everything's new and solidly-colored and this has happened before with groundhogs!
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2015, 09:59:13 pm »

...Sorry about the Gremlin Tears, I thought they might be some kind of alcohol, they were cheap, and the end result was amusing. Engraving everything seemed like a good idea at the time, nobody was doing anything and like half the dwarves had literally every task enabled, so I just started designating stuff that wouldn't be bad to have done until people did stuff.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2015, 04:04:38 am »

Great! I'll change the list to skip ILBane now.
One wheel short of a wagon

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2015, 04:07:15 pm »

You know, I honestly have no idea what the person playing before me thought he was doing. The fort had all kindsa' weird stuff going on. Seriously, I only made it better.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2015, 06:02:25 pm »

OOC: Explanation for "Groundhog Day": Crashes are !!FUN!!, and I decided on something else.  I was tired (i.e., equivalent to drunk in terms of incapability to think).

Also, gremlin tears might just be a bit weird to drink.  I think I'll sell them back to some traders.  Or keep them as a mascot.

In Characterization:

I have arrived at Larudil.  It was said to be a safe haven for the "newbs" to fortress overseeing.  Only "newbs" could join, but I stayed on the waiting list until I wasn't a newb.  Unintentionally, I swear.

I walk into the fortress region.  The first thing I see is a dwarf attempting to grab a plant, who looks like she has no idea what she's doing.  That's not a good sign.

Inside the fortress proper, I see a hall of traps.  That is good.  Further beyond that, there is a staircase, much too small to be the main staircase for a fortress this size.  There is also a humongous jumbled pile of basically every loose item in the fortress

This place needs me.  If it is truly to be a "safe haven" for "newbs," it needs to not fall.  I am not sure whether it is really a "safe haven" or no, but I will make it as steady as I can.

The first real construction I come across is a trade depot. holding metal bars and...  A barrel of tears?  Labeled "Germln Teers"?  Oh, my.  The broker must have been fooled into thinking it was some kind of cheap alcohol.  And there are two worn pig tail fiber trousers, covered in spatters of blood.  There are engravings on the wall, at least.  Some are of random objects or dwarves rising to positions, but one is of a dwarf killing another dwarf.  This does not bode well...

Who is this "Amperzand" that some would call him the "Barbarian of Families"?  I ask Aban Missodel, a planter, who is the first dwarf I see, who the leader is.  "Avuz Adilaval, an insane dwarf," he says.  "Are you here to lead us?  Good."

I have my work set out for me.

Granite 1st:

Tulon Leddomas is being praised throughout the fortress for engraving a "masterfully designed image of Problemadored the Brilliant Teachers the mule bone shield," titled "The Squashed Corruption."  I, too, am here to squash corruption!  Or something like that.

A previous overseer ordered the butcher's shop surrounded by "Corpses," but that would mean dwarven corpses!  We need a refuse stockpile instead.

Granite 15th:

Several dwarves are storing rotting food in their bedrooms.  I order it taken away to the dumps.

Slate 19th:

I've been cleaning up the random bits of food everywhere.

Slate 25th:

Some migrants have arrived.  Notably, there is a siege engineer and blacksmith.  He worships the deities of minerals and metals.  Cool.  He's also a macedwarf.  I'm planning on walling off the caverns.

Felsite 3rd:

Kosoth Ustzasit, a potash maker, was taken by a fey mood!  He's a proficient metalcrafter.

Felsite 4th:

He's claimed a magma forge and is screaming, "I must have metal bars!  I must have rough gems!  I must have tanned hides!"  He ran to the trade depot and got some bismuth bronze bars.  Then he went to the gem stockpile and got some rough amethysts.

Felsite 5th:

And some cow leather and he's ready to go!

Felsite 10th:

Kosoth Ustzasit, Potash Maker has created Mozirrerith, a bismuth bronze chain!  It will go well in a well...  Deja vu?

It is adorned with hanging rings of bismuth bronze, amethyst, and cow leather.

"I shall name you Routedchaoses.  That was very satisfying!"

Work on the cavern walling-off is proceeding quickly.

Hematite 9th:

The humans have arrived.  With our masterful earthenware trade goods, we should be able to get a good many things from them.

Hematite 12th:

I notice that: a. the halls get clogged with dwarves when we bring out the trade goods, and b. we have almost no bins.  I will order bins made and the hallways extended.

Hematite 17th:

Kogan Idsezuk has been elected mayor.  "I won the election.  I am so grateful!"

Hematite 18th:

A terrified pangolin is rolling around.  Odd.

Galena 19th:

Fikod Thabostlogem, Milker is taken by a fey mood!  As only a dabbling weaver, I think she'll make a craft.  "People should listen to what I have to say."

Indeed, she has claimed a Craftsdwarf's Workshop.

Galena 20th:

She's grabbed some silver nuggets.

Galena 21st:

And some tetrahedrite.

Galena 22nd:

And some rock crystals, and some bone opals.

Galena 28th:

Now Fikod's done.  She's made Katakur, a native silver drum, which is worth 45,600 coin.

Limestone 15th:

The outpost liaison and the caravan have come.  I asked Kogan Idsezuk, the mayor, to make sure she requested essential supplies from the mountainhome.

Limestone 18th:

As Kogan meets with Morul, the outpost liaison, the traders unload their goods.

Limestone 25th:

Good trading session today, according to Rovod.  She warmed up with some offers and small trades, then went to the real trading with a vengeance.  We got good items, drinks, and foods.

Sandstone 11th:

Not much happening.  I carved out a new section of entrance that is still fortified by the drawbridge,

Sandstone 13th:

WOULD YOU SHUT UP?!  I KNOW THAT SOME MOSS GREW OVER THE CLAY, GO GET IT FROM THE BIT OF CLAY RIGHT NEXT TO IT!  STUPID DASTOT!

Everybody pitches in to help build a protective rim around the magma pipe and expand our dining hall.

Sandstone 18th:

Finally, the vultures have been exterminated.  Now some wild boars come in and are promptly shot to death by our hunters.

Sandstone 19th:

I stand corrected.  They are shot to near-death, then put out of their misery by our ragtag militia with steel weapons, while the hunters run around screaming "SAVE ME!!!"

*facepalm*

Sandstone 24th:

I order the stockpiles expanded.

Sandstone 25th:

A swarm of miners rushes out to mine.  After them, a rush of engravers smooths the floor, saying things like "Work hard." or "Do your duty."  This makes me feel good inside.

However, their constant rushing up to me and saying "I've found some warm stone!" is getting kind of annoying.

Is is obsidian?  No.  Does it have magma leaking out of it?  No.

It is simply above a magma pipeline.

And yet they tell me this EVERY SINGLE TIME they encounter some warm sand.

OOC: D*** it, it keeps crashing!  Every single time!  Whenever my computer goes to sleep, and I wake it back up, it displays "Dwarf Fortress is not responding and needs to close" or some other d*** error message.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:29:40 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2015, 08:24:06 pm »

Dangit, I just fortified those. If you want the caverns sealed, just raise the bridges, I set up enough 'N'otes to make it obvious how, I think.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2015, 02:14:30 pm »

Amperzand, I mean, (sorry!  I was typing from my phone) I'm sure that some noob will forget to close the drawbridge, and besides, I'd like to have a completely secure portion of the caverns so that we don't have to worry about troglodytes mauling our woodcutters and herbalists.

By the way, I can't seem to be able to change the labors, whether it be with DFHack's autolabor manipulator that I thought was autolabor, Dwarf Therapist, or just the normal way.   Bug?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:49:31 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2015, 02:17:07 pm »

...Didn't happen for me... Admittedly, I had dorfs doing stuff they weren't supposed to be doing, so I'unno. Here's guessing it's a bug. Maybe we've attracted our own version of Terry the Friendly Local Eldritch Code Monster?
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2015, 12:46:52 am »

Because I was feeling fairly bored, I retired my copy of the fort and got an adventurer there. Pretty interesting to see the things we built through crappy human darkvision and a single-unit perspective.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2015, 03:50:11 pm »

I figured it out!  Stupid autolabor that hides when I enable it and doesn't disable when told to!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 12:49:56 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2015, 05:27:07 pm »

Really? Okgood, here I was worried we had a Terry and it was my fault because I went near Deathgate one time.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2015, 06:02:36 pm »

While I realize the difficulties of completing a succession turn quickly, how's it going?
Muh FG--OOC Thread

drago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2015, 09:28:48 pm »

Hihi,

I will like to join the succession game.

I'm not totally a Noob... Still remember my newbie days, trying to figure out the controls and giving up a few times. Luckily, I came back and found the lazy newbie pack.

As such, I cannot do without the newbie pack - Mayday graphics (sorry but hates the ASCII as when I dig a square room, in the ASCII version, it don't looks squarish. I always need to double count to make sure I got the counts right.), Dwarf Therapist, DFHack - Workflow production Target, View item information (beta), Pure Bugfixes.

I can't do without the workflow production as find it a chore to micro manage everything.

However, up to now, I have not found magma and have not encountered a goblin siege.

Below are some of my fortress
1. Boring fortress with lots of woods - build underground farm and stone crafter industry. Gets boring as around 5 years but still nothing challenging happens. However, good training ground to get acquainted with the game. Quit after about 5 years.
2. Pure Terrifying biomes - very fun but did not last a full year. Successfully irrigated underground farm but output liaison came. Ignore them and did not open drawbridge as nothing to trade. Output liaison and guards got killed and raised as zombies. Migrants came and make a mistake to open the drawbridge for them. Whole fortress wiped out by zombies. Send in 3 - 4 parties to reclaim and all got wiped out.
3. Hill with 1 hex river - first time encountered zombie siege. Stone fall Traps insufficient/ineffective against zombie. Stupidly send my 1 member squad to draw zombies into fortress and when tried to cancel, can't. Squad got killed by zombie and another cleaner got killed before able to close inner drawbridge. Eventually wait out the siege. First time hit cavern but did not explore. Stupidity killed my exp leader when he went to collect stockpile and crushed by closing drawbridge. Another 2 casualties via drawbridge when creating the failed double drawbridge entry protection system from the cavern. Save game corrupted and thus lost game. (learn to enable backup save from now on)
4. Current Hill with no river - no farming and wood. All obtained via trading. Luckily have but coal and lig and thus can create coke for my weapon trap. Zombie siege wiped out by my 200+ weapon trap. Were-raccoon infiltrated my fortress and killed 4-5 dwarves. Subsequently months later, another 2 separate cases of were-raccoon attacks (believe some dwarves are infected). Total casualties around 10+ (including my starting exp leader, legendary craftsdwarf - my main source of revenue generation). Expected to increase as no source of water for injured. Found a cavern but don't dare to explore.

However, I will like to state in advance.
1. I'm a lousy player and the player after me might have to handle - walled in siege, significant casualties from magma (as have not touched magma yet)

Hope to have your reply

Thanks

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2015, 01:57:05 am »

Have been a little out of touch. Fortress might be complex enough for you to count as a noob. Let's ask the community on this one. Guys?
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21