Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Calling Urist McVet  (Read 816 times)

ibanix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Calling Urist McVet
« on: February 23, 2015, 04:49:18 pm »

Is there a way to get my Chief Medical Dwarf to diagnose and then treat my injured animals?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Calling Urist McVet
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:57:59 pm »

Nope.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:05:06 pm »

This is in fact one of the few problems that a DF player can encounter without a solution...

Except DFHack's dfusion setup, it has a script to fully heal an injured unit under miscellaneous, but if you're looking at the wounds list when you run it they won't be removed from it properly. They will be fully healed and will show up as such on the more detailed status screen, it just won't be properly removed from the hover-over [v]->[w] list for a while.

Of course, if your goal was to use animals for medical training or something you're pretty much SOL, but if you just need to treat an injured animal this will solve your problem.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:20:53 pm »

It will be nice when Animal Caretakers do.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:19:41 pm »

I remember that during the Most Interesting Dwarf In The World project it was discovered that skill levels in animal caretaker actually did reduce recovery time in assigned animals. Slightly. When legendary.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 09:52:55 pm »

In fact, most animals will heal by themselves. Some very small animals may die from infection.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 10:14:36 pm »

This is in fact one of the few problems that a DF player can encounter without a solution...
Horsecrap.

The answer, as with everything, is magma.  Applied liberally to the injured animals.

It makes the problem go away.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 07:26:23 am »

Personally, what I would like, is medical training on animals (either alive or dead) for training up my medicdwarves, instead of the current method of damaging then repairing my more useless drones for medical training.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 09:52:32 am »

I just want someone to splint the claw of one of my giant desert scorpionlings. He broke it falling out of a tree and now he's useless because he just lays there.