Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29

Author Topic: Dragonball Z Xenoverse. DBZXV-XYZPDQLMNOP. Bay12 Force, Assemble! *pose*  (Read 56257 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonball Z Xenoverse. DBZXV-XYZPDQLMNOP. (Dragonball Z on the PC.)
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 03:05:50 am »

Combos are infinite unless you have enough ki to get out of them in Budokai, so "very long" is quite an understatement :P

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 08:59:10 am »

Wondering if any of you BT 3 pluggers have played Raging Blast. BEST FIGHTING GAME. Not just best DBZ fighting game, best in general. So fluid when on offense, and EVERYTHING has an intuitive and useful counter. Fuckhueg ball of death heading your way? Deflect that shit when it hits or just dodge with a vanish. Getting rushed with melee? Sway sway sway sway counter the ending power attack.

You can literally take ZERO damage if you're good enough, and keep a combo going forever as well. Plus it has everything DBZ, beam clashes etc.

Oh XV DOESN'T have beam battles. NONE. Closest you get is a cutscene in the final battle.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:28:44 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 10:16:55 am »

Which raging blast?

They're all on PS3 and XBox 360 anyway so I probably wouldn't be able to play them (I use an emulator for BT3)

I'm pretty sure you can do all that in BT3 too, though there are no coherent explanations for how to do any of it.  I still only sort of understand the powerup system.  It's like, you've got numbers and they go up for some reason, and you have to use one up to go to full power, and different specials have different amounts of the number (what does the number represent?!) that they consume, and some of them also require max power. 

In the end it all boils down to using Kaioken and punching all of Vegeta's bones out before you run out of ki anyway.

What I like about BT3's combos is just that though.  While they're infinite they're not infinite in the sense of traditional fighting games where a combo can't be interrupted once started.  You get these pseudo-infinite "mutual combos" I guess you'd call them, where both players are exchanging short combos, blocking and countering, gaining and losing the upper hand, without any obvious break in the action.  It looks less like street fighter and more like a martial arts movie.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 10:32:05 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 04:02:12 pm »

My biggest problem with the scouters is that you don't really have time to use them. If you're 1v1 with the AI and you open your scouter very first thing in battle....the first thing you're going to see is their fist filling the entire scouter reticule as they start punching you in the face.

It's a cute idea, and I suppose for online MP where you can hide from people or RP or w/e, they're good. Against the AI they're pointless. They're only good for a) finding out where the fight is at, and b) finding items. But it's the only accessory I've seen so far that isn't 100% cosmetic.

(Also to note, spending time collecting items in PQs seems totally useless. You rarely get anything good other than mats for consumables, possibly a Hercule Medallion for money you don't need. The Dragonballs seem to drop exclusively from defeated opponents like Time Patrollers who challenge you in a mission. You're better off spending your time trying to finish the mission quickly for a better rating, than farming up all the crap laying around. If you could find equipment or skills doing it, it'd be one thing. But nowp, it's almost entirely mats for consumables.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 04:34:24 pm »

You can still use the scouter even if you don't have it equipped in the accessory slot. It's kinda weird that they imply the cosmetic scouter and the scouter functions are at all linked -- they aren't.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 04:49:08 pm »

You can still use the scouter even if you don't have it equipped in the accessory slot. It's kinda weird that they imply the cosmetic scouter and the scouter functions are at all linked -- they aren't.

I was wondering about that. Like, if they were asking you to choose between a cosmetic or a functional item.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Symbiode

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms = bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 04:57:36 pm »

Wondering if any of you BT 3 pluggers have played Raging Blast.

I'd also like to know which Raging Blast. My brother is coming to visit soon so we could do with a fun couch co-op game. Should I get the 3rd one (Which looks like it was renamed to Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi from Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Blast), or do you recommend Raging Blast 1 or 2 over it? Thanks for your input!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 05:19:28 pm »

Ultimate Tenkaichi is utter shit. Every character is exactly the same. That's not an exaggeration or hyperbole. Each character is different only in model and voice work.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 05:44:45 pm »

It also has some dumb "cinematic" QTE shit.
._.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 10:53:21 pm »

I guess I'm just not sure how the fast and loose style of DBZ (If I didn't know it came from a comic I'd think they were making it up as they went) can translate well into a balanced MMO experience.

One thing BT3 does that no other fighting game I've played has done is made unbalanced matchups natural and fun.  Instead of bad design, it's just natural that certain characters are better than others, and trying to fight a guy who's way stronger than you feels much more interesting.

I played the Cell Games as scouter Vegeta and went up against a great ape raditz.  Most of hte fight was just trying to stay alive while building up power for my own great ape transformation, at which point we tore the place up and it was sweet as fuck and a really close fight.  Then I fought perfect cell and obviously got my ass handed to me, but when the power imbalance is an intentional part of the way the game works it's more satisfying than when it's just bad game design.

I don't get the same feeling from this one, even when I am fighting a stronger enemy.  Stronger enemy usually translates to combo breaking you with his aoe blast every few seconds.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 11:53:38 pm »

Well and getting fragged by an Ultimate at close range, getting combo rolled yourself which, I will say, takes judgment on how to get out of it. If you just panic teleport, congratulations, you're just getting hit some more and now you're out of stamina too. But yeah, I feel there is a gamier side to the combat, where it's less about perfect execution and more about how to trick the AI. One fight I remember I pretty much just used throws and the tap-dash move to beat Frieza 1v1. It almost worked but I still died. Then I came back later and couldn't land a throw on him to save my life, he'd side step me every time.

I do feel like there's a skill threshold somewhere in this game where if you're playing really tight, you can do amazing things. It's just that the other 80% of it is sort of abusing mechanics. Prior to Super Saiyan and Powering Up, fights felt a lot more tense. Now, with a tactical nuke at my beck and call, it's more like a race to finish before the enemy can hurt me at all. (And when you've been coasting for the last few levels killing dudes with your Ultimate, suddenly they stop dying so fast and start hitting like a freight train.)

And I think the game understands this, as some of the later missions start dog piling multiple super saiyans on you, in attempt to keep you too busy to face roll one guy, insane durability or not. They'll shred your AIs like wet toilet paper and then double team you, or worse, triple team you. And I know sort of what's in store next on that front. Eventually my punch damage and Ultimate Damage will get so high, I'll be able to two shot them and move on to the next tier of super tough guys. I think the levels do go all the way to 100 so....there's quite a grind.

I can't and probably shouldn't try to speak to the MP, but I imagine it must be hard finding a balanced match across the vast spectrum of character levels, gear combinations and one-trick pony builds. That's the term I've been fumbling for. The game kind of starts to feel like it's made up two parts: the melee combos and your one-trick pony of choice. I don't have buyer's remorse but, this is a game that presents very well and takes a while to realize a lot of things/move/strategies don't amount to much. Setting aside character balance and yadda yadda, I can safely say Budokai that I bought years ago still feels like it has deeper and more responsive combat. It just lacks the multiple d00ds in fights. (Which, if I'm being honest, I crave intense 1v1 fights more than I crave chaotic shit storms of DBZ combat. Getting lasered in the back by a guy I couldn't possibly be focusing on is kind of annoying. Getting fucking weak Ki blasted over, and over, and over in the back and being unable to turn around and block is beyond fucking annoying.) Whatever was gained by adding two extra enemies and two extra broskies somehow took away from the quality and depth of 1v1 fights.

So as I kinda said from the outset, how much you might like this as a DBZ game depends on how much you like paling around with friends doing missions or team fights, and the quasi-MMO approach and how important a custom character is to you. Because that stuff is pretty decent. If, on the other hand, you crave the absolute best 1v1 DBZ fighting experience you can find, chances are one of the other games is still doing it better.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:59:40 pm by nenjin »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2015, 01:34:00 am »

Wondering if any of you BT 3 pluggers have played Raging Blast.

See: cinematic bullshit, i've never liked the newer dbz games because they've removed characters and made combat less exciting.

I have a story to match Cthulhu's, where I took Master Roshi into the Cell Games and almost won against full power cell. I find myself agreeing with the point about uneven matchups: almost the entire first part of every round was spent playing cat and mouse until I could build up enough blast stock to go 100%. Even then, Master Roshi is so fragile that I would mainly teleport around until I could land a couple solid combos, then fly back out.

Shit like that is why it's fun to play Krillin against anyone. All of Krillin's non-basic supers are very unorthodox (one is an attack that launches a ki strike up into the air, which turns into a sort of artillery strike on the enemy fighter and is pretty damn unavoidable if you follow it up with a combo, and the other is his kienzan (WHICH HE LAUNCHES LIKE SEVEN OF), which is most useful at close range where the enemy can't dodge), and most rounds involve him dancing around utilizing solar flare and disabling combos to get away and build meter. That's why BT3 is fun: there's a shite ton of variety in all the characters, and it makes for some really interesting matchups.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2015, 04:05:55 pm »

Found out that there are kinda "beam struggles" in XV.  If two beams collide they will both fight each other for a little bit before causing an explosion that will hurt you if you are close enough to the colliding point.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 05:55:56 pm »

Ehh, that's not quite the same.  The best beam struggles though are in Lemmingball Z where there's no limits for them.  BT3 the clashes seem to have a set time and whoever does the best at wiggling the stick wins, in LBZ it goes until someone wins, getting stronger and stronger over time.
Shoes...

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 06:05:39 pm »

Lemmingball Z
Woah, I didn't know about that one.

Looks pretty fun, and it's free?
._.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29