Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Swarm Simulator  (Read 45294 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Swarm Simulator
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2015, 09:03:03 am »

The queens -> nests progression is badly balanced, IMO. The progression is nice and smooth, but that point marks a solid brick progression wall, meaning you just have to wait for enough queens to pay for all the nests, and it's boring as hell.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2015, 09:09:00 am »

The nests are fine, to be honest, if you get a decent amount of them and leave it running for an hour or so you can blitz past them. It's when you get to the hives that the game really slows down.
Or it might be because I'm not using the spells because I'm trying to expand the rate at which I gather energy.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2015, 09:11:21 am »

The nests are fine, to be honest, if you get a decent amount of them and leave it running for an hour or so you can blitz past them. It's when you get to the hives that the game really slows down.
Or it might be because I'm not using the spells because I'm trying to expand the rate at which I gather energy.
Larva are still the problem. 3 billion larva for the last nexus? Mein gott.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 09:18:21 am »

The 'more hatched from larvae' upgrades also seem very, very pointless as-is; they are pretty much self-sabotage.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 09:19:44 am »

The 'more hatched from larvae' upgrades also seem very, very pointless as-is; they are pretty much self-sabotage.
Not really. Early on, they are very much worth it. For example, when you get your first queen/nest/whatever, using it immediately on the 2 for 1 upgrade, you can very quickly earn that nest/queen back. Though there's no reason to use it on drones when you already have multiple decillions of them.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 09:21:03 am »

I think what they could've done to make the game a bit more interesting is make territory more integral. Right now all it does is fuel expansion upgrades so you can spawn larvae faster, but what if you needed a certain amount in order to have however many bugs? They gotta have someplace to sit and pop out smaller bugs, right?

Oh those ones? Yeah, if you want to get production of a unit type going quickly, they're useful in the short term, but they're basically downright counterproductive for any other purpose.
Sig! Onol

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2015, 09:39:46 am »

When you are buying them they are super worth while. And when you're done buying that unit type they no longer are. Paying 1000 of a unit in order to make a extra hundred billion of that unit is certainly worth it.

It's technically short term in the sense that at some point you stop using them, but the pay off is immediate. (I just sunk 10 billion units into one of those upgrades, then purchased 50 billion more. A instant profit of 15 billion.)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2015, 10:15:17 am »

Put more focus into territory to get more larvae.  It helps, as larvae are the main bottleneck.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2015, 10:25:14 am »

Early on MAYBE... mostly because you aren't dealing with monumental amounts of larva.

But when you are purchasing billions or even trillions of bugs later on... You will use every bit.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 07:33:56 pm »

Is there a point in putting mutagen into anything other than hatchery? Larva is always the bottleneck, there doesn't seem to be much point in using energy or mutagen for anything other than larva.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 11:32:02 pm »

Clone seems like it would be better then hatcheries since clone gives more larva then hatcheries do.

Frequency and meta both seem like they might be worth it long term/

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2015, 01:37:13 am »

There's also three free respecs you get to start with to play off each other to higher mutagen gain for your second and beyond ascension.

I picked up Warp and Bat mutations.  The former buffs just swampwarp while the latter buffs all abilities... and they stack multiplicativly.  Clone Larvae is great out of the box, but Swampwarp has jumped from fifteen minutes to sixteen hours of production, and that's just one ascension.  Right before I ascend, I'll save up a bunch of hatchery and expansion upgrades, respec to the two mutation mutations, buy said upgrades for tons of mutagen, and THEN ascend; hopefully to get five mutation slots for the next go. It'd probably be lepi-warp-bat (for more energy) and hatchery and... meat, maybe?  I'll freespec again at the end of that for the mutation-mutations, and by then I'll have enough slots that I won't need to respec.

If you're close to ascending, be advised that unspent mutagen produces larvae at 0.1 per.  I had 5.4 million mutagen when I ascended (get a bit more if you can) which made me 540k larvae a second; that way outproduced my hatcheries for quite some time.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2015, 09:54:50 am »

Huh, I haven't even ascended once and I earn like 1.8 million larvae/second. Gotta get that goddamn Hive Empress!
Sig! Onol

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2015, 09:56:49 am »

At a certain point you just stop using your own Larva production and have to use Clone to get any reasonable numbers.

In fact without any mutations... the only spell worth casting is Clone... and I wouldn't be surprised that even after mutations if Clone stood as king.

Just make sure you get its maximum.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:00:05 am by Neonivek »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2015, 09:58:41 am »

That'd probably be after where I'm at - I've just been reinvesting my energy into Lepidoptera or however they're spelt so I can get an energy boost.
Nearly 100%. Neeeearly.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13