Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Games Where You're the Bad Guy  (Read 25632 times)

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games Where You're the Bad Guy
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 01:33:18 am »

Hatred is coming out soon. Link to website

It's basically a mass murder simulator, where you're on a quest to wipe out humanity. Mainly by killing civilians in whatever way possible, and trying not to die when the cops get on your case.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 02:16:25 am »

Wait. Shores of Hazeron is back up?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 02:18:51 am »

Yes.
I'm kind of confused how you just ignored the thread suddenly becoming active again even though you seem to be interested in.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 02:20:10 am »

I would like to pitch in riddick chronicle, escape from butcher bay, never played the game itself so i dont know how vilain you are, but Riddick is an anti-hero so maybe? I also like the game where you can be vilain/bad and yet have a good motive to do something, AKA mass effect style vilain or if we go TV-series, Jack bauer style ( ok he is bad only with enemy but still is acting is just *reason* ).
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 04:01:37 am »

I didn't notice the hazeron thread getting active again.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 05:19:52 am »

Wasteland 2 - you can be pretty evil and even go all out rogue, like turn against the Rangers and take over Arizona with some enemy faction.

Age of Decadence - kinda encouraged to backstab and never show mercy to your enemies, particularly if you're playing an assassin. To a ridiculous extent, really. It's like everyone's out to use you and everyone lies to you, so you end up doing the same.

Carmageddon - you play a deranged racer in a death race where you murder pedestrians and other drivers.

Dishonored - you've always got a choice between disabling your target and killing them. But a lot of the "disabling" options seem worse than straight up killing. Like you can condemn some people to having their tongues cut out and a life time of slave work in the mines, and you can help a creepy stalker kidnap one of your targets.

Fallout New Vegas - lots of chances to be a bad guy, and you can side with the really morally questionable people in the main story.

The Guild 1 and 2 - you control a family of manipulative entrepreneurs with the ultimate goal of eliminating all other such families. You do this through gaining and exploiting seats of power. You can engage in gold-digging, bribery, nepotism (including being a judge in a family member's court case), falsifying evidence, poison, kidnapping, mugging, piracy and straight up murder.

The Hitman series - you're an assassin with really questionable moral values. For the most part you go after scumbags, but some of the targets aren't as deserving. And the usual chance to murder guards, police and civilians applies.

Hotline Miami - you're a most likely drugged up far right nationalist murderer. At one point you even murder everyone at a police station just to get at a target they arrested.

EDIT: I sorta misread the OP and just went by the other suggestions, so the suggestions are not quite what was asked, I realize. So I've unbolded the ones where you're just evil fighting neutral-evil. And only Hitman and Hotline Miami have it as something non-optional (in both you end up fighting police forces just doing their job).
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:03:45 am by Virtz »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 06:02:57 am »

Well, actually, Hotline Miami implies that you don't even have fanatic adherence to an ideology to speak for you - all killers you encounter including you are either in it for the kicks or for the money, or have been threatened into killing after deciding the former doesn't cut it anymore.

In the same vein as The Guild, Crusader Kings 2. Sure, you *could* be a peaceful, benevolent ruler who spends his free time with his family... but that's sorta like following traffic regulations in GTA.

Also Toady's own Liberal Crime Squad: whether you agree or disagree with the politics, you are still for all intents and purposes a terrorist organization a'la SLA or RAF and even a non-violent run involves cyberterrorism and espionage. Or you can just assassinate the President. Multiple times. Using a child soldier squad you used to prostitute for money.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 06:13:41 am »

For "Liberal Crime Squad" this is how I always described it: Liberal Crime Squad is a game that is made from the perspective of a insane paranoid liberal with absolutely no self-awareness. You are not the villain in Liberal Crime Squad, you are the hero who is doing whatever is needed to save America from the fiendish Conservatives. The humor comes from this lack of self-awareness.

You insert that the heroes are the "bad guy" but that is metaknowledge outside the game's universe. The game never questions that Liberals are hallowed saviors of the world or that Conservatives are evil fiends. Especially since this is a world where the Liberal paranoia is 100% true (because as I said, it is as if the game was made by a crazy extreme liberal with no self-awareness)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:17:30 am by Neonivek »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 06:18:50 am »

For "Liberal Crime Squad" this is how I always described it: Liberal Crime Squad is a game that is made from the perspective of a insane paranoid liberal with absolutely no self-awareness. You are not the villain in Liberal Crime Squad, you are the hero who is doing whatever is needed to save America from the fiendish Conservatives. The humor comes from this lack of self-awareness.
Well, yeah. Liberal Crime squad will shoot all the supporters of lax gun laws, kidnap, torture and brainwash anyone it takes to prevent the possibility of torture on criminals and execute any politician supporting vigilantism on the spot.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 06:19:10 am »

Well, actually, Hotline Miami implies that you don't even have fanatic adherence to an ideology to speak for you - all killers you encounter including you are either in it for the kicks or for the money, or have been threatened into killing after deciding the former doesn't cut it anymore.
There's some suggestion the killers were picked due to their involvement/interest in 50 Blessings, who are far right nationalist crazies. You find their flier in your apartment at one point. So maybe not necessarily entirely there, but probably at least leaning towards such views.

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 06:22:03 am »

I'd add blackbay asylum to the list but Doug is more sick than evil.
Also Evil Genius

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 06:39:34 am »

Its what annoyed me about ESO. And sorta the elder scrolls in general...you can't really be evil. Sure you can go around killing people, but I never felt evil in those games)
Indeed. The killings must have more consequence than the 'STOP CRIMINAL SCUM,' some emotional damage or at the very least cosmetic change to indicate the gravity of your heinous crime. If you depopulate a city, it better damn well be empty - or just full of hobos. God of War takes this to an extreme and for all the gods you kill the world literally becomes a shitter place.

Also invincible children is a travesty, though I suspect that's more out of trying to get past Australian censors.

Flash games have many villainous games. Mastermind: World Conqueror has you play as a villain of a bond-tier.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 06:42:03 am by Loud Whispers »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 07:49:02 am »

Wasteland 2 - you can be pretty evil and even go all out rogue, like turn against the Rangers and take over Arizona with some enemy faction.

Age of Decadence - kinda encouraged to backstab and never show mercy to your enemies, particularly if you're playing an assassin. To a ridiculous extent, really. It's like everyone's out to use you and everyone lies to you, so you end up doing the same.

Carmageddon - you play a deranged racer in a death race where you murder pedestrians and other drivers.

Dishonored - you've always got a choice between disabling your target and killing them. But a lot of the "disabling" options seem worse than straight up killing. Like you can condemn some people to having their tongues cut out and a life time of slave work in the mines, and you can help a creepy stalker kidnap one of your targets.

Fallout New Vegas - lots of chances to be a bad guy, and you can side with the really morally questionable people in the main story.

The Guild 1 and 2 - you control a family of manipulative entrepreneurs with the ultimate goal of eliminating all other such families. You do this through gaining and exploiting seats of power. You can engage in gold-digging, bribery, nepotism (including being a judge in a family member's court case), falsifying evidence, poison, kidnapping, mugging, piracy and straight up murder.

The Hitman series - you're an assassin with really questionable moral values. For the most part you go after scumbags, but some of the targets aren't as deserving. And the usual chance to murder guards, police and civilians applies.

Hotline Miami - you're a most likely drugged up far right nationalist murderer. At one point you even murder everyone at a police station just to get at a target they arrested.

EDIT: I sorta misread the OP and just went by the other suggestions, so the suggestions are not quite what was asked, I realize. So I've unbolded the ones where you're just evil fighting neutral-evil. And only Hitman and Hotline Miami have it as something non-optional (in both you end up fighting police forces just doing their job).

I haven't played any pre-blood money hitman for a while but I think every target I can remember from that game plus the primary antagonist are real assholes who are treated as having it coming to them. What I remember from Contracts isn't much better and Absolution of course ruins the entire theme with 47 suddenly becoming an action hero fighting a shadowy organization that can invade and take over an entire town without anybody going "what the hell?"

Well, yeah. Liberal Crime squad will shoot all the supporters of lax gun laws, kidnap, torture and brainwash anyone it takes to prevent the possibility of torture on criminals and execute any politician supporting vigilantism on the spot.

Love LCS and have spent days playing it but there's still a clear enemy whose not really better than you. Sure the decided lack of self-awareness that comes with leading bloody massacres when the most serious problem left to entice new members with is the fact that sometimes people get mad if you swear a lot is hilarious but your always fighting the idea that the country will be plunged into darkness if you stop. If C+ was a generally okay place and you were fighting for purely minor political differences then LCS would definitely earn the title Bad Guy Game.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:56:54 am by Broseph Stalin »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 09:19:38 am »

I haven't played any pre-blood money hitman for a while but I think every target I can remember from that game plus the primary antagonist are real assholes who are treated as having it coming to them. What I remember from Contracts isn't much better and Absolution of course ruins the entire theme with 47 suddenly becoming an action hero fighting a shadowy organization that can invade and take over an entire town without anybody going "what the hell?"
In Blood Money, your very first target is some hapless loser whos carnival ferris wheel happened to kill some guy's kid. By the time you get to him, he's ruined and desperate enough to let some gang bangers stay at his place in return for money he never got. And then you murder him as he's begging for his life.

And at the end you have to murder everyone present at the funeral, including a priest, a journalist, and what I think was a bunch of FBI agents just doing their job.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2015, 09:33:52 am »

Love LCS and have spent days playing it but there's still a clear enemy whose not really better than you. Sure the decided lack of self-awareness that comes with leading bloody massacres when the most serious problem left to entice new members with is the fact that sometimes people get mad if you swear a lot is hilarious but your always fighting the idea that the country will be plunged into darkness if you stop. If C+ was a generally okay place and you were fighting for purely minor political differences then LCS would definitely earn the title Bad Guy Game.
Yeah, C+ is bad, but in some respects L+ is equally absurd. Things like animals being literally full citizens, blanket ban on nuclear power or the fact that anyone even slightly to the right of L+, even L, gets treated like a traitor, stripped of all rights and deported in the case of SCOTUS.

CCS, at least, if it's active - and it doesn't need to - is supported by the state and corporations and their goons are universally 20+, whereas, as I mentioned, LCS can and will merrily engage in child prostitution and soldiering, drug dealing, cause nuclear meltdowns with a huge radiation leak or murdering of the President if you want them to.

In Blood Money, your very first target is some hapless loser whos carnival ferris wheel happened to kill some guy's kid. By the time you get to him, he's ruined and desperate enough to let some gang bangers stay at his place in return for money he never got. And then you murder him as he's begging for his life.

And at the end you have to murder everyone present at the funeral, including a priest, a journalist, and what I think was a bunch of FBI agents just doing their job.
The carnival guy deliberately ignored safety regulations, if I recall, and he let the gangsters stay because he was paying off his lawyers, and the FBI guys were personal guards of the Big Bad, so presumably were part of a conspiracy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11