Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I stop my pond turtle shells from being blue?  (Read 1475 times)

Cali

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How do I stop my pond turtle shells from being blue?
« on: February 20, 2015, 11:29:24 pm »

I tried to make what I thought was a simple change to colors.txt, giving the blues a lighter shade, but it turned my pond turtle shells from green to blue. Here's an image first with the standard color scheme, then using the blues from Vherid's Default+ color scheme:

I also tried using using the color values for cobalt and azure listed at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color, but with the same result. It turns out that only changing blue (as opposed to light blue) causes this issue.

I am using Mac version 40.24 with no mods; the only changes I've made are to options in init.txt and d_init.txt, and a personal tileset (not graphics set).

Something that might be related is mentioned under the Color Tokens section of this wiki page:

Material contaminants and dyes do not use color flags; instead, they reference color tokens defined in descriptor_color_standard.txt. Color tokens are simply referenced by the token name, e.g. [STATE_COLOR:SOLID:DARK_GREEN] or [POWDER_DYE:EMERALD]. However, the defined RGB values are never actually displayed in-game - instead, the game uses one of the above 16 colors, choosing the one with the closest RGB values.

Unfortunately, pond turtle shells use [STATE_COLOR:SOLID:DARK_GREEN]. So my question is this: Is there a way for me to lighten the blue shades in colors.txt without affecting the [STATE_COLOR:SOLID:DARK_GREEN] token? It doesn't have to be the exact shades I mentioned, I just find the standard blue to be too dark. My previous attempts changed blue from RGB 0-0-128 to 18-51-175 (Vherid's Default+), then 0-71-171 (Cobalt).

If that's not feasible, is there a way for me to alter the [STATE_COLOR:SOLID:DARK_GREEN] token directly so that it's not affected by changes to colors.txt? Or is there a third option that I'm not aware of? As long as I end up with lighter blues and green pond turtle shells, I'll be happy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:32:33 am by Cali »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Why are my pond turtle shells blue?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 03:04:05 am »

The game figures that your new blue is closer to the pond turtle material color as defined in the raws than it is to your green.

Cali

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Why are my pond turtle shells blue?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 03:31:13 am »

Thanks for the reply. I probably should have titled this: How do I stop my pond turtle shells from being blue? Is there a way that you know of for me to modify the raws so these shells will stay green?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: How do I stop my pond turtle shells from being blue?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 03:35:50 am »

Make your blue less green computer-wise, I guess. It's kind of an odd situation. Maybe change the shells in the raws' color to a more green green (GREEN is the greenest green in the raws).

Cali

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 04:08:02 am »

Success! I changed [STATE_COLOR:SOLID:DARK_GREEN] to [STATE_COLOR:SOLID:GREEN] and it worked! I now have lighter blues and (bright) green turtle shells. Thank you very much for your help!

(I'm also very amused by the number of times you managed to say "green" in your last post.  :) )

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 04:08:56 am »

No Mario Kart joke? B12, I am dissapoint.
This is a blank sig.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 06:40:01 pm »

Success! I changed [STATE_COLOR:SOLID:DARK_GREEN] to [STATE_COLOR:SOLID:GREEN] and it worked! I now have lighter blues and (bright) green turtle shells. Thank you very much for your help!

(I'm also very amused by the number of times you managed to say "green" in your last post.  :) )

However, the problem will still persist for any thing considered "Dark Green". You may want to consider modifying discriptor_color_standard.txt to make DARK_GREEN more green.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Cali

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 10:28:26 pm »

Oh! What an excellent suggestion! I figured if any other discrepancies came up, I'd deal with them on a case by case basis, but this is much easier. I discovered that JADE is a much closer match to DARK_GREEN, so I am truly happy overall. You and Putnam are rock stars. Thanks!

(Monkeyhead, you get an honorable mention for trying to inject levity into the thread. I've never actually played Mario Kart, but I've heard that, while it might be great to *wield* blue shells, it's not nice to be the victim of them, which is the situation I found myself in.)

Edited to add: Zarathustra30, even though the name is slightly different, are you the same person who made the Zaratustra 16x16 tileset? My personal tileset is based heavily on that one and Rogue Yun's Simple Mood. If it is you, then I have even more to thank you for. :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:39:39 pm by Cali »

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 03:16:21 pm »

Oh! What an excellent suggestion! I figured if any other discrepancies came up, I'd deal with them on a case by case basis, but this is much easier. I discovered that JADE is a much closer match to DARK_GREEN, so I am truly happy overall. You and Putnam are rock stars. Thanks!

(Monkeyhead, you get an honorable mention for trying to inject levity into the thread. I've never actually played Mario Kart, but I've heard that, while it might be great to *wield* blue shells, it's not nice to be the victim of them, which is the situation I found myself in.)

Edited to add: Zarathustra30, even though the name is slightly different, are you the same person who made the Zaratustra 16x16 tileset? My personal tileset is based heavily on that one and Rogue Yun's Simple Mood. If it is you, then I have even more to thank you for. :)

Nope! Our names are similar, but I didn't produce the tileset. It's a nice tileset, though.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Cali

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 05:14:09 pm »

Gotcha. Would have been a nice coincidence, but I guess the world isn't quite as small as it seems. (Which makes sense considering I usually play on medium worlds.  ;) )