Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What do you think about war animals?  (Read 2743 times)

KaliumCharlie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you think about war animals?
« on: February 24, 2015, 11:51:10 pm »

Hi there plump helmets lovers, I just got a pair of giant jaguar and it's taking like forever to have more, is it really worth it?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think about war animals?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 11:56:54 pm »

Considering what a single giant panda did to one of my dwarves once, yes. It is worth it.

Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:02:51 am »

If war elephants aren't that cowardy, I'd like to use them.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon Tamer (Beginner)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 03:57:30 am »

war animals are a wonderful thing, exspecially if they are tough. those things dont need to be the ones ripping everything apart (those are usefull too though) but i prefer tanky ones if i can get a few to breed. normally i would place them in a floodgate trap right at my entrance (accessible from 1 z level above secured with a hatchvover and a drawbridge to seal it off) and release them on any nearing invader, to distract them long enough for my archers to do some damage and my melee dwarfs to get into melee without getting pummeled to death by miullions of bolts/arrows flying my way. (its even better if you place a single row of cage traps just after the floodgates, cause most incaders will stop at the first row until they decide to test out the next row, giving me enough time to open the floodgates if there are no buildign destroyers. also it trains your animal trainer. even if you just want to breed and butcher those dogs of yours, i sugegst to let every single one be trained to war or hunting dogs before you butcher them^^ that might come in handy if you catch a dragon or roc (or two of them of different genders for breeding, if you are that lucky^^) overall i always have some war beast lurking around and assigned to my archers (those tanky ones) and the glass cannon style animals usually in a great number with my melee dwarfs to be targets for enemy fire and possibli to mangle my enemys to bits!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 04:10:23 am »

I love to assign war animals (usually dogs) to my nobles, outside-workers (fishermen, lumberjacks etc.) and sometimes to my soldiers too. I once saw a war dog completely rip apart three kobold thieves discovered by one of my lumberjacks

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 04:11:15 am »

War animals are great as a burglar alarm.
I have a room full of war dogs and puppies at the front of my fort. Nothing gets in without being spotted and possibly also ripped to pieces.
It's also where I pasture the peregrines, giant moles and crundles I'm training.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 07:06:01 am »

I love to assign war animals (usually dogs) to my nobles, outside-workers (fishermen, lumberjacks etc.) and sometimes to my soldiers too. I once saw a war dog completely rip apart three kobold thieves discovered by one of my lumberjacks

A war dogs can kill animals a half-trained wrestler can not.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:13:12 am »

Yes, it is. War jabberers are better though and normally easier to get.

Btw, if you only have one breeding couple it might be the case that one of your jaguars is unable to breed.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 08:26:33 am »

My experiences:

+ warning system against sneaking enemies

- usually dies before it's really useful in battle

I have had war dogs, war bear (grizzly?) and various war trained Giant creatures (Panda, Tiger) and the result is the same. One hit to their toe and they pass out and die. I don't bother with war animal training anymore.

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 11:58:07 am »

I've found that war animals are great for discovering and attacking thieves, or as bait (your nobles don't need to be fast, they just have to be fast enough to get to safety before their dog gets killed). But during a siege or an attack from giant animals or semi-mega beasts most war animals are worthless fodder.

Then again, I had a giant war panther that took out a dragon once and lived through the attack to go on slaughtering goblins willy-nilly. I remember him fondly, though as an exceptional war animal.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 02:40:53 pm »

War animals are not supposed to be individually strong. You're meant to have a pack of 50 war dogs roaming around your fort or pastured somewhere invaders go to provide enough alternate targets that your military are in little danger. It doesn't matter if three quarters of the dogs die and the rest are crippled, they will be repopulated within a year.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 03:09:15 pm »

One time, a jabberer tried to kill one of my legendary animal trainers. It was instantly ripped to shreds by over a hundred jabberers, voracious cave crawlers, giant sparrows, and giant leopard geckos.

KaliumCharlie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:32:32 pm »

Btw, if you only have one breeding couple it might be the case that one of your jaguars is unable to breed.

How can i know if my jaguars can or can not breed?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 04:38:01 pm »

They can breed, you just have to be patient. Unless one of the pair is gay or something.

On a somewhat related note, crocsplosion incoming, as I have captured a male cave croc to match my female.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 04:54:44 pm »

How can i know if my jaguars can or can not breed?

If you use Dwarf Therapist it shows gender and orientation, so you can tell if you have gay or asexual jaguars.  They also need to be pastured together to get it on.
Pages: [1] 2