Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Lost Isle/[1st Cycle-Missing the Birdgirl. Not that one, the other one]  (Read 58562 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Wataklano nods.

"There are many paths in and out-not the same ones can be used, all the time. We only trust our friends such as Coney Rainshadow with the knowledge of those secret entrances, and exactly when they can be accessed. Once this day has passed, this gentle fall will have it's cushioning spell shorn and placed in another area-those who follow, will be surprised. At least, for a few seconds.

...As for your friend, we will dispatch a party of twelve to recover her from the surface. I worry for her safety. The nights have gotten very cold recently.

For now, come with me. There is a feast to attend, and the matter of your gift."

He leads you by torchlight deeper into the Kenku Monastery...

---

The Kenku who live here reside in passive harmony with the stone-small, twisting passages dug through soft rock lead to wide rooms with low roofs. These warrens must extend for miles, housing living space and storehouses of at a Kenku colony at least two-hundred strong, Wataklano explains. They have snaked through almost the entire mountain in the about two centuries they have resided here-they have farms hidden up high in the cliffs, hidden in small vales of stone none can reach by foot, and regularly practice 'dungeon ecology'-a term he explains is managing their underdark in a harmonious fashion, nurturing helpful animals and fungus to grow naturally and removing obstacles to that growth.

Kawtari is surprised -Kenku are a race with no ancestral homeland or great and powerful holdings. Their people are scattered in small bands, nomadic or solitary such as herself. It's rare to have such a thriving community, but it goes to some lengths to explain their secrecy. Kenku are often profiled (rightly or wrongly) as dishonest and thieving, and usually face the unfriendly arms of the local law if they reside in a place too long, with too great a number. Here, the Kenku have found an odd sort of balance, using the Mythical Roc's strength and it's legend of danger to keep away the civilized folk...she alone also understands from his subtle handsigns in the secret language that he says this all with great sadness. Soon they will have to leave it all behind.

Your host leads you into a dining hall, humble by any standards-a long table that would seat about fifty, end to end-and a roaring fire. It feels like nothing more than a home. The cracking of trundling Kenku chicks (so many...*), the cooing of mothers, the gentle voices of the workers retiring after a hard day...

Balisets are strung in exotic and beautiful tunes by Kenku in colorful masks and clothes-an amusing affection for music and play they usually never show to outsiders.

Mood music= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1DNyngKVY

You are lead to the head of the tower-cap table and given a grand introduction-they welcome you, and provide what is likely to be the last feast this hall will ever have. There is joy here, and sadness. But, mostly joy.

It could be said-if the universe is yet rotting away an inch at a time, this place yet remains pure and whole...

----

Wataklano orders pitchers of Ghanama* to be brought, and a great variety of other food-multitudes of seed grain, meet strips, small hard pieces of bread, and bowls of fruits. There are a number of specialty dishes that Kenku enjoy-mostly fried beetles, barbequed dragonflies, and boiled deep-worms, which all taste surprisingly like chicken.They are all in very small portions, as Kenku prefer.

"Eat, eat!" he insists. "It's not like we can take it with us. We'd rather it fill the stomachs of good folk, rather then whatever nasty things move in afterwards."

Amusements pass as well-Kenku bards begin to compete ridiculous ballads about their newcomers-often using the persons voice to add that piquant touch.

The one up now seems to be singing about Samara. In her voice.

"~Ohhh, wizardy-wizardly, presto-gheee, my name is Samara, look at me...
...Pretty Elven Wizards, we always knows whats best-shoot them, shock them, burn the rest...
...crash them and smash them and blow them apart-now, now pay attention dear heart...~"

The feast hall is otherwise at your command-once you are finished you can retire to the night to your own seperate room-they have many empty ones. They promise the nights prime entertainment, and a final goodbye to their home, will be the blessing of Great Beaks feathers a gift to your party. Each person also seems to have attracted a portion of Kenku society to mingle around...though the Kenku here do not have much use for money or material possessions, they do indicate some shopkeepers are likely in the crowd, if you wish to purchase any equipments.

In any case, your departure is scheduled for the next morning-Wataklano remains amusingly evasive, but implies your return trip will be much faster than the time it took for you to get here.

Samara is being questioned by Kenku monks, philosophers, and Artifex on her arcane theories-they explain they are mostly wizards and such-their specialty is manipulating terrains to create the natural maze you've been led into. They seem interested in sharing knowledge, but like all Wizards are more hungry to take knowledge than to give it away...

Sarco has attracted a number of Kenku warriors who seems eager to trade war stories-most of them are young and inexperienced, eager to hear stories of the Lizardfolk Knight.

Tadhg has attracted two dozen Kenku chicks (cute little balls of feathers) who seem to enjoy playing practical jokes, and taking things from his pockets, only to replace them different things. Lucky him!

Aldeth is mostly left alone, but Coney is keeping her company-they are melding minds and thoughts, exchanging memories and feelings...

Kawtari seems to have the interest of many more prominent members of the community-she is given at least a few veiled suggestions that she would be welcome here, if she decided to stay. Wataklano particularly seems fond of her, if not openly flirting-yet.

A few hours into the party, it will be announced that the rescue party found Akira shivering in the snow, afraid to make the leap. She was still alive, but badly sick, and they promised to treat her as best they can...

*Kenku must have lost some sort of Ancestral lottery, because their race has always been against two hard edges-they breed slowly, most females producing a single clutch of 2-3 eggs that take a year to mature in their own lives-and they only live on average 45-60 years, aging faster than most other mortal races. As such, their population is often small and in danger of destruction.
*Ghanama: A traditional Kenku beverage-a very sweet drink made from fruits, served very, very cold. It's usually so sweet that other races find it unpalatable, but Kenku have a reduced sense of taste and tend to handle it much better.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:59:33 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Samara tries to bargain for an exchange of spells with her fellows among the Kenku.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Kenku are not impressed with your bold, no-frills bargaining style.

Still, several show interest in your Sleep, Flaming Sphere, Misty Step spells., and ask what you like in return.

"We have knowledge of spells that mimic flight-powerful transmutation, illusion and divination magics.

...I admit, many are also interested in your beautiful Crystal Owl. We could perhaps trade for that."
They say eagerly. Samara might regret having not having the time to study it fully...still she brings it out inspection-it's natural form is a small, translucent sphere. When a small indentation is pressed, the crystal unfolds into the form of an owl, quite impressively.

The crystal owl is quite beautiful, wowing the Kenku around her-it merely looks around, occasionally giving Samara a cock-eyed glance. She's not quite sure how intelligent these things are, but it seems to react like a living creature would.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Grah hah hah! Of course, their initial charge was withering! And my unit was in the thick of it, there were so many pressing their slimey bodies against us that it seemed as if the whole world had been transformed into nothing else, but we held the line long enough for the third mounted to arrive and hit them in the flank. They were brave, certainly but finding themselves between our anvil and the thirds hammer was a bit too much for them, and they soon retreated back into the river. Hah! I bet they regret not finishing us off when they had the chance, with the third joined to our formation we swept south, hitting a few more raiding parties before meeting up with the main host. Of course, what happened then is a whole other story..."

Sarco found himself relaxing more then he had though possible when in foreign lands. But between the music, the good food, and above all the feeling of safety he was feeling better then he had since he left Dous. He quite enjoyed recalling tales of his military exploits for the young avians, and spun them for a while. Only once the news of Akira being found did he come back to the present. He was relived that she was found, but worried about her sickness. After reassuring himself that he could not help her, he excused himself from the warriors to stretch his legs and wander among the Kenku, searching particularly for any who might be willing to sell to the party.

Learn about the various merchants goods.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

((I warned you about the lazy posts, bro. I told you. In my excuse, at work right now.  :P))

"Mm, my dears, there are indeed a few minor conveniences which you may possess that could peak my interest sufficiently to share my own masterful work. Among these are the magics known in the common tongue as Alter Self, Blink, Blur, Color Spray, Comprehend Languages, Expeditious Retreat, Invisibility, Mirror Image, See Invisibility, and or Web. Those are all, I think, that you are both likely to possess and which would be worth my time, given your own statements. Unless you have something of a much higher circle hidden away, of course..." Samara grins, a rather predatory glint in her eyes.

3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Kawtari was showing a a side of herself that was rarely seen, when she was in the world of men.
Enjoying the music, the feeling of being around so many others of her kind. Her tribe wasn't a huge amount larger, and they had the security of a kingdom protecting their forest.

At the notions of staying... it was tempting, truth be told. But she was a hunter, and she didn't know what vile influence the Thing would have on her clutch.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sarco is introduced to a few clucking, portly Kenku Merchants at the party he can further speak to arrange any purchases.

Spoiler: Kenku Merchant Flock (click to show/hide)

---

((I warned you about the lazy posts, bro. I told you. In my excuse, at work right now.  :P))

"Mm, my dears, there are indeed a few minor conveniences which you may possess that could peak my interest sufficiently to share my own masterful work. Among these are the magics known in the common tongue as Alter Self, Blink, Blur, Color Spray, Comprehend Languages, Expeditious Retreat, Invisibility, Mirror Image, See Invisibility, and or Web. Those are all, I think, that you are both likely to possess and which would be worth my time, given your own statements. Unless you have something of a much higher circle hidden away, of course..." Samara grins, a rather predatory glint in her eyes.

The Wizards gathered have all these spells at their command, and agree for a simple trade-the knowledge of three of your spells, for the knowledge of three of theirs.

An old and Wizened Kenku offers an alternate deal, with a wry gleam on his beak.

"I can teach you the secret of the Dimension Door spell, for all of what you possess. I sense you wish to move places, do you not?" He says with a chuckle, no doubt just as eager to keep the knowledge from his colleagues. Wizards, man.

It is a very good offer...if one you won't be able to take advantage of quite yet. Dimension Door is one of the marks of a powerful wizard-true magical transportation at long distances, and you need to become much stronger to fully utilize it. Your own Misty Step spell is a significantly weaker version of it...needless to say, if you tried a Dimension Door spell right now you'd probably never come back. Still, how likely will it be for you come across this rare knowledge so easily?

Choose wisely...

Action: What do you want?

---

Kawtari was showing a a side of herself that was rarely seen, when she was in the world of men.
Enjoying the music, the feeling of being around so many others of her kind. Her tribe wasn't a huge amount larger, and they had the security of a kingdom protecting their forest.

At the notions of staying... it was tempting, truth be told. But she was a hunter, and she didn't know what vile influence the Thing would have on her clutch.

Wataklano is a perfect host.

"+Kawtari, you must try these rare Fire Beetle Eggs! I mastered the recipe and cooked them myself. Which is to say, I mastered others for who had already mastered the recipe and then mastered others to cook them for me, on your behalf.

I know, I'm very impressive.+"
says 'the big boaster'.

Kawtari hasn't had fire beetle eggs in a long time. They are incredibly delicious, needless to say.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As much as Sarco wished that he could replace his finery left behind, he did not really have the spare funds to put together a proper set of clothing. So he turned to more practical matters, although he also still probably could not afford them, at least the information could come in handy if he shortly came into a large number of funds...

What unique weapons does Louloquisho have? And what enchantments for what price does Ona have?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sarco discusses some of the things he can buy with the weaponmaker...

Louloquisho Masterworks

Gleamsong Blade
Halberd
Mastercrafted/+1 to hit and damage rolls
Mithril/Half weight, counts as silver for DR purposes, immune to acid corrosion and rust, adds finesse trait
Personal Soundtrack/This weapon can be toggled to emit a heroic personal soundtrack that magically plays in the air around the user.
Keen/This weapons critical hit range is increased to 19-20.
Blooddrinker/This weapon needs a drop of warm humanoid blood a day for it's abilities to work

Cost: 500 Gold

Hurricane Quarterstaff
Quarterstaff
Mithril/Half weight, counts as silver for DR purposes, immune to acid corrosion and rust, adds finesse trait
Windblast/Works as the 'Thunderblast' spell, but does half bludgeon and half cold damage. Can be done a number of times a day equal to half the wielders level rounded down, or multiple uses can be expended to increase it's damage as per an additional spell level. It can also be used as a ranged attack if the wielder tosses the staff.
Returning/This weapon will always attempt to return to the wielder if thrown-usually this is automatic, but the user may have to make a DEX save to catch it in some situations. This weapon does 1d6 bludgeon when tossed normally.
Fresh Air/This weapon needs to taste the fresh wind at least an hour a day to power it's abilities.

The Blueblade
Greatsword
Astral Drift Metal/This weapon counts as silver and cold iron for DR purposes, and it always strikes true vs incorporeal enemies.
Call to Arms/During combat, this weapon alerts the user to the most dangerous enemy he is aware of in CR-this is useful when fighting groups of similar enemies, when the most dangerous foe is not always apparent.
Holy Light/This weapon constantly emits a cold blue light in a 10 ft radius around the wielder. Evil beings in this lights radius beneath your level receive a disadvantage on their attack rolls, ability checks, and saves.
Aura of Resolve/The user and all allies within the radius of the light gain the advantage on any checks to resist magical compulsions and enchantments.
Goodly Weapon/This weapon only works in the hands of someone of devoutly good alignment.

Cost: 1000 Gold

----

Ona shyly offers the following enchantments as well. She politely informs you that enchantments tend to become more powerful in time as the user gets more familiar with them, and that layering additional enchantments on a single piece of equipment tends to become steadily more difficult and expensive to do-a bit like trying to fit more furniture into a tiny apartment...

Enchantments
Ice Ward
Effect: Makes the wielder of a chosen piece of armor resistant to cold attacks. At character level 10, this ability upgrades to complete immunity to cold attacks.

Cost: 250 Gold

Frostflower
Effect: A double enchantment performed on weapons that gives the wielder of the chosen weapon 1d4 cold damage a hit, and increases the effects of any healing-resting, ability, or magical-by 1d4 HP. At level 10, these abilities increases to 1d8.

Frosty Air
Effect: Enchants a weapon to chill the air around the user in a 5ft radius, doing 1d8 cold damage and reducing the speed by 10ft for the next round of anyone in the area around you. The user can temporarily detach and control the frost cloud to attempt to attach it to a single enemy in 50ft by hitting with a ranged attack. It can be used a number of rounds equal to your character level. At level 10, this ability becomes permanent.
Cost: 250 Gold
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 12:22:31 pm by Dwarmin »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Samara preens, "Ah, yes, how generous. I am afraid that I must exchange ideas with your juniors today, my friend, but perhaps we may speak again in the future when I have gained new knowledge?"

When he has answered, she nods politely and turns to the other kenku wizards, "Now then, as agree, the three aforementioned spells of mine in exchange for... yes, I think that Mirror Image, Invisibility, and See Invisibility will do nicely. This is acceptable to you, dears?"

She pauses for a moment, and then poses another question, a slight glint in her eye, "Ah, and this ancient construct of mine," she gestures to the owl, "You have an interest, I believe? I would be willing to exchange it... say, for the materials necessary for me to scribe those three spells into my own grimoire, and a reasonable price atop that. It is, after all, an irreplaceable artifact handed down from long ago, and they rarely leave the hands of my people. I doubt you'll ever see another, much less one available for purchase. What say you, friends?"

3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Kenku squawk to one another in intense discussion-Samara has always known they have some sort of secret language, but has never puzzled it out...

"Your terms are acceptable, Featherless.

As the artifact...it is truly beyond price, is it not? Perhaps we can offer you something in return? In addition to the materials, as a display of good will "

Several of the Kenku bring forth a chest bound with many locks. When opened, it reveals a pair of supple cloth bracers inscribed with many runes...

Mercury Bracers
These bracers constantly provide +2 AC to the user
It acts as the effects of the 'Shield' spell once a day, to negate an attack.
This item must be exposed to moonlight once every 24 hours to work
It only effects those who are unarmored

"These are precious-increases the reflexes of the wielder to avoid enemy attacks. Of course, one can claim our role is to avoid attack, but that does not quite conform to reality, does it?" He insists, rubbing his feathery hands together.

The Owl seems displeased it's about to be traded away.

It makes a whistling sound at Samara. Whistles that sound oddly like a language.

"{Jyoo jtyeet?}"

Several of the Kenku seem surprised by that, but they don't offer any more comments. How suspicious!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

"Mm, yes, we do indeed have a deal," Samara agrees. She lightly pokes the owl's head, "As for you, be grateful! They're likely to appreciate you far more than I ever would."

Accept the bracers, settle the arrangements with the wizards, start scribing.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:44:38 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aldeth, now much better, wanders over to speak to Ona.
Placing the necklace in the hands of the blind Kenku, she says "I was told that this was a key. Do you have any idea where the door might be?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"{Tyoo tee jee...}" The owl grumbles, as it's control bracer is traded for a Mercury Bracer.

It only takes a short time to attune yourself to the item, and you begin to scribe your scrolls while you do so.

You smile as the bracer adjusts itself to the size of your wrist perfectly-it's a simple layer of silk layered with strips of silver and small blue sapphires, beautiful, yet functional. You can easily recall from your studies that Mercury is a another planet around Nepathica's solar-system, and it's astrological and divine sign is traditionally associated with speed. You flex your hands, feeling the benefit of your enhanced reflexes-you don't quite feel you could catch a fly, but your reactions are much better. As a test, you ask Tadhg to toss an apple at you and notice with interest that your reactions increase in proportion to an incoming threat.

You make a note that it might not be effective against an attacks you completely don't see coming. Also, the bracer seems to have been recharged recently, but you feel a need to bathe it in moonlight-feel a strange lunar connection now, the need to dance under the moon and stars...in fact, you get a feeling that wearing the bracer will gradually incline you more to the night life-you might eventually feel more comfortable at night than day. It's a item powerful associated with a phase of day, and you feel it will affect in some strange ways...

---
Aldeth, now much better, wanders over to speak to Ona.
Placing the necklace in the hands of the blind Kenku, she says "I was told that this was a key. Do you have any idea where the door might be?"

Ona runs her hands over it, chanting in a low voice. Her head seems to go from side to side-as if she sees much, despite her lost eyes.

"...do you have a hammer, young Human?" She finally asks.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"No... one moment. Sacro, Tadhg, do either of you have a hammer I could borrow?"
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 58