Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [s]Forum titles[/s] Derail talk  (Read 6323 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: [s]Forum titles[/s] Derail talk
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 12:07:18 pm »

Well, there's evidence of serious discrimination against escaped Lunatics.
"Serious." I take it you mean people doing giveaways in OG restricting them to people who joined earlier than the time the giveaway started?  ::)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 12:26:02 pm »

The only place I've really seen it is the other games forum where someone's talking about a game they're developing. "The you just joined to sell your game, your not a DF player" kind of comment. In a way that's understandable but often (at least to me) it comes across quite rudely & in some cases they are going to be DF players who up until then had no reason to post.

It can be a bit weird for a lurker, I read quite a bit on the forums but very rarely post. So I'm quite often here and have been for a while but still have a relatively low post count.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 01:00:37 pm »

The only place I've really seen it is the other games forum where someone's talking about a game they're developing. "The you just joined to sell your game, your not a DF player" kind of comment. In a way that's understandable but often (at least to me) it comes across quite rudely & in some cases they are going to be DF players who up until then had no reason to post.

It can be a bit weird for a lurker, I read quite a bit on the forums but very rarely post. So I'm quite often here and have been for a while but still have a relatively low post count.
Then someone could see your stats, see your time spent on the forum, and when you created an account. If you acclaim to be a lurker that has been around with an account for awhile, and your stats don't go with what your saying, it looks a lot like your just advertising your game. Takes about two clicks to see all of that anyways.
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 01:02:02 pm »

But some lurkers just lurk as guests for sometimes years before making an account and posting.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 03:36:40 pm »

I lurk a many hour without being logged in. I usually dont have anything to post or comment on so I stay logged off. Also, it is kinda nice having a name/badge saying how long you have been on some forum but it can really lead to discrimination on what someone has to say, even if it has nothing to do with their post count or time there.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 03:39:31 pm »

Yeah, visible postcount and forum titles beyond "I'm not completely new," are incredibly unhealthy for an online community.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 05:09:26 pm »

Mmh, I remember being on the IGN forums and there was some serious ego wankery. Not Wikipedia-bad, but still pretty bad.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 07:57:49 pm »

I remember there being a huge list of different titles on the old NOA forums. Don't remember much point to them.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 08:03:06 pm »

When I was 12 I spammed the heck out of a forum to get a title.
Postcount fetishism is weird and I don't think it should be encouraged.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 10:11:00 pm »

Yes. Forum title counts for nothing.

Sig is true form of forum epeen. It shows the places you've been, the things you've done and the people you've known; all within the forum.
Truly, forum title cannot dream to encapsulate the breadth of experience a person has had. (oh wait they have achievements in them now? I guess nvm)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 10:24:23 pm »

My sig just says birds...
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 10:33:39 pm »

It keeps it from occupying more characters for the length limit while still being able to link to it, by setting it to 1 second after the beginning of time.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 10:35:10 pm »

Well, there's evidence of serious discrimination against escaped Lunatics.
Well, it's not awfully hard to pump up yourself up the Bay Watcher, so I would argue discrimination in this case is justified. I mean given that people who've been here forever have the same title as someone who just just joined and posted a couple things, it's pretty fair and balanced.

Incidentally, does anyone know Toady's reasoning for the titles Escaped Lunatic and Bay Watcher? I have an idea in my head, but I'm curious what actually impelled him to choose those titles in particular.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 10:45:18 pm »

Incidentally, does anyone know Toady's reasoning for the titles Escaped Lunatic and Bay Watcher? I have an idea in my head, but I'm curious what actually impelled him to choose those titles in particular.

We're all former patients at an insane asylum?  :P
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 11:58:49 pm »

It keeps it from occupying more characters for the length limit while still being able to link to it, by setting it to 1 second after the beginning of time.
THE WORLD BEGAN IN 1970.
CHECKMATE ATHEISTS>
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4