Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bee Justice  (Read 2033 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bee Justice
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:52:56 pm »

Well I decided to revamp how I do Justice.  I used to stick my prisoners on the inside of the caves, exposed to whatever may come along, but this proved frequently too lethal.  My new jails are now all exposed to sunlight, and consist of a single chain surrounded by beehives.  Bee stings, sunlight-induced vomiting, and general unhappiness levels are already up 234%!  Now that's efficiency.

Edit: My prisoner remains resilient, even peaceful.  He was irritated at being caught in the rain, but his patience is "as still as the waters."  He was interested in his own chain and door, though they're not of impressive quality.  He is, in this judge's opinion, a model prisoner.  Upon his release he will return to decadent quarters adorned with his favorite materials.  He will redeem his role to society by laboring in his own private workshop in the hopes of fulfilling his dreams of producing a masterwork.

But mark my words, the next prisoner will not get off so lightly.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:35:16 pm by Kestrel »
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Bee Justice
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:00:45 pm »

I don't know if bee string affects happiness, because I put my hives in the main corridor so everyone got stung everyday. 8)
I do have lost of unhappy dorfs, maybe I should relocate the hives. But I don't see any unhappy thought related to bees.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:04:16 pm »

Well I decided to revamp how I do Justice.  I used to stick my prisoners on the inside of the caves, exposed to whatever may come along, but this proved frequently too lethal.  My new jails are now all exposed to sunlight, and consist of a single chain surrounded by beehives.  Bee stings, sunlight-induced vomiting, and general unhappiness levels are already up 234%!  Now that's efficiency.
Roof the area with glass so it has sun but is inside. designate refuse stockpile there. It produces miasma. Keep it behind tightly closed door to keep the cats away. Vermin.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 07:07:58 pm »

If there is any kind of roof, sunlight will not be let in. I lost two weapon masters because their barracks had a roof and they got sun sickness in the middle of a battle.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 07:12:40 pm »

Nothing is worse than locking them up with some KEAS or BUZZARDS!
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 07:18:04 pm »

Roof the area with glass so it has sun but is inside. designate refuse stockpile there. It produces miasma. Keep it behind tightly closed door to keep the cats away. Vermin.
Actually, solid suggestion here.  I'll be sure to dump some corpses from above.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 07:35:11 pm »

Now all what is left to do is to find a way to make bees sentient members of your fortress and MAKE THEM THE HAMMERER

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 08:01:51 pm »

Actually, solid suggestion here.  I'll be sure to dump some corpses from above.

Wiat, I was checking on miasma and its only produced in dark underground tiles, if the sun has ever touched a tile it becomes aboveground, and remains aboveground even if you roof it.

What you could do if have this rom with a glass ceiling and an underground refuse stockpile right next to it, on underground tiles that were never exposed to the open sky. The the miasma spreads to the other room.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 08:13:39 pm »

If there is any kind of roof, sunlight will not be let in. I lost two weapon masters because their barracks had a roof and they got sun sickness in the middle of a battle.

Nope. Once a tile is exposed to sunlight it remains permanently "Light". Your problem was that "Inside" areas (i.e. roofed-over tiles) do not reduce cave adaption, even when "Light".

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 08:20:33 pm »

Can I pit captured vermin?  If that's the case I'll just settle for that. 

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 01:38:03 am »

Do you have any criminals who died as a result of their punishment? Dump their corpse in the room with them.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Magnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 05:12:45 am »

I would suggest using the prison as your dump spot after goblin sieges. Because of the silly way that bodyparts count as an entire corpse for unhappy thoughts, this will quickly fill up their status screen with "horrified by seeing the goblin Dostngosp McToothless die". Sickened by sunlight, no worries. Bees crawling into your ears, no problem. But there's a pair of goblin teeth on the ground next to you! Aaarrghh!
Ilrom Ziril - The Peak of Fire:
An epic saga of weregophers and volcano gods.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148021.0