Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with horror?  (Read 893 times)

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with horror?
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:07:23 pm »

So I started to get a couple of job cancellations all of a sudden, with dwarves cancelling jobs because they're Horrified. Checking the affected dwarves' thoughts, they're both horrified to have seen the death of a troll lately.

This is an early fort (just 22 dwarves when I noticed this stuff), and I haven't seen any enemies yet besides three kobold thieves, but sure enough, there's a troll corpse in my refuse pile, right outside the entrance on the surface. No idea where it came from, or how it died. (Elf traders were around at the time, so maybe they somehow found and killed a troll on my land?)

Those dwarves are still occasionally freaking out and cancelling jobs because of horror. Is it because they're walking past the corpse in the refuse pile, or does the sight of a dying troll cause some kind of recurring flashback scenario that's causing problems after the fact?

...I still can't figure out where the troll came from, or how it died, either.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Help with horror?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:23:31 pm »

My guess is that the troll was a pre-existing denizen of the embark zone, and something killed it off. Try destroying the corpse, and waiting.

Or use alcohol.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:25:27 pm »

Maybe there's a cave on your map?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:46:20 pm »

Is it because they're walking past the corpse in the refuse pile, or does the sight of a dying troll cause some kind of recurring flashback scenario that's causing problems after the fact?
It's from seeing the corpse, or even part of the corpse. I believe any body part of a sentient creature, even something like a tooth or nail, will cause them to become "horrified at seeing a <creature name> die". Build an atom smasher, or it will continually stress your dwarves forever.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:38:51 pm »

I saw a huge reduction in thoughts from 'seeing xxx die' by moving my corpse and refuse stockpiles away from my fort and putting up walls around them, even without resorting to atom smashing or a magma dump. It isn't enough to completely eliminate all of the bad thoughts, but it brings them down to an easily manageable level.