Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 58

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Lost Isle/[1st Cycle-Missing the Birdgirl. Not that one, the other one]  (Read 58600 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle/[1st Cycle~Dark, quiet places]
« Reply #450 on: March 15, 2015, 06:05:29 pm »

Tadhg makes a lazy salute as the halfling enters, but then goes back to wishing he had brought something stronger than water to drink, and stays silent as the others explains the situation except for the occasional hefty sigh when he drinker from his waterskin.
Love, scriver~

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 16, 2015, 08:12:34 am »

"...Acceptable," Samara allows, "However, what is the extent of this... 'Sunkenstew'? How long to cross it, how deep does it go?"

"Nawt long t'all, going cross, hardly half a day and some. 'Course you know to swim, then.

Goes deepah than even Coney has evah, though. She can't breathe that deep. No one can-not even yer Lizahdman. Don't figyah we're going in that direction. Unless it's one way."

The party spends the next hour undergoing a short rest, letting their meatshields recover.

Tadhg recovers +20 HP (now 28/35HP)
Sarco recovers +12 HP (now 27/35HP)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Party Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:50:07 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 16, 2015, 08:52:33 am »

Revived by his time in the warm Sarco is recovered somewhat from the cold. He reared up from his resting position and streched out, before digging around in his pouch for the money to pay the guide. He brought out ten gold coins from his pouch and readying it for payment to the guide. "I am ready. I am glad that we do not have to travel into the wintery hell that is above us."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 16, 2015, 09:00:46 am »

Coney has spent most of the time warming her hands and fletching her crossbow bolts. She nods.

"The weathas not my usual concern anyway. Can't say I wasn't sahprised by it. Shouldn't hurt my business none.

Figure we'll get going soon enough, if ya's ready. One more thing.

She knows how to whispa...nicely..."

The Halfling seems to think to this over, as if trying to put a concept into words you'll understand.

"Coney can speak real quiet. Only on the inside can ya hear her words-useful, down here. The whispa, Her kind can all do this. But, we don't do it without pahmission. Not to outsidahs. Will you let me in, Sahco? It wont hurt."

Sarco feels a queer sensation a that moment-like someone politely knocking on a door...inside his head.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 16, 2015, 09:10:47 am »

Sarco considers the offer for a long moment before finally nodding his head. "Yes. I can see the usefulness of that. Although there is one thing I cannot allow. If we enter battle I would ask you to withdraw from my mind, even though it is an inconvenience. In battle there are some things I must not be distracted for." he says, worried about how this type of communication could distract his concentration from holding onto the wisps. With that he tried to open his mind slightly to the probing. To send it a greeting thought.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 16, 2015, 09:30:28 am »

"You can touch minds? Can you read them, too?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 16, 2015, 09:41:32 am »

Sarco does so-it's not entirely unlike the things he hears from the Wisps, though there is no unpleasant feelings of those fragmented minds-instead it's a mortal mind, infinitely more complicated, fragile, yet beautiful. Even without going further than a slight touch, he feels immediately in tune with Coney's 'self'-he finds he can visualize her position, even if he closes his eyes, and seems to be able to predict her movements to some degree. He feels her own surface thoughts, tentative and probing-for a moment, he allows himself to go a bit deeper through the tunnel Coney has opened between their two minds, and sees what might be true, or just how she is portraying herself to him-consciously or unconsciously. He finds a fiercely romantic heart, like a small wisp of flame cupped in his hand, beautiful to see, painful to hold-encased in an iron box of harsh discipline, and cold pragmatism-curious and nervous when meeting strangers, though she never lets it show, a professional in most matters. A love of natural beauty and solitude, and a fierce loyalty to her family.

The images begun to fuzz.

"*...careful. Don't overdo it.*" She says. Sarco hears this voice echoing in his own mind-oddly, it has no accent, but seems to be unique, from either her real voices-it might be what he imagines it would be.

"You can touch minds? Can you read them, too?"

Coney responds at the same time in reality-Sarco gets a bit of a headache from this doubling effect, but it's clear she has no trouble holding two conversations at once.

"She can look and see. Not read like a book. Surface thoughts...feelings. Going deeper is dangahrous. The whispa goes both ways. Only go fah till the mind-the unconscious mind-starts to fight back. Easy to get hurt, that way. Ya want someone to dive in yer mind, ya have to trust them totally. Totally. If ya think they'll lie to ya, then yer mind will make them see lies. Ya unnerstand? Othas in my village are better at it than me, 'course."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 16, 2015, 10:04:50 am »

Aldeth activates her own telepathy, sending a message towards the halfling. <I can do that too! Always so fun to meet another silent-talker!>

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 16, 2015, 10:14:50 am »

Aldeth activates her own telepathy, sending a message towards the halfling. <I can do that too! Always so fun to meet another silent-talker!>

Her facial expression doesn't change, but Coney flashes an interior smile. Aldeth feels much the same things Sarco did, though more naturally.

*"Ayuh! I spend alot of time away from my family. It gets lonely, just whispering to normals. They're so afraid to open their minds...it's good I'll have a sister, I can whisper to, at least.

...What are those other voices? They're bothering me. We can make them be quiet, if you want. Make a fort in our heads-two to keep out three. I assume you know the technique?"*
Of course, she could just dig for this information, but prefers to show telepathic politesse.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 16, 2015, 11:01:56 am »

((My post got eaten by ninjas! I swear!))

Tadhg brings out ten coins of his own and hands them to the guide, then walks over to his backpack and begins making himself ready to travel.

"...Yes, it would've been a shame to have to use the equipment we paid so much for..." He mutters half to himself, half as q response to Sarco's comment about the wintery above. "Guess there's still a chance for climbing down here... And when we get up..."

He finishes up and tells the others he's ready to go.

"This mind-whispering thing, though... It's not dangerous, is it?"
Love, scriver~

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 16, 2015, 11:16:59 am »

"This mind-whispering thing, though... It's not dangerous, is it?"

"...well, lemme try to put in ways ya' can unnerstand...

Just, like we are now, isn't harmful, right? But, ya can say things to hurt me. Or ya scream really loud. Those things might hurt only feelings. Inside, it can hurt for real. That's why I whisper. It's not different than talking, really-just have to be polite-don't enter someones home without permission, and remember not to shout indoors. If I wanted to hurt you that way, I'd really have to try. In some ways, you'd even have to want me to hurt you. It's called an empathic link-we share emotional states, and make words and thoughts through them. That helps soften the whole thing. It's only as dangerous to the one who's listening, as the one who's speaking. I'm not like to hurt myself, am I?

Now, there are ways to hurt for real-more like a knife to the brain, than just shouting harsh words-but I don't really know any of them. Yet."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 16, 2015, 11:22:12 am »

Aldeth's jaw drops and her eyes go wide. She had never heard of anything like this before. Not wanting T͚̻͕̜̩h͚̠e̬͔̪m͖̞ to hear, she drops her 'voice' to a conspiratorial 'whisper'.
<You can make them go away?>

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 16, 2015, 11:41:26 am »

Akira is looking about nervously. She really doesn't like these caves, not cramped enough for how dark they are. And nothing to trip over. It's not natural to not have to look out for stuff in the dark like you do on the surface.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 16, 2015, 11:43:03 am »

Coney considers a moment and answers. *"Go away? No. Have to find and make them stop for real, right?

But, you can make them be quiet and let you think. Yes.

See-you can whisper, it's like a door. You can get out...and, things can get in. My people, we're all whisperers. We know about the voices. We all built a mental wall, like we built a wall to keep monsters out-it's called the community mind. We defend each other. Rely on each other, when we're weak, so things can't prey on us. When I was very young, I was scared alot-of the voices, the things. But, my family and community protected me, until I was strong enough to look out for myself. And to help others-to make the wall stronger. A whole community is very strong, but even just two people can learn to form a wall.

...Weren't you taught these things as a child?"*
she asks, sending a tendril of emotion to Aldeth-undiluted pity.

Everyone else in the room might be a bit confused to see Sarco and Adleth essentially standing around and looking into space, not saying anything out loud.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 16, 2015, 11:47:53 am »

"I assume you are whispering mind-talk to each other."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 58