Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting payed to make quality forum games.  (Read 2697 times)

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
  • Turn to face the strange
    • View Profile
Getting payed to make quality forum games.
« on: February 25, 2015, 01:04:36 am »

It seems this has been rendered a taboo craft to profit from, however as a fellow forum game designer, I know how far we can take the game we make, and I think I've had enough.

I want to make a website where people can play and host forum games, and the hosts are welcome receive support for their efforts or incorporate financial elements, though that is entirely optional.

Not only that, there really isn't anywhere on the web that is ALL ABOUT FORUM games, whether attached to a comic or game, forum games are seen as an after thought.

PM if you'd be interested in this venture, if you have experience making websites, or would otherwise like to contribute.

This is a thread about collaboration, not debate.
If you want to criticize how this project should progress, go right ahead, if you want to invalidate or debate the legitimacy of such a venture, feel free to do so -->here. Please do not respond to such comments either, thanks.

Project Notes -->here.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:23:09 pm by GameBoyBlue »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Getting payed to make quality forum games.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 01:09:30 am »

I am ok with making websites.

However, I am a bit confused with the title, where does the money come in and out? are you paying us to make a website, or are we making a website and charging? I'm OK with the former, although I'd (probably do it for free). I made a website for my mod, if you want to look at that
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 01:16:19 am »

I'd like to achieve the goal of supporting forum game hosts to continue, focus on, and expand their craft. I bring up money, as it is the way I feel is avoided, and I want to change it.

This would likly be probono, you'd be doing it to support forum games as a medium.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 01:17:20 am »

People are making forumgames purely for people to enjoy, you've already made a thread about this and the idea was shot down quite fast.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 01:20:10 am »

The game hosts might receive money by a player clicking a support button linked to them, they could charge an entry fee to a game, the site might even pay them for bringing in traffic, or winning weekly/monthly/yearly awards voted on by players. Stuff like that.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:21:39 am »

People are making forumgames purely for people to enjoy, you've already made a thread about this and the idea was shot down quite fast.
You're right, I did. If you want to debate the validity of earning money from making online games, go ahead and continue it there, this thread is not meant to be a debate. Thank you.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 01:23:29 am »

Couldn't this be achieved just by having a patreon account? Instead of having to make your own website and attract people to it?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 01:25:35 am »

Couldn't this be achieved just by having a patreon account? Instead of having to make your own website and attract people to it?
I'm not familiar, would you explain?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 01:35:29 am »

Basically? It lets people donate money to someone every time they create some sort of piece of work. With certain limits to ensure that they don't end up overdonating if the person suddenly produces more work than expected in a certain timeframe. That seems to be ideal for what you were talking about the last thread since it would require the host to receive a steady income of sorts.

Another option would just to offer one-time donations through paypal or a similar kind of service.

Since making a website with an inbuilt and secure payment system along with attracting users despite being in technical competition with every single free forum game might be unfeasible and rather complex.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 01:43:08 am »

I think he means revenue from ads
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 01:50:16 am »

Basically? It lets people donate money to someone every time they create some sort of piece of work. With certain limits to ensure that they don't end up overdonating if the person suddenly produces more work than expected in a certain timeframe. That seems to be ideal for what you were talking about the last thread since it would require the host to receive a steady income of sorts.

Another option would just to offer one-time donations through paypal or a similar kind of service.

Since making a website with an inbuilt and secure payment system along with attracting users despite being in technical competition with every single free forum game might be unfeasible and rather complex.

Ooh that's downright sexy. Hmm, seems a little confusing on one point though, what if you want to support them on one type of thing? Such as every time they make a video of a certain type?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 01:51:14 am »

I guess, they'd have to have a different account for their different type of work, I guess? I'm not too familiar with it myself.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 01:52:13 am »

I think this could be big. When has a forum game host ever really been able to let loose in the way an income or assisted income would provide?

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 01:54:56 am »

This could also be mentally sorted as a 'improv storytelling' site. Sure some games are more linear while other are more free roaming.

I imagine artists being able to join writers, and then you start to get some really quality, and dynamic(something film, and movies, and to some extent pre packaged video games don't provide!).

Forum games are the most dynamic story telling and interactive medium today. Now I want to raise the potential for quality and collaboration with a site like this one... a Campfire.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:57:33 am by GameBoyBlue »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 01:58:08 am »

There are still feasibility issues I'd imagine seeing as it would only really work well for something with a massive playerbase or a really dedicate playerbase which I'd imagine to be the minority. It'd be assisted income at best, though chances are it's just going to act as a way for hosts to get funds to commission art or music.
Pages: [1] 2