Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Horrified seeing a Snail Brute die"  (Read 4163 times)

aaoo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"Horrified seeing a Snail Brute die"
« on: February 22, 2015, 12:23:49 pm »

I checked the thoughts of my militia after breaching hfs and saw that they were all horrified of seeing demons die.
I expected dwarves to be horrified seeing them live, not die... I can uderstand that they might be horrified seeing piles of dead goblins, but that's really unrealistic.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: "Horrified seeing a Snail Brute die"
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 12:39:42 pm »

I checked the thoughts of my militia after breaching hfs and saw that they were all horrified of seeing demons die.
I expected dwarves to be horrified seeing them live, not die... I can uderstand that they might be horrified seeing piles of dead goblins, but that's really unrealistic.
Hopefully things like that will be changed in the future, so that truly horrifying creatures will have negative thoughts from seeing them alive and positive thoughts from seeing them dead.  But for now, almost all creatures seem to generate negative thoughts in dwarves by dying or being dead.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 01:00:50 pm »

Hopefully things like that will be changed in the future, so that truly horrifying creatures will have negative thoughts from seeing them alive and positive thoughts from seeing them dead.  But for now, almost all creatures seem to generate negative thoughts in dwarves by dying or being dead.

No.  If an intelligent creature kills a member of your settlement then citizens will feel nothing if it dies.  Otherwise all intelligent creatures deaths cause horror.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 01:10:31 pm »

This really needs fixing so the death of a hostile creature gives a "relieved to see a goblin/snail brute die". Unhappy thoughts could follow if the corpse is left around to rot and smell.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 02:46:28 pm »

I get squeamish squashing insects. I can't imagine how I would feel seeing a large living being get killed, even if it was a horrifying thing.

Also, demons are fond of dying in unusually horrifying ways. Bursting into a swarm of insects, oozing blood, that sort of thing.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 05:55:55 pm »

I get squeamish squashing insects. I can't imagine how I would feel seeing a large living being get killed, even if it was a horrifying thing.

Also, demons are fond of dying in unusually horrifying ways. Bursting into a swarm of insects, oozing blood, that sort of thing.

Yeah, if you've never watched something or someone die, you don't really know how you'll react. It's way more of a kick in the gut than you might think. I've seen people turn full vegetarian after watching a chicken get slaughtered. "Mmm, yeah, I love chicken, you're going to slaughter one for dinner tonight? Can I watch? Uh, whoah, are you just gonna... NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! That's it, I'm done. Never gonna eat another animal ever again."

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 06:19:58 pm »

All my dorfs are crying over a dead wolverine that a merchant slew...
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 08:01:14 pm »

I've seen people turn full vegetarian after watching a chicken get slaughtered. "Mmm, yeah, I love chicken, you're going to slaughter one for dinner tonight? Can I watch? Uh, whoah, are you just gonna... NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! That's it, I'm done. Never gonna eat another animal ever again."
I have to wonder where they thought their meat came from. I also wonder if they'd be as horrified if they saw a video about industrial-scale chicken slaughter.

While it would be horrifying seeing demons and other supernasties writhing in their death throes and spewing noxious substances about, the game should put more emphasis on the dwarf being close enough in the first place.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 08:23:54 pm »

What happens all too often with the HFS:

Urist McCheesmaker has become a soldier!
Urist McSoldier has complained about the draft recently.
Urist McSoldier was traumatized after being sent on patrol in the nameless abyss today.
Urist McSoldier was horrified when he saw Ducim McSoldier die while on patrol.
Urist McSoldier felt hopeless after being wounded by an ash fiend.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 08:38:24 pm »

Horrified seeing a Snail Brute die

I like this idea.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 09:43:15 pm »

This really needs fixing so the death of a hostile creature gives a "relieved to see a goblin/snail brute die". Unhappy thoughts could follow if the corpse is left around to rot and smell.
I disagree, nonsentient creatures shouldn't give a bad thought to anything but the most weak willed of dwarves but seeing the mangled corpse of something you could have had a conversation with should be jarring even if they're the enemy.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 10:02:58 pm »

Snail brute, as its name suggests, is horrible to look at whether it's living or dead.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 10:11:57 pm »

Not quite. The name snail ruins it.
Can't imagine how a snail bruite looks like.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 10:52:53 am »

OK-- Imagine an enormous snail with a very tough but insanely flexible outer skin, completely plugging the hallway with its body, and gruesomely shredding anything living in its path with a rough, barbed tongue.

If it helps, snails have a very graphic means of eating other animal forms, called a radula.
Obligatory Youtube

Additionally, some species of sea snail have evolved a harpoon like structure that is capable of injecting powerful neurotoxins.
obligatory youtube

So, imagine a slow moving, unstoppable monster inching its way down hallways, engulfing and shredding things alive once engulfed.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 11:00:13 am »

I think it would make sense if dwarves did get a bad thought from watching any sapient creature die (because death is generally unpleasant to look at), but would also cancel it out with a positive thought concerning their relief if the creature was hostile/dangerous.  These two thoughts could be modified individually based on the dwarf's individual personality traits.
Pages: [1] 2