Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981): Second Level  (Read 10578 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981): Forming the Party
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 04:36:06 pm »

Well, I'm not savescumming to re roll hit dice, if that's what you mean.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 05:27:10 pm »

Fair enough, may the dice gods favor us.

Luckily, no one wanted to try to become a ninja. (which is possible, with some creative moral choices.  :P)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 05:29:03 pm »

Fair enough, may the dice gods favor us.

Luckily, no one wanted to try to become a ninja. (which is possible, with some creative moral choices.  :P)

I know in one wizardry game to help with "getting a ninja" one of the Character you could recruit, instead of make, was a "Good Ninja" and otherwise there was no other way to get one (Well ok YOU could do it as the game made becoming "good" stupidly easy)... Except I think there was a cheat later on.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:31:11 pm by Neonivek »

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 07:39:34 pm »

Kaosian to die first - front rank; armoured in papier-mâché, with a wooden training weapon.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981): OOPS!
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 06:48:47 am »

Now we enter... the maze.

I start the party out traveling east. We travel with trepidation down a long, straight corridor. There is a doorway on the left, and we enter.

Wow. Neotetsu is catching a lot of flak. The monsters must be jealous of his high starting ability scores! Immediately, he's down from 8 HP to 3 HP before we've had time to react. I guess now is a good time to talk about surprise rounds.
Occasionally you will surprise the monsters. If this happens, you are entitled to a
free round of attacks, with the restriction that you cannot cast spells. Needless to
say, sometimes the party will be ambushed, which has far less pleasant effects.
That's right, it doesn't mention what causes one side to get a surprise attack. As far as I can tell, it's entirely random. Kinda cheap, innit?

I give out combat order: I Neo, and Kao will fight (Kao has full health and Neo is too useful not to attack). Broken will attempt to Dispell the monsters, which I guess is a thing he can do (I had a bishop in a test run earlier, I never noticed that option). Hanzoku will cast KATINO, a sleep spell. Tawarochir will cast HALITO, which is like a fireball or magic missile or something. You guys are lucky I remembered the names of the spells, because you have to type them in perfectly or they can't be cast (we'll get to that in a minute).

That round of battle in short, Neo and I kill a kobold, and Hanzoku puts two of them to sleep. But go ahead and observe the full thing:

So, that's basically what a round of battle looks like in game. Of course, battles can go on for many rounds, so I'll usually just summarize the highlights. We have a lot of dungeon ahead of us.

In the next round, the fighters fight and Broken casts DIOS, a healing spell, on Neotetsu. The fact one of the kobolds is now asleep and we killed another means there's a lot less attacks on the party this round. It goes excellently: All three of the fighters get impressive hits, and Neotetsu is completely healed (but Hanzoku's HALITO misses).

It is unlikely we will see this degree of competence or valor from our heroes again soon. However, everybody gets 278 EXP, which is not bad at all.

After the battle we find a treasure chest:

I will explain all of the options you see there: "Open" opens the chest. Not usually a good idea, because chests are usually trapped. "Calfo" is a spell that automatically identifies traps, I don't think we have it. "Leave alone" is for elves. "Inspect" attempts to get the name of the trap, you might guess wrong (I think this is based on IQ and Luck) and you can even occasionally set off the trap- we can have everybody look if we want, and they may have different guesses. "Disarm" disarms the trap, with a chance of triggering it- but you have to guess what the trap is. If you guess incorrectly, you always trigger the trap. I will have Kaosian, our thief, inspect the trap.

Shit. You sure about that, Kaosian? I'll look myself...
I think it's trapless too. Well, only one way to find out... but Kaosian gets to be the one to find out.

Wow, he was right! Aren't we lucky. I continue to explore the rest of the room.

Uh huh. Trapless chests, friendly undead? What kind of pansy dungeon is this? Still, I'll leave them alone, it's best to avoid encounters when we can. The manual also claims that attacking monsters who propose a truce can have consequences.
Strange things have been known to happen to those who respond inappropriately to peaceful overtures in the Maze.
Yeah, that's plenty foreboding. I don't think I'll provoke the gods on my first dungeon foray.

While we have a breather, let's talk about how magic works.

Above is Broken's spells- the screen we see when we go to camp, inspect his character, and choose the Read option. We can see that there are seven levels of Mage spells, and seven levels of Priest spells. Broken has one first level priest spell point, so he can cast one first level priest spell. He must have started with two spell points today, because he used one healing Neotetsu's work related injury earlier. Spell points are regained when, um...
Points are reset to their current maximum values each time you enter the Maze for an
adventure (It's assumed you got a good night's sleep and studied your books over
breakfast.)
Thanks, manual! So basically, once our spellcasters blow their load, that's it until we retreat. This means we'll want to conserve our spells carefully. For now though, we need every advantage we can get in a fight so the party can gain a level or two.

Now let's look at Broken's actual spellbooks:

Not very informative, right? Like I said earlier, this screen (which can't be accessed in combat) is the only way to know what spells a character has (which have to be typed out perfectly in combat). Fortunately, all the spells are described thoroughly in the manual.
DIOS HEAL Type: Any time Affects: 1 Person
DIOS restores from one to eight lost hit points to a party member. It will not bring the dead back to life.
BADIOS HARM Type: Combat Affects: 1 Monster
BADIOS inflicts from one to eight hit points of damage upon a monster. It is the inverse of DIOS.
So there's what our priest can do. Hanzoku, our Bishop is already out of spell points. He has only first two mage spells, and no priest spells yet.
HALITO LITTLE FIRE Type: Combat Affects: 1 Monster
HALITO causes a flame ball about the size of a baseball to strike a monster, inflicting from one to eight hit points of damage.
KATINO BAD AIR Type: Combat Affects: 1 Group
KATINO causes most of the monsters in a group to fall asleep. KATINO only affects normal animal or humanoid monsters, and the duraton of it's effect is inversely proportional to the power of the monster. Sleeping monsters are easier to hit and successful attacks do double damage!
As you can see, when applicable, putting monsters to sleep is really effective. Tawarochir has the exact same spell list as Hanzoku (and all starter mages/bishops, I think) and is also out of spells for the day.

So, we've had our first victory, and our mages are mostly spent. I think I'll push my luck and try to get one more encounter in before leaving. We proceed down the hallway past the entrance stairs and go north, then turn right, and into another room at the end of another hallway (I'm not a quarter of the way into the first dungeon and I'm quickly running out of ways to describe our environs). There we have encounter with three skeletons!

This time we get the drop on them. Mages can't cast spells in the surprise round, so it's all melee attacks. I get a hit in, and Neotetsu kills one of the monsters outright. The next round, Neotetsu gets another kill and I strike down the last skeleton with a record 11 damage. Kaosian takes a bad hit though, putting him down to 2 health. We also get a chest at the end of the encounter- just because Kaosian is at 2HP with multiple stab wounds doesn't stop me from ordering him to inspect the chest. "Gas bomb." Alright, Kaosian, let's hope you're right. When prompted for the kind of trap, I type "GAS BOMB."

The word "OOPS" has never been so terrifying. Kaosian is now poisoned, and at 2HP. This means he has a chance to lose health every time we take a step. Without even exploring the rest of the room (but not before divvying up the gold from the chest, 10 each) we turn around and make for the exit- if we get there before he dies, he'll be automatically cured. I'll expend the last of Broken's DIOS spells on keeping Kaos alive once he's down to his last hit point. If we're lucky, we won't have an encounter- you lose health much faster from poison when you're in combat.

SHIT.

SHIT.

Well, there goes our thief. I guess you guys predicted this, though. Broken moves into the vacated slot and joins melee combat. I, Neotetsu, and Broken all attack (he's saving his last spell). The other two mages can do nothing but cower in the back row. In the first round of combat we kill a skeleton, I take some damage, and we get a couple more hits in. More blows are exchanged, we kill two skeletons, and Broken uses his last heal spell on me (it's not like Kaosian needs it anymore). In the last round the fighters take down the skeletons before they can counterattack, and the party each comes away with 230 EXP and 14 GP. I don't remember if thieves can wear shields, but if they can, we'll be able to afford one for our next thief.

We also encounter 3 slimes on the way back. Luckily, this time we surprise them. We make short work of the slimes. They don't get a single attack in, but they aren't worth much.

Finally, the stairs! Y, sir, Y from the the bottom of my heart!

Let's review our progress: This is my map of what we explored.

For reference, our first encounter was in the bottom right room. Our second encounter was in a room we didn't map out, on the end of that little hallway that juts south. Kaosian got killed as soon as we got to the T junction. Aside from that, all I need is a few hints from the manual.
When you enter the Maze from the Castle, you always start on the first level as far South and as far West in the Maze as you can be, facing North.

Wizardry levels are constructed around the concept of a 20 x 20 grid. The word concept is rather loosely used here because the authors have done everything they can to misguide and misdirect you into believing that what you see on the grid is not real.
There are also some spells that can help us with this later, including one that tells us our exact coordinates and facing. I can't wait to get that one.

This is Graphy. He is sad because Kaosian died.

We're in town now. There's a few services provided, aside from Boltac's.

The Adventurer's Inn is our main place of healing (although it occurs to me that it would be cheaper to cheese the game and go into the dungeon, cast DIOS, and come out again to refresh spells). You also level up if you have enough EXP when you sleep there (I'm not sure if we do). The barracks heal 1 point a week, the economy rooms 3, the private room 7, and the royal suite 10. This is priced per character, and they don't have to stay in the same room.
Note: Age is important in Wizardry. Beyond the age of 50, you will become more and more feeble until eventually you will not be good for much of anything except chatting about the "good old days" before the invention of the wheel. Therefore, you do not want to spend too many weeks in bed.
Now, I don't know what age characters are supposed to have started at, or if time passes for other characters when one stays at the inn, or if time passes in the maze in any way. However, that's something we may want to be aware of.

Also, remember the Temple of Cant? Those guys can resurrect Kaosian.

As you recall, we have 265 gold, so this is an option- but we won't have enough money to heal up at the inn.

So what should we do? Do we take a new recruit, and bury Kaosian? Do we bring Kaosian back, and not have enough money to stay at the inn? Will we stoop so low as to go in and out of the dungeon until we've had enough heal spells to heal everyone? Oh, and just as a last reminder, it's possible to create characters even if the party is full- they automatically wait in Gilgamesh's Tavern until recruited.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 09:16:32 am »

Wow, I am not the first person dead.

The odd thing about being surprised in this game is how absolutely deadly everything can sometimes be.

Being surprised can quite easily just spell your doom right there. This has been something that has been a staple in most Wizardry games.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 10:45:25 am »

I vote that we resurrect Kaosian and healcheese. Kaosian must get reveeeeeeeeeeenge.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:48:47 am by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 10:48:31 am »

I'm clamping down so hard on all my early-game experience. (Granted, I never got more then a few floors down before something terrible happened, a staple of the game. :) )

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 10:50:55 am »

I'm clamping down so hard on all my early-game experience. (Granted, I never got more then a few floors down before something terrible happened, a staple of the game. :) )

Wizardry always has a hard time striking a balance between cripplingly difficult and honest to goodness unfair.

The 4th while probably my favorite narratively and quite novel, way before Persona, it also probably the most unfair the series ever been.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 04:28:32 pm »

In case you still need a thief...

Name: Birdviggins
Race: Gnome
Alignment: Neutral
Class: Thief
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 07:05:32 pm »

i vote for ressurection, you never leave a comrade behind.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 07:54:09 pm »

The party does look pretty healthy overall, so it might be worth it to rez Kaosian and just have a short sortie next time.

Question, though: How does recruiting created but not yet partied characters work? Can you rotate them out at will, or is grim death the only method of advancement?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 11:14:15 pm »

Rezzing would be nice, so would getting Kaosian a shield, it would improve his AC a bit more.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981): ASHES
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2015, 04:17:05 am »

Alright, by the vote of an overwhelming majority, (including Kaosian's ghost, who is probably a biased voter) we shall resurrect Kaosian! We tithe 250 gold to the Temple of Cant, and bring our dead ally to them.

Uh oh. For the record, "KADORTO" is a level 7 priest spell, akin to True Resurrection. Kaosian's resurrection has failed (for the record, apparently the chances of this are vitality based) and he is now turned to a pile of ashes. He can be resurrected by a KADORTO spell, or the Temple can give it another shot for 500 gold. If his resurrection fails again, he is gone permanently. For the time being, we can't afford to bring him back at all, so we'll need a new thief. I guess that's what we get for discount resurrection.

I mean, this is the bloody illustration in the manual!

For the time being, Kaosian will reside in Gilgamesh's Tavern, alongside all living and dead adventurers who are not currently in the party. I'll be holding onto his short sword and leather armor for the new guy- Birdviggins will be our replacement thief.

He also buys a new small shield (the best he can wield) from Boltac's. The wounded members of the part stay at the adventurer's inn (we spend 60 gold in all) which also informs us that we need 396 experience points to level up.

With the thief replaced and the party healed, we travel back into the maze!

The shield, and maybe the agility stat, give Birdviggins an AC of 6, an improvement over the previous model.

We return to the room where Kaosian got poisoned, and have our first encounter in the same spot (I think some spots reliably give encounters, while pretty much any spot MAY have an encounter).

In the surprise round, our fighters each kill one of the skeletons- I told Birdviggins to attack a humanoid, so there's nothing left for him to fight by the time his turn comes around. I elect not to use any spells during the battle. Birdviggins takes 5 damage, and Neotetsu takes 4. Broken casts a lousy healing spell on Birdviggins for only 1 point, and we get 215 EXP. After the battle, just like before, we encounter a treasure chest. Birdviggins thinks it's an exploding box. Hanzoku inspects it too, since I'm pretty sure it's an IQ check, and thinks there's no trap. I think there's an alarm. Tawarochir also thinks it's an exploding box, so I'm going to let Birdviggins try to open it and see if he's right.

Huzzah! Birdviggins gets to live! The chest contains a relatively lousy 30GP for all the trouble, though.

Broken casts another lousy healing spell for 1 point on Neotetsu, so I figure we'll just map out this room and retreat. It's the same shape as the last one, with no remarkable features. After some cheese healing, we're ready to explore deeper into the dungeon. There's another encounter with a large group- this time I'll be sure to use sleeping spells to keep them under control. We whittle down the enemy taking only small hits, and by the time the sleeping spell goes off, there's only three enemies left and it affects them all. Neotetsu sets a new party damage record of 18. This battle grants us enough EXP to level up, and another chest.

Birdviggins thinks it's a poison needle, and Neotetsu thinks its an exploding box. Just to be sure, I check it myself. OOPS! POISON NEEDLE. Thankfully we make it back to the stairs without event (although we could have used that luck for our previous thief).

Everybody rests in the Adventurer's Inn, because it's time to level up! Well, for everybody except Birdviggins, that is.

Above is myself.
Neotetsu gained: IQ, Piety, Luck, and 11 HP(!) so stabbing him will just make him mad.
Broken gained Spells, Luck, IQ, and 1 HP. He also lost Piety, Vitality, and Agility. We can only assume that he's gained his weight from filling his backpack with food from the all-you-can-eat buffet and Gilgamesh's Tavern, and he's angered the gods in the process.
Tawarochir gained spells, agility, luck, and 1 HP. He also lost piety and vitality, having shared in Broken's ill-gotten spoils.
Hanzoku gained Spells, Strength, Luck, and 1 HP, but he lost an IQ. So that's two of our three mages who lost a point in their casting stats when they leveled up. Like... come on. Seriously?

Let's review the spells in detail though, at least that will be nice.
Broken can now cast 5 1st-level priest spells a day. He learned the spells KALKI, MILWA and PORFIC. KALKI improves the entire party's AC by one point and can be used only in combat. MILWA is a light spell, it makes more dungeon tiles visible and reveals secret doors. PORFIC lowers the AC of the caster by 4 for a whole combat, which is great if Broken accidentally ends up in the front row.
Tawarochir can now cast 3 1st-level mage spells a day. He learned DUMAPIC, a spell that tells you the party's location and orientation. This will come in handy, but I sure wish he had gained more spell points.
Hanzoku can now cast 4 1st-level mage spells a day. So far, I wouldn't guess he's a bishop by looking at him. He learned DUMAPIC, and MOGREF. MOGREF is just like PORFIC but for only 2 points of AC instead of 4, which means that Hanzoku is staying well in the back of the party.

Lastly, I buy Neotetsu a helmet, to keep him alive longer because so far it looks like he's going to be our most valuable character.

Lastly, let's review what we've explored:

We haven't gotten a lot further, but... baby steps. I'd hate to get over-ambitious and kill the whole party.

Graphy is happy, because nobody died.

Hopefully next time, we see some better level ups. I'd hate for all of our mages to have gimpy stats, since we still really need them for their spells. Next time, we delve further into the dungeon Maze!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981): ASHES
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2015, 06:01:44 am »

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4