Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Lost Isle/[1st Cycle-Missing the Birdgirl. Not that one, the other one]  (Read 58536 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle/[1st cycle-Piscine Panic]
« Reply #555 on: March 23, 2015, 08:54:16 am »

Needless to the say, the next few moments are...interesting to watch.

Three of the Sahuagin reach your side of the canal and run off screeching into the passage you came from. Your premonitions about the deep water turn out to be correct-two of the Sahuagin vanish as a great hulking, tentacled shadow drags them under the water-only Sarco sees a glimpse of...whatever it was...an aberration with two eyes on stalks, and two claws...oddly, the Sahaugin don't thrash or fight-whatever it is that consumes them seems to paralyze them with fear.

Spoiler: For Sarco's eyes only (click to show/hide)

After a moment, the shadow dives once more, taking it's prizes with it. And there it waits...

The last Sahuagin flaps fearfully back to shore, standing with the bow-wielders. It seems the battle might start once again, but this time it is interrupted by the doors being blown outward with explosive force-what slithers through looks remarkably like the statue you all saw earlier...though, she is quit a bit taller, her skin pale as snow, her hair dark, wild red. She surveys the field with cold (and beautiful) blue eyes, dismissing the party entirely-concentrating on her foes.

"Yail koudh huk dano."
She says calmly-her voice frightening...and enticing. There's hardly a part of her that isn't enticing-Sarco and Kawtari are more or less immune to her more obvious charms, but the others feel...distinctly uncomfortable.

The battle that takes place is remarkably one sided-the regal Serpent Queen tears through the remaining Sahuagin with unholy glee, either mashing them into paste with a massive swinging maul, crushing them in the coils of her serpentine body, or burning them alive with beams of green fire from her eyes-she gives them no mercy or quarter, slaughtering them even when they try to surrender. When the last corpse (beheaded and on fire), goes flying, she turns to you, blooding dripping from her claws and body. She smiles. She's more than pretty, but it's not a pretty sight.

"Welcome. Strangers." She says, inclining her head. "I apologize for the...interruption. You merely happened upon a band of criminals trepassing in my demesne. As you can see...justice has been administered. " She says, gesturing to the mess.

"...Might I ask your reason for being here? I do hate trespassers...but, rudeness is a epidemic, and I would not imply you are here without purpose.

You may call me Queen Xesh. I rule this place. Have you come to serve me? I do have need of mortal servants...I could certainly find a use for some of you."
She says luxuriously, her heavy, blood soaked mace swinging idly.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 08:55:55 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle/[1st cycle-Stop, Demon time]
« Reply #556 on: March 23, 2015, 09:28:02 am »

Kawtari took a step forward and inclined her helmet.

"This one apologises for trespassing, your majesty - we did not know. We were merely passing through, aiming to pass to further up the mountain."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 23, 2015, 09:37:57 am »

Sarco nods his head to the serpent queen. "Yes. There is a mad mage terrorizing the people of these lands, and our quest takes us to find a cure for his curses."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 23, 2015, 09:48:01 am »

Xesh's gaze pierces Kawtari.

"Fair enough, for a start. Much more polite than those other ones..." She purrs. "...Still. Why do you wish to go there? The Great-Bird has flown South, and her followers prepare to fly with her-soon their hold with be empty...at least until I seize it with my soldiers. Chaos in the world above, I can take advantage of. I have no doubt you will not be the last of those attempting to come through here..."

she gestures with her mace. "...So, you are on a quest, then. Would that I could help you, but...well, you couldn't afford the price." She smiles beautifully.

"Yes, I notice you're having trouble-and speeding you from my realm would be a boon. I have many people to kill today, and little time to waste on those who-if they are wise-never come here again except to pledge service to me. My patience is only so limited, my hunger only sated so long...

I don't suppose you wish to dive into the pool of the Old Mad One, either. He's awake now-you wouldn't stand so close to the water if you knew better...even one such as I respect him, in his domain.

Anyway....I do know the musical passkey needed to activate the bridge. Would you like to know it?"
She says, tauntingly.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 23, 2015, 09:51:03 am »

"Yes, that would be most beneficent of you. It would be good for us to be able to best avoid... That which lurks."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 23, 2015, 09:58:22 am »

"Of course, I am quite 'beneficent'...a marvelous choice of word. My current followers, they are...so stupid...I would want you by my side, Bird-Warrior, just for such a grasp of vocabulary. I sense you will not bow to me without a fight, however. A true pity.

Since we are half way to a deal, let us discuss the matter of payment...how about a test of wits? Traditionally, a riddle might be asked of those who wish to pass a gatekeeper."
she teases. "Unless you wish to test my strength, of course." She says generously.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 23, 2015, 10:08:37 am »

Sarco is a bit taken aback by the request for them to answer a riddle. He hesitates for a moment before answering "If... That is the condition for your assistance, then we have no chance. I am not one that is great with riddles, but I will do my best to try to think of the answer."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 23, 2015, 10:18:21 am »

"If you'll forgive this one's question, what is the beast that lurks in the water? I am a hunter of the strange."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 23, 2015, 10:32:22 am »

Sarco is a bit taken aback by the request for them to answer a riddle. He hesitates for a moment before answering "If... That is the condition for your assistance, then we have no chance. I am not one that is great with riddles, but I will do my best to try to think of the answer."

“Do you really wish to pay my other price?” She asks Sarco languorously. “You’d certainly enjoy it more, but I don’t think I could let you leave afterwards…” she muses.

"If you'll forgive this one's question, what is the beast that lurks in the water? I am a hunter of the strange."

"He's a kin to the Beholders-the many eyed horrors of tyranny-but an aquatic dweller, a being referred to as an 'Eye of the Deep'. He has lived here for longer than I, and he's quite mad...oh, yes. I believe he once came from the Planes of Water..." She replies politely. "...Those who see his gaze freeze in fear, and he drags them down and consumes them...a most tidy arrangement. He and I have no quarrel. We each control our own realms absolutely. I give him no shortage of fresh meat and the occasional plaything, and he guards the deep places from those who wish to invade my realm from them-of no favor of mine, certainly, but it is no matter. It is a mutual, unspoken arrangement..."
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:07:36 am by Dwarmin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 23, 2015, 11:37:08 am »

"No more questions? That's a disappointment...

Anyway, it's time for you all to amuse me. Good entertainment is worth the price. Or maybe I'm just distracting you till my soldiers get here! I assure you-I have hundreds upon hundreds. Either way, you should probably do your best. Solve my riddle and I will give you the key you need to pass without facing the Old Ones wrath...it's not even very difficult, so please...don't disappoint me."
She says, in a way that's not very reassuring.

Xeph recites the following in a scholarly tone.

"
'I'm always smiling...maybe frowning..
No matter how deep I dive, I never fear drowning...
I kill prey on my sharp teeth...
I hunt all day, but I never eat...
I'm the taste of steel in the taste of sweet...
Patience is the key to avoid me.'

What am I?"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kawtari paused for a moment before her shoulders slumped very slightly.
She hated riddles.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sarco grumbled and looked around at his companions, hoping that one of them would have the answer to this riddle.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Kawtari had absentmindly put away her bow, and took up her chain-hammer again. She swang it in lazy arcs as she thought. The (hopeful) solution occured, and she caught the heavy head in her hand and took a step forward.

"Well, your majesty, I have an idea, though I must admit I have no great proficiency at riddles. A fishing hook. Curved in smile, goes deep but does not drown, hunting for fish it does not eat itself. The taste of steel hidden by bait."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Xeph nods agreeably.

"Well done! That is, of course, an answer. The right answer? Perhaps. I find it also goes to some lengths to describe myself...smiling, frowning, never drowning...metaphorical, literal? You decide...killing my prey...never really being satisfied...the taste of my steel, in the taste of...sweet...oh, you can surely work it all out.

....Now you should ask me a riddle"
She says coyly.

"I promise, I'll tell you the key right after you pose me, or if I guess.

I'm not breaking my word, after all. I said I'd tell you. Just not...exactly...when I would."
Xeph says, enjoying all of this quite a bit. Kawtari is being to feel like a bird being batted around by a cat with a swishing tail.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"...As you wish."

Kawtari span the meteor hammer as she thought... one toe claw clacking on the floor.

It wasn't long before she spoke, the measured five-seven-five of kenku riddles.

"A fang, but mouthless
I live in winter's cold breath
In Summer I die."
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:11:42 pm by GiglameshDespair »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 58