Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981): Second Level  (Read 10568 times)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981): ASHES
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 06:10:44 am »

outrageus! thise priest should give us our money back!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:39:11 pm by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 09:59:31 am »

The priests are quite firm on that subject. No Refunds. Ever.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2015, 02:45:14 pm »

Birdviggens will be more of a Thief than Kaosian will ever be! All hail the gnome! Conqueror of Dwarf Ashes!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2015, 03:37:03 pm »

[img]
Heh, when I downloaded the game, I originally thought you were supposed to just recruit adventurers from the tavern. Whoever previously played the game had left a bunch of high-level characters they couldn't afford to resurrect in the tavern. Imagine my surprise when I recruited a full party, only to find that all but one of them was already dead.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2015, 05:04:51 pm »

Once more into the deep, my friends!

Newly leveled-up, we proceed past the known extents of the dungeon without issue. Shortly past the old hallway, we pass into a door with a large chamber at the end. I decide to cast MILWA for the first time to get us a better view, and also capture some screenshots that aren't totally identical. Man, we can see a lot farther now! I'm not sure what that checkered bit represents.

What?

Shoulda listened. We're now in... fog, or blinding light, or something. I manage to find my way back to where I started blind- I guess we'll save that area for later. At the end of a long westward hallway, I find the stairs down to the next level of the dungeon. We'll leave them alone for now.

I wander north into a series of more complicated rooms, and we have another encounter against 4 humanoids and 4 kobolds- luckily we get a surprise attack. Using one sleep spell, we dispatch them without taking a single blow- two of them even ran away. There's a chest afterwards- Birdviggins doesn't think it has a trap (the fool) and Broken sets off a poison needle when he inspects it himself, prompting another run out of the dungeon.

So far, we've explored this.

Not to be deterred by our third poisoning, I return the party to the dungeon. The maze gets more complicated in the northwest quarter, including a room which is one tile and four doors.

We get ambushed by a large party of three slimes and four orcs. During the surprise round, everybody in the front row takes a small amount of damage, and one of the monsters even runs away! Neotetsu sets another damage record of 20 in a single blow. When we're inspecting the chest afterwards, Tawarochir sets off a crossbow bolt on himself and takes three damage.

In another room, we encounter a new enemy type- two rogues.

That guy sure looks like a barbarian to me, but I guess I'll just have to take the game's word for it. We kill one, and the other runs for it. We explore several more rooms including a couple behind a secret door- I only know it was a secret door because it turned into a regular wall after the light spell ran out (they look just like normal doors when you've got your spell up, which is annoying. If you try to find secret doors without the light spell, you're going to be looking at this message a lot:

We encounter another party of orcs and defeat them without a single injury. The encounters on the first floor are beginning to look easy (though I suppose I shouldn't get cocky). After chewing through some more monsters, we find a chest that Birdviggins thinks is armed with a "priest blaster". Sounds hardcore. I'm really wary of setting off traps by inspecting them, so I only ask Neotetsu for second opinion, since he still has 15 health. He thinks it's a teleporter.

God dammit, I am beginning to hate chests.

I'll have Birdviggins disarm it on the notion that it's a priest blaster...

OOPS! POISON NEEDLE.

I'm beginning to think that you guys are incompetent. Ah well, nothing to do but cast a heal spell and run for it. It's not long before we're in another ambush!

You know what, I'm beginning the think the monsters are incompetent. On the next round of battle, the remaining kobold runs away as well. That's kind of annoying because we don't get any experience for monsters that run away, but at least we come out with 60 more gold.

Shortly before the stairs, we get attacked one more time- 5 orcs. Birdviggins is now down to 3 HP, so I lay into the orcs while trying to heal him, and order him to parry. After the surprise round I go all out on spells, with Broken healing, Hanzoku casting a KATINO to sleep the enemies and Tawarochir casting a HALITO to blast them.

When we finally escape the dungeon, Birdviggins has 4 HP and we're all our of healing spells. But, we made it! Together the party has 513 gold, and they're all ready to level up.

Above is my level up. I've finally got some HP to fall back on!
Neotetsu had a crappy level this time- he gained 1 HP and an Agility, but lost IQ, Piety and Vitality.
Birdviggins gained 1 HP, gained Strength and Luck, and lost Piety.
Broken had a much better level. He gained 12 HP, Strength, IQ, Piety, and Agility, but he lost Vitality and Luck.
Hanzoku gained IQ, Luck, and 1 HP, but lost Strength, Piety and Agility. Can I just go out on a limb and say this level up system is terribad?
Tawarochir gained 1 HP, Strength, Vitality, Agility, and Luck, but lost Piety. Lucky he's not a priest.

Broken gained 3 2nd-level Priest spell points. He learned MATU, MANIFO and MONTINO. MATU reduces the party's AC by 2, MANIFO turns monsters to stone for a round (so it's like KATINO but works on sleep-immune monsters) and MONTINO prevents enemies from casting spells.
Hanzoku doesn't seem to have gained any spells or spell points, which sucks.
Tawarochir gained 2 2nd-level Mage spell points. He learned DILTO and SOPIC. DILTO puts an enemy group of monsters in darkness, which makes them easier to hit somehow. SOPIC reduces the caster's AC by 4 for an encounter.

Lastly, here's what we mapped out so far:

I've marked the secret door with an S, and the foggy (or whatever) area with a question mark. I also recorded the locations of the staircases with little arrows.

So yeah, some of those level-ups have been miserable. I wonder if we'll want to replace some characters with fresh ones at some point. Also, should I continue to map out the first floor, or begin exploring the second one?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Man, why do I keep losing out on piety? SCREW YOU, GODS!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

Oooh!  Oooh!  Can I join the team? 

Just kidding, DIE!
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

SCREW YOU, GODS!
See, THIS kind of thing is why you keep losing out on piety. :P

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Oooh, I really need to get a dosbox setup for this so I can run it on my 64bit machine. Great game, even after all this time!

I'll join in:
Name - Mephansteras
Race - Elf
Class - Samurai, if not that Bishop
Alignment - Good

BTW: Letting monsters who propose a truce get away shifts the party towards good. Attacking them shifts the party towards evil. This is how you change alignment in the game (for the most part).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:25:12 pm by Mephansteras »
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

I think everybody's slowly turning to stone. HP keeps going up, everything else seeps away.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2015, 03:37:10 am »

Nowhere near enough empty bottles!

And as for Kaosian, time for burial at sea, (or the nearest sewer), and reroll.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Today, two more fools decided they were ready to wander off of the training grounds and into the maze.

The first is Mephansteras. I rerolled a couple times before getting enough points to be a Bishop...

The second is Kaosian MK2. This new, improved model eschews most of the flaws of the older one, by just being a Samurai instead. I mean, come on, when I saw you rolled 18(!) bonus points, I couldn't bear to waste that kind of opportunity on a Dwarf Thief.

The original Kaosian is flushed down the toilet given a burial at sea.

Yes, sooner or later, we are going to chew through all the illustrations in the manual. That 54 page booklet really is half the game.

After our heroes are fresh off the training field, or any time I close the game and load it again, they can all be found relaxing in Gilgamesh's Tavern. Thus, this represents our current roster.

For the time being I'm going to take all the old party members into the dungeon. If the party gets too far along without needing any replacements, I'll take our bench players into the dungeon for a good old grinding session (where the high-level characters do all the work and the low-level ones sit in back soaking up EXP).

I buy a shield for myself, and we're off. It's time to explore the eastern portion of the maze.

Scratch that- first I use up all of Broken's DIOS spells, sleep him in the stables to replenish them, and THEN we go into the dungeon. Can't be too careful.

The first thing I do is run into one of the rooms we've already been to for a free, easy encounter. We kill a few slimes, get a little XP, and Birdviggins successfully identifies and disarms a chest (his track record is a lot better than the last guy).

At the end of a long northward hallway, all the way up to the border of the map, we come to a room with two secret doors. One leads to a small empty room. Another...

Wow, that's more ominous than I've come to expect so far. But, hell yeah I'll search!

Searching resulted in a message "Sensei got an item." In my inventory is now a "?KEY". Who knows what this unidentified key goes to? Who knows how much of a pain it will be to find whatever it goes to, when the key itself was behind a secret door? Damn game wants me to waste all of Broken's spell points casting MILWA. The passage ends in a 2x2 room. After searching for hidden doors the old fashioned way (slamming nose-first into every wall) we tread back to try another path. We have several small encounters, and get ambushed by 5 skeletons at once, but press on without too much damage. Then, we encounter our dreaded enemy...

Scruffy men! The horror! Now, you may have noticed before than sometimes monster names start off as something general and then get more specific, EG "small humanoids" becoming "orcs". Apparently, it's an IQ check to properly identify creatures, so you often don't know exactly what you're fighting when you start. It hasn't usually mattered much so far, but I shudder to think of our characters not realizing they're fighting a fire elemental and casting useless fireballs at it.

By the end of the hallway I find myself in another 2x2 room, and my first evident mapping error occurs- apparently the room overlaps with another one. I'll cast DUMAPIC to clear it up, but while I'm wandering around the room confused, we have a nice, large encounter!

With the use of a MATU spell, the party barely takes any hits!

We're at location 19 East, 17 North, 1st floor. I'm pretty sure that puts us on the X I marked.

Hopefully my map is correct... I may have more erasing to do. Sure enough, the hallways coming westward our of our room is four tiles long, not three. However, that would make it start adjacent to the other northward hallway, which it doesn't... *sigh*

Graphy is not amused.

Well, I'm completely confused about the northeast quadrant of the map. Oh well. At least everybody has plenty of EXP!

Sensei gains 1HP, IQ, Vitality, and Agility, but lost Piety and Luck.
Neotetsu gains 1HP, IQ, and Luck, but lost piety, vitality, and agility. I'm beginning to hate this game, guys.
Birdviggins gains 2HP and Piety, but lost Strength, Agility, and Luck. I savescummed to see if sleeping in more expensive rooms makes a difference, as far as I can tell it doesn't.
Broken gains 1HP, Strength, and IQ, but lost Vitality, Agility, and Luck. Arrrrgh.
Tawarochir gains 1HP Piety, and Vitality, but lost Strength, Agility, and Luck. Is there just a 50% of gaining and losing each attribute?
Hanzoku needs 88 more XP to level up, I guess he levels slower. This is merciful.

Broken gained a 2nd level spell point and CALFO, the spell that identifies traps guaranteed.
Tawarochir doesn't seem to have gained spells. Guys. Come on.

For what it's worth, the party now has 1442 gold. We could spend it on plate mail (750) get an antidote potion (300) or keep saving for a magic item (1500 and up). What do you think we should spend it on? And should we tackle the second dungeon level?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

What? Where's Taffy? I demand my gnome paladin!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What? Where's Taffy? I demand my gnome paladin!
Uh... is this a reference I don't get? Or do you actually want a character?

Anyway, I ran into the dungeon, just to level up Hanzoku.

He got three 1st-level priest spell points, and learned KALKI, BADIOS, and MILWA. I kinda wish he learned DIOS too, but I guess he will sooner or later. Ialso checked up on his attributes. In total since he started, he's lost 1 IQ, lost 2 agility, and gained 2 luck. Oh, and gained three hit points, one each level. I'm really starting to feel sorry for him.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it would be more valuable to keep me as a fighter, you can do so.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4