Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode Jobs  (Read 3542 times)

icer667

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode Jobs
« on: February 24, 2015, 05:21:47 pm »

I was reading toady's recent future of the fortress reply, and noticed this...

Quote from: Pseudopuppet
Does the new entertainment stuff apply to adventurers? Will I be able to play as a bard soon?

Yep, next release you should be able to make some sort of living that way, to the extent that means anything.  Failure should also be possible.  They can't throw you in prison yet, and they don't have apples sitting around to throw at you, but maybe there'll be some way they can express disapproval when you offend them.

So that got me thinking, why aren't there already some form of jobs in Adventure Mode? I mean, I understand adventure mode is based on the killing of baddies (And sometimes innocents Elven Heathen) but what if you want to work as a clerk in a city?

Maybe it'd work by going up to an owner of a shop and asking for a job, and then the job would consist of selling some goods to people who come in and give a cut of the money to your boss.

Or, maybe you could run a shop. Go up to a landlord, ask for a building to sell things from and hire workers like you do companions, then go and collect your cut from them now and then.

And of course, what Toady mentioned. Play some music in a tavern, get tips from the locals.

This may be far off, if it's ever added, but I think it'd be a nice twist on the usual "GO KILL THESE THINGS".

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Jobs
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:43:49 pm »

Yeah, a big jobs overhaul would be awesome.
I fondly recall spending many an hour in Ultima VII learning to bake, farm and smuggle gargoyle drugs rather than...whatever it was you were supposed to do in that game!

Imagine, an rpg in which the bard is actually a bard, rather than 'crap ranger type with some beast taming ability'.

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 12:34:15 pm »

Do you know what I always wanted to do in adv mode?Medicine.
Seriously,I always feel guilty when my companions get hurt.
Imagine working as a doctor in the dangerous world of DF.
Where a beast invades your hamlet and leaves 50 guys wounded every month and you are the only doc around.
Now that's a REAL adventure.
A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 02:02:48 pm »

I was reading toady's recent future of the fortress reply, and noticed this...

So that got me thinking, why aren't there already some form of jobs in Adventure Mode? I mean, I understand adventure mode is based on the killing of baddies (And sometimes innocents Elven Heathen) but what if you want to work as a clerk in a city?

Maybe it'd work by going up to an owner of a shop and asking for a job, and then the job would consist of selling some goods to people who come in and give a cut of the money to your boss.

Or, maybe you could run a shop. Go up to a landlord, ask for a building to sell things from and hire workers like you do companions, then go and collect your cut from them now and then.

And of course, what Toady mentioned. Play some music in a tavern, get tips from the locals.

This may be far off, if it's ever added, but I think it'd be a nice twist on the usual "GO KILL THESE THINGS".

At the moment there are numerous jobs possible.

1. Hauler: Take jobs that belong to the settlement and take them to the settlements market to sell there in return for items that you want.

2. Herbalist: Gather plants outside or inside a settlement and sell them to the settlement in return for items that you want.

3. Thief: Steal items from one site and then sell them to another settlement.

4. Bandit: Kill people from one settlement, take their valuables and sell them on at another settlement.

5. Bandit Hunter: Kill bandits and sell them to another settlement

6. Hunter: Kill animals and sell their butchered 'componants'.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:27:25 pm »

For now though there's a bit of a problem with doing jobs in that money is essentially worthless. Sure you can buy food or maybe some armor at a shop if you manage to find a city, but why buy them when you can just go to the easier to find mead halls and hamlets where there's free food and armor all over the place? I think Toady plans to do something about this eventually, and I think the first thing will probably be make getting approval to sleep in people's homes more, but adding in taverns where one could pay to sleep there. Not sure what else he plans to do, but I'm pretty sure there's something.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:44:01 pm »

For now though there's a bit of a problem with doing jobs in that money is essentially worthless. Sure you can buy food or maybe some armor at a shop if you manage to find a city, but why buy them when you can just go to the easier to find mead halls and hamlets where there's free food and armor all over the place? I think Toady plans to do something about this eventually, and I think the first thing will probably be make getting approval to sleep in people's homes more, but adding in taverns where one could pay to sleep there. Not sure what else he plans to do, but I'm pretty sure there's something.

The economy may not be implemented yet, but a traveling poet or bard, or the aforementioned doctor for example could all build a career based solely on reputation for now. More variety than 'killed a bunch of amphibian men!' anyhow.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 07:49:59 am »

Actually the way things work in Adventure Mode is basically how things work in Fortress Mode.  You need something, there is a stockpile for something and you go to fetch whatever it is that you think you need.  They way that economics presently work in Adventure Mode is 100% consistent with how things generally work in the the game; you help yourself to whatever it is you think you need and you in turn do your heroic deeds without expecting to be paid.

Things do work, it is just that thing do not work the way people expect them too based upon other RPGs.  There are however a number of stupidities with the way that the economy works in adventure mode that should be fixed (and are easy to fix).

1. The items commonly available in the sites lying about are typically of higher quality than the items the beings in the settlement carry, it should be the other way around since all the items are freely available.

2. The items in settlements are presently divided into owned items that can be just carried off and unowned items that can be.  All the items generated in a site should be owned by the site and there should be minor shops in all settlements, rather than just the Trade Trees, Depots and Town Shops at present.

3. You should not be able to sell a settlement it's own goods as an outsider but should need to buy with goods from another source. This should however still be an option for the time being for settlements to which you belong since otherwise new adventurers will not be able to acquire needed goods given 1.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 06:45:40 pm »

The economy may not be implemented yet, but a traveling poet or bard, or the aforementioned doctor for example could all build a career based solely on reputation for now. More variety than 'killed a bunch of amphibian men!' anyhow.
I once killed a bunch of amphibian men
After performing impromptu surgery on their hearts and then
Returned home to a greeting most regrettable
When everyone told me, "It was inevitable"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:49:17 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Jobs (Who loves taverns?)
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 05:31:23 pm »

One thing that would be good for the jobs idea is being able to work at a tavern (and even buying/building your own). The thing about working at a tavern is (unlike a shop) there is a good few things to do around a tavern here is a few:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not only could a tavern sell food and drink but people could rent a room (you could also NOT order "services" to said room) or warm up by the hearth or listen to the bard sing some song as he plays on his masterwork chalkboard.

I think it would be fun to run a tavern and I hope you like my ideas

Also I'm really sorry if this is getting close to necroing a thread.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:37:17 pm by Kitsune »
Hello I'm insane!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode Jobs (Who loves taverns?)
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 08:31:07 pm »

One thing that would be good for the jobs idea is being able to work at a tavern (and even buying/building your own). The thing about working at a tavern is (unlike a shop) there is a good few things to do around a tavern here is a few:
Not only could a tavern sell food and drink but people could rent a room (you could also NOT order "services" to said room) or warm up by the hearth or listen to the bard sing some song as he plays on his masterwork chalkboard.

I think it would be fun to run a tavern and I hope you like my ideas

Also I'm really sorry if this is getting close to necroing a thread.
It's not necroing, also you're encouraged to necro suggestions rather than make new ones.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 06:21:06 pm »

It's not necroing, also you're encouraged to necro suggestions rather than make new ones.
good to know :)

also i did not know that if i change the name in my subject box that changes it for other people so i'm going to edit it to Re: Adventure Mode Jobs (Who loves taverns? pt 2 ) after some one posts after this.

Anyway I thought of more ideas for taverns and what you could do working at them.
First off like I said in my last post one of the things that (I hope) people will be able to do is rent rooms to sleep in for the night(s) and if you were a vampire you could probably slip in there room for a ""snack""(note: i don't know if taverns are going to be 24 hour places where you can come in and order food and drink/rent a bed anytime or if things get locked-up past night fall, or maybe both kinds of tavern. so if I say 24h tavern that means well a tavern that's up all night and if i say night lock-up tavern you know it locks up at night.), but depending on who you are to that tavern it could be hard to do or maybe easy, here is a list of the different people you could be and how hard it would be to snack(or even curse them with a bite as a were-beast):

Well that was a big list. Anyway some of the things that change what people think when your going into a room like: there is more chance of them being scared the higher Strength you have and more trusting the more Empathy (they will also trust you more from being around you and you not losing that trust.

Taverns with all to mostly all vampires/werebeasts and stuff about that

Okay so that was some ideas, I will probably make another post about more ideas later like this one.
Hello I'm insane!