Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting goblin siege  (Read 1089 times)

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
Interesting goblin siege
« on: February 19, 2015, 04:37:51 pm »

So, just continued on a fairly new fortress that I had made after not playing for awhile.  I was just enjoying my life, unaware of the fact that I had met the criteria (and therefore I was terribly unprepared) when I got a goblin siege.  Due to my lack of preparedness I rushed to throw a few quick cage traps down and hope for the best, but once I had finished I realized all the goblins were gone... They literally just came, killed my animals and left, it was like a hit-and-run siege xD

Anyways is this normal for goblins not to try to attack your fortress and not try to kill your dwarves?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:00:12 pm by Terff »
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

sum1confused

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting goblin siege
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:00:23 pm »

It was a drive-by shooting, The Goblin Mafia.
I once bit a fellow's tongue from behind. It was awkward.

firelord84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 05:02:41 pm »

Most likely you were in the path of a passing army.  They were on the way to somewhere else and your fortress happened to be in the way.  So they came and killed what they could immediately get at, and then left on their way to their real target.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 11:18:19 pm »

It's also possible that some of the goblins were "pulped" by your horse and water buffalo before they decided to retreat.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:22:19 pm »

I know that ambushes often leave if there are no immediately accessible targets once they've killed a few things, does the same apply to sieges?

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 12:16:30 pm »

I embarked within range of a tower and so far I have had 3 sieges, each consisting of a single zombie that left instantly.  Then a few days later a single necromancer is revealed at my entrance, who promptly runs away too quickly to be attacked...

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 03:25:05 pm »

Place some reanimatable refuse in a location where he can get to it without being seen by dwarves, but has to path over cage traps to see the refuse.  This is a decent defense against necromancers, which can potentially be dangerous otherwise, and caged necromancer zombie generators can be useful for all sorts of things (zombie bacon farming, producing zombies for defense (send some corpses past your necromancer before dropping them into the caverns to attack an FB, or the same thing with goblins.  Just make sure not to let your dwarves into the area until the zombies have been destroyed, unless they can handle it).