Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migrant claims that he was the head of a goblin culture...  (Read 2130 times)

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrant claims that he was the head of a goblin culture...
« on: February 21, 2015, 03:40:18 pm »

When quickly checking my latest migrant wave for anything suspicious, I found the following guy. It's obvious that something is wrong with him, and I think he will have a very short life in my fortress. Nevertheless, I wanted to share his "carefully" crafted cover story, as it is quite entertaining:
Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant claims that he was the head of a goblin culture...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 04:06:18 pm »

It would be fun to see what a gobbo noble is like. Or maybe just put him in the militia. Can Brokers cheat? It would be nice to know...
One wheel short of a wagon

Huntthetroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 04:26:00 pm »

From your dwarf's former title ("ringleader"), it looks like he led a group of bandits, not a goblin government.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 04:27:57 pm »

Nonono.  He was abducted as a child, and became a bandit/criminal leader.  I don't know why he isn't any longer, but is attributes suggest he isn't a night critter.
  I'd be interested in knowing you were to view him in Legends or Legends Viewer.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 04:30:07 pm »

The good news is that you now have a very colorful individual in your fortress; he either led a bandit group from a camp or a criminal organization from a dungeon under a castle. If I had to guess, it would probably be the latter, the state of his attributes implies he's sat around and did next to nothing for most of his life.
The bad news is that he either has only six years to live or is a vampire. The maximum dwarven lifespan is 150 to 170 years, and the way it works he's more likely to croak sooner than later. Taking his attributes into account again, I'd say the former.

Either way, look up this guy's history in legends if you get a chance, it should make for a good read. It's not often dwarves like him live to even worry of dying of old age.

Basically everything the last two guys said.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 05:01:01 pm »

White hair ? Yeah, vampire alert.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 05:33:20 pm »

Not necessarily, dwarf hair starts to whiten at 130 years.
Code: [Select]
[TLCM_NOUN:hair:SINGULAR] [TLCM_TIMING:ROOT:80:0:130:0] [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:WHITE:1] [TLCM_NOUN:hair:SINGULAR] [TLCM_TIMING:ROOT:130:0:150:0]
It's just something players don't usually deal with due to the fact that dwarves die like lemmings whenever anyone attempts to observe them. If anything, he could be a werebeast, but that's a long shot too. It's probably just a rare case of a dwarf managing to survive until the end of its natural life, possibly by staying in one spot so long his attributes rusted down to subpar levels.

A quick inspection in LegendsViewer would clear the matter up right away.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 05:45:19 pm »

Wait... that dwarf has goblin ethics ?

Well, that would be one point towards "head of a goblin culture" ethics anyway. Maybe his civ got conquered by goblins.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:47:44 pm by Naryar »

soulsource

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 05:55:13 pm »

He was a vampire. I discovered it, as I'm using therapist, and although it doesn't directly reveal which dwarfs are vampires (unless you tell it to), there's still the display of the number of kills. Well, when browsing for suitable conscripts, I couldn't help but notice that he has more than 600 victims...

Anyhow, an unfortunate accident happened, as someone pulled the wrong lever while he was guarding the main passage to the lower levels, sending him flying through the corridor... The dwarf that accidentally pulled the wrong lever set it back to its previous position, and well, now I've got a slab that reminds my dwarfs of the schizophrenic goblin-dwarf vampire, that died just a few days after he arrived...
Quote from: Porkins Windu
Really, DF and Metal are practically the same. Drunkenness, Death, Depression, Depravity, Despondence, Demons, Dementia, Darkness. And thats just the D's!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 08:15:25 pm »

He was a vampire. I discovered it, as I'm using therapist, and although it doesn't directly reveal which dwarfs are vampires (unless you tell it to), there's still the display of the number of kills. Well, when browsing for suitable conscripts, I couldn't help but notice that he has more than 600 victims...
600+ kills isn't necessarily a guaranteed indicator of vampirism - he could simply have been a very prolific bandit...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 08:15:49 pm »

What a waste.
You can make an (almost) immortal soldier, given time.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 07:34:17 pm »

Cultural identity is very much a thing in the game.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 05:35:11 am »

600+ kills isn't necessarily a guaranteed indicator of vampirism - he could simply have been a very prolific bandit...
You could cross check in-game. A bandit should list the kill, right?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 06:13:42 am »

He dreams of ruling the world.
How could this dream be realized?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 04:39:19 am »

Thats likely the point.  Besides being a completely real ambition; curtailed in modern times by our cultures of caring, promotion/acceptance/expectation of mediocrity (amoung us, the not-leaders), and the cowed nature of us all.

man.  Im cowed . . . :'(
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:41:28 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: [1] 2