Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Microsoft 10 and hololense  (Read 5179 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft 10 and hololense
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 02:42:48 pm »

think of all the epic things we could do with t.....dwarf fortress....that would be awesome. holographic keyboard and UI with the terrain at our feet, much like in the minecraft example.....pure....ahhh well, we can dream
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 02:57:23 pm »

think of all the epic things we could do with t.....dwarf fortress....that would be awesome. holographic keyboard and UI with the terrain at our feet, much like in the minecraft example.....pure....ahhh well, we can dream

I suspect that both VR and AR will result in entirely new formats for gaming in general. Physical board games generally don't translate well to computers, for example. Tag on the playground wouldn't translate well as a smartphone game. 2D gaming will probably not translate well to VR/AR. "Holographic keyboard" probably doesn't make a lot of sense for an interface for which immersiveness is the whole point, and top view games in general probably won't work very well in a 3d interface. Sure, you could do it. But you can play monopoly on a computer screen too. But do you?

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 03:02:36 pm »

good point.....mmmmm.....what do you think we would see in gaming on these?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 03:04:40 pm »

IDK, IE has been getting quite a bit better over the years, apparently. I've heard that it's not even that bad anymore, so the rebranding would be a good move.
Too bad for MS that everybody is already so attached to the browser they're currently using and the image of IE as a piece of shit.
Eh, lately, other browsers have been getting more shit, so it may well rise in popularity. FF has gotten sluggish as crap from what I've heard, and there are some places where chrome topples over often. This page, for example: https://www.shadertoy.com/browse (it may not crash the browser, but it will try pretty hard, and probably effectively lock it up for several seconds; same with FF). So there's plenty of room for improvement.

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 03:08:14 pm »

On one hand, gaming would get a better rep if people were actually active while gaming instead of Southfield on the couch all day.
On the other hand... gaming would get a worse rep because its visible face would be people running around waving invisible swords at invisible monsters.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 03:11:26 pm »

soooo.....the rep loss and gain would balance out you think? or would one be a bigger gain/loss than the other?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 03:12:25 pm »

I suspect that both VR and AR will result in entirely new formats for gaming in general. Physical board games generally don't translate well to computers, for example. Tag on the playground wouldn't translate well as a smartphone game. 2D gaming will probably not translate well to VR/AR. "Holographic keyboard" probably doesn't make a lot of sense for an interface for which immersiveness is the whole point, and top view games in general probably won't work very well in a 3d interface. Sure, you could do it. But you can play monopoly on a computer screen too. But do you?

How long do you estimate it will be for Konami to make a Yugioh game using this as a way to boost interest?  Or for a pokemon fan game that uses this to show up?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 03:18:01 pm »

How long do you estimate it will be for Konami to make a Yugioh game using this as a way to boost interest?  Or for a pokemon fan game that uses this to show up?

I would hope almost as soon as this is available. bonus points for voice recognition in the Pokémon game.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 03:22:23 pm »

I would hope almost as soon as this is available. bonus points for voice recognition in the Pokémon game.

Another if there is the possibility of wild encounters.

A more hilarious one if Konami releases a duel disk peripheral for the game as well as card sleeves that hold what card a card is as an alternate input for the game/more realism for the more hardcore fans.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 03:25:52 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2015, 04:00:13 pm »

No, and sure it's awesome and all...but in terms of augmented reality I'm far more interested in virtual digital assistants in that regard. I look forward to being able to walk down the street explaining to a Twilight Sparkle that nobody else can see about all the weird things that humans do.

Then a year or two after that, everyone having a toggle to show/hide theirs and others public avatars and assistants. So, change your avatar to your favorite character, and everyone with "view others" enabled will see you as that character. Plus the ability to override other people's settings on our own local view, so for example everyone you see looks like a hot girl. Or a pony. Being able to download themes, so that our entire visual experience is replaced. Etc.
If all that happens hacking is going to get so much more awesome. Can't wait for subtle changes in perception designed to gradually drive you insane. Though that whole visual theme thing as it is sounds like a pretty good way to lose touch with reality.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:02:56 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2015, 04:10:37 pm »

If all that happens hacking is going to get so much more awesome. Can't wait for subtle changes in perception designed to gradually drive you insane. Though that whole visual theme thing as it is sounds like a pretty good way to lose touch with reality.
Seemed obligatory https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2015, 02:09:43 am »

I have zero interest in the holononsense bit but can see this thread is about Windows 10 too.

And they did drop quite a bomb few days ago. quite sure everybody and the dog heard about it, but in short Win 10 will be a free upgrade for all users worldwide, 7/8 up, pirates included.

Other heavy hitter is moving to "Windows as a service" model - hinting that it might be last numbered release and from now on we`ll only get "updates".

What interests me is what it means for a normal user in a long term. Personally I`m a caveman who`s still running Win XP on my desktop - I don`t play modern games atm, and I`m not worried about security scaremongering so it`s just perfect. Recently by a strange twist of fate (aka unresearched impulse buy) ended up stuck on a Win 8.1-only laptop...after initial panic got it to a state where it acts just like Windows should - old interface, no interference and stability. Only downside is lack of compability with old DOS games but this can be remedied by various means.

So, I thought maybe it`s all not so bad after all...but now this announcement stirred things up again. What worries me basically is that at some point they will lock the thing down - as in, you will require some sort of MS login to use it without heavy hassle and the intrusion of Metro, Shop etc will be unavoidable. Basically, I use Win as a basic shell - everything else is run by 3rd party software.

As much as I hate Google I must admit  it`s still possible to use Android device perfectly fine without signing up with them. I hope it will still be possible with Windows too -  I suppose I could move to Linux eventually but gaming is rather limited over there...

Anyway, quite a shake up for the ol`behemoth. Seems kicking Ballmer out worked, for better or worse...

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2015, 02:41:40 am »

what do you think we would see in gaming on these?

Thats a good question, perhaps things like AOE/AOM, D&D, Warhammer... actualy lets say all RTS games would play well, farming sims, pet sims. Alot, but never things like FPS unless you and a group of mates really want to run around the city bumping into people and pretending to shoot eachother.

I would like old school games like a game of tanks. Just 1 tank per player and randomly generated terrain that moulds around the RL objects, table legs becoming trees/buildings yada yada..
And Worms, while not everybody liked Worms 3D (i prefer 2D) its is another game that could work.
Or just put it on a cat and play rats on my floor simulator and have much more fun that any game.. I started laughing thinking of it.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 03:00:57 am »

they did drop quite a bomb few days ago.

Interesting. I somehow missed this. I'm not sure how I feel about this.I happen to have probably half a dozen legitimate windows licenses of varying versions, so I suppose the free upgrade is...nice. But I've routinely found that it's better to not upgrade windows, because new versions are generally terrible at first. Horrendous resource hogs, compatibility issues...it's just easier to run older versions most of the time. But sure, grab one machine, try out windows 10...talk to Cortana, why not? I can always wipe and install something else instead.

I am however, suspicious. What are they thinking? Presumably there are still ways they can make money besides selling operating systems. Office software, server tools, SQL, exchange, visual studio, they've made a few games etc. And they sell some hardware. Xbox, kinect, soon hololens. Probably they own and sell a bunch of other stuff I don't even know about.

But historically, I'd thought the majority of microsoft's revenue came from OEM sales. They've had a monopoly on operating systems, and an awful lot of manufacturers have contracts requiring that they include a licensed copy of windows with every machine they sell. Would this mean giving up that revenue stream, or are they keeping those contracts and charging OEMs, and most users just don't have to worry about it? That's possible. And not very ominous. It might not even change very much. People who build their own machines and actually buy a license probably aren't a big source of revenue anyway. They'd only be giving that up.

But again, I'm suspicious. Thinking of windows in the context of "free to play" games...are they going to be nickel and diming for individual services?OS is free, but if you want drivers for your hardware, that's extra. Want the latest security patch? That's extra too. Depending on how nasty they want to be...this could be terrible.

But again...it doesn't need to be entirely ominous. Controlling the operating system has benefits for them. It gives them control of other markets. They can releaseother software and make it exclusive to windows. Having windows be free means a lot of people will be running it, and more likely to buy software for windows. But they already control the market. If this was their motivation, what would prompt them to feel it was a good move?

So, suspicious. Not hugely concerned. Worst case if I don't like it, there's Linux. And Android is reasonably likely to become viable as a PC OS in the next few years. In fact, it's possible that microsoft is doing this preemptively to cut off google before that happens. Linux has not been a huge threat to them, but if google decided to push Android as a PC operating system, that could be devastating to them years down the road.

Short term, biggest change for me is that it means one of my computers will have Cortana. I'm ok with that.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 03:40:19 am »

windows 10

If anyone wants to try it, a Windows 10 technical preview is available for download.

Important: Unlike previous upgrade releases, apparently there is no uninstall feature. It claims that even if you have a reinstall partition set up, it won't work. So don't do this unless you're willing to wipe and reinstall something else if it ends badly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3