Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting rid of logs quickly  (Read 1087 times)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Getting rid of logs quickly
« on: February 22, 2015, 04:49:46 pm »

I kind of let myself go with the logging industry and now the 5000 or so logs are taking their toll on FPS. How should I process them to maximise FPS?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of logs quickly
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 04:58:15 pm »

Process into coal and ash, make metal and soap.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 05:02:35 pm »

Forbid them and in the stocks screen.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 05:05:44 pm »

Bins.

You need more.

Also, potash, barrels, soap, beds... Maybe coal in case you're in a volcanic rock with marble.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 05:11:10 pm »

Do bins improve FPS?
(Currently, I'm just selling them to traders and building ziggurats)
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 06:22:15 pm »

5000 logs? Do you have sand? You could make pearlash and clear glass then. Or better yet, clay pots with ash glaze :P

And if you are feeling particularly wasteful, built a quantum dump into a magma pool with said logs. Elves will love you for that.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 07:12:00 pm »

I don't think that affects your fps too much.
I have 13000 stones...

Maybe you can consider building a wood fortress above ground?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 07:23:06 pm »

Or you could use DFHack with autodump into a magma pool.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 12:45:41 am »

Build a Trojan Horse.  Also, as constructions they might impact less on your fps.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 01:49:29 am »

Bins.

You need more.
This must be stopped by any means at our disposal.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 05:25:15 am »

Another possibility is quantum stockpiling to get them all taking up only 1 square.
If they all are laying in the same square the game will only check temperatures etc. for 1 of them, not for them all anymore.

At least that had been this way.

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon Tamer (Beginner)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 06:38:05 am »

the number of items your fortress has, doesn't impact on dps at all, the only problem is, the pathfinding. quantum stockpile them, or lock them somewhere behind a forbidden door. (i would suggest to build 10 or so wood stokcpiles in a row, with walls between them and forbidden doors. if your main stockpile goes empty, open the first stockpile and let it replenish, when its full, shut the door again usw.)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 09:54:36 am »

the number of items your fortress has, doesn't impact on dps at all, the only problem is, the pathfinding. quantum stockpile them, or lock them somewhere behind a forbidden door. (i would suggest to build 10 or so wood stokcpiles in a row, with walls between them and forbidden doors. if your main stockpile goes empty, open the first stockpile and let it replenish, when its full, shut the door again usw.)

Temperature man.  Those logs gotta know when to explode when magma touches 'em.

At least, that's what I've heard.  Anyone here qualified enough to clarify about fps factors?

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 11:07:22 am »

Some science was done (sorry, can't remember the link) that clarified # of items being largely irrelevant to your FPS.  The main draw back was actually stockpiles generating jobs.  Every empty spot in a stockpile generates a job (which then grabs a dwarf who has to process pathing).  Temperature checks are also not an issue until you get flowing lava that forces them constantly.  I believe this was the old post about the "no-dump" quantum stockpiling method. 

That being said, I'd place a whole mess of wood burning furnaces and crank out charcoal.  Store it in bins off to the side of your forges for a whole life time of coal.  You probably delete the stockpile once most of them have already been moved.  If you don't need the coal, the obvious answer is clear glass everything/glaze.  You can glaze any type of stone item, so stone statues can get a coat.  I wouldn't make earthen pots to glaze though, as you could have just made a barrel straight up (unless you want to snicker at the elf happily buying your tree-glazed beer pots).  I honestly don't bother much with clear glass due to the several extra processing steps.  If it was obscenely valuable, maybe, but it just isn't.  As it stands, you have to burn a unit of wood, send it to an ashery to make potash, then send it to a kiln to convert into pearlash (consumes additional fuel!), THEN send to your glass furnace to combine with sand (and more fuel) to make an item with value-5.  To recap: 1 wood+2 units of fuel (more wood), 1 bag (leather/textiles), 1 sand, 4 workshops/5 jobs (ignoring hauling between stockpiles/workshops) all for a base 5 value material.  Billion/brass are both higher (6/7) and can generate EIGHT units of material for each unit of fuel (smelting from ore).  All in all, I tend to ignore clear glass altogether >.> You don't need that much soap, but you can convert most of it into fertilizer and super-charge your farms.  You can then turn the excess food into prepared meals to sell. 

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon Tamer (Beginner)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 11:28:29 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109319.0

i guess you mean this here^^ and yeah its proved that quantum stockpiling is MUCH better for fps due to the missng hauling jobs to fill all those stockpiles