Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: useful or not, thats the question  (Read 1756 times)

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon Tamer (Beginner)
    • View Profile
useful or not, thats the question
« on: February 19, 2015, 11:41:03 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

is that thing worth anything as armor when all my dwarfs are clad in steel, or is it just another useless piece of legendary something^^

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: useful or not, thats the question
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 12:06:26 pm »

its better than nothing, but complete shit compared to steel.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 12:13:15 pm »

damn thought so as well, but i am not so into metals other than iron and steel exspecially when it comes to armor^^ havent used much else since i havent struck adamntium (well at least not without dying a horrible demon death of doom)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 05:22:44 pm »

IIRC it's lightweight compared to steel, so give it to archers or someone.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 05:26:13 pm »

since the last version i dont use archers anymore, they never took any bolts with them however i provided those i tried giving the squad the order to take every kind, only one kind only metal ones etc, kranked at the number of bolts a squad takes, designating training and war bolts etc. and yes all of them had quivers^^ oh and they didnt train at all^^ if that has changed i would make a archer squad and give the chief of that the armor^^ any input on buggy archers in df2014?^^

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 05:26:38 pm »

damn thought so as well, but i am not so into metals other than iron and steel exspecially when it comes to armor^^ havent used much else since i havent struck adamntium (well at least not without dying a horrible demon death of doom)
Well you cant use tin normally to make armor so you could use it as some novelty armor for something... maybe enlist your king in his own personal squad and give it to him if you're feeling generous.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:30:33 pm by Terff »
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 05:51:37 pm »

since the last version i dont use archers anymore, they never took any bolts with them however i provided those i tried giving the squad the order to take every kind, only one kind only metal ones etc, kranked at the number of bolts a squad takes, designating training and war bolts etc. and yes all of them had quivers^^ oh and they didnt train at all^^ if that has changed i would make a archer squad and give the chief of that the armor^^ any input on buggy archers in df2014?^^

Marksdwarves work fine for me, with a few caveats, which are 1- they won't train while on-duty unless they have both an archery range and a barracks, 2- they won't switch between training bolts and combat bolts, so you need to designate all of your bolts for both training and combat or else they'll end up having the wrong sort for their current situation and either won't train or won't shoot at the enemies, and 3- if they have a path to the enemy, they will frequently rush in bash with their crossbows (taking one or 2 shots before they get there) instead of hanging back and shooting.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 06:02:34 pm »

You could give it to one of your civilians you want to protect, I guess.

But not really.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 06:06:41 pm »

Try making marksdwarves hunters too. They'll practice while replenishing food stocks.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 07:20:43 pm »

Hunting (along with mining and woodcutting) is one of the labors that is buggy if assigned to off-duty military (because those labors use the uniform system behind the scenes). But experienced hunters make excellent candidates for recruiting into a marksdwarf squad.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 07:39:29 pm »

Hunting (along with mining and woodcutting) is one of the labors that is buggy if assigned to off-duty military (because those labors use the uniform system behind the scenes). But experienced hunters make excellent candidates for recruiting into a marksdwarf squad.
can confirm for buggy

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 10:38:23 pm »

I'd personally use it just for the cool factor.  When your whole squadron is already decked out with full steel, there's really nothing much to be afraid of anymore (apart from obvious spoilers)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 11:12:32 pm »

Give it to the captain of guard (who probably also wears a lead helm and wields an adamantine war hammer).
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 03:54:41 am »

can confirm the thing with woodcutter and miners beeing buggy while off duty. i had to make another 20 copper picks cause my main fighting force uses stell picks while beeing legendary miners (oh the pain^^) and i dont hunt at my current fort, i have more than enough food, and my fisher haul in way more than i could use^^ pared with my newly build greenhouse (atm supporting 120 tiles of farm plots) i swim in booze and lavish meals^^ perhaps in the future when i build my dwarfs an aboveground gatehouse and a second fast exit for building something outside i start hunting, but until than, no marksdwarfs^^

EDIT: up to the second round of usefulness^^
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
the question is, is gold at all usefull for weapons, and since i really dont know if alloys and combination metals are usefull at all other than to sell em^^

EDIT 2: oh and btw, i was looking to studd some of my furniture with pig iron (since a dwarf likes it, and i cant make anything from it, escept making it into steel) so i thought about studding a cabinet or two at a metalsmith forge, but i seriously cant find any "stud shit with metal" order^^ has that been removed or do i need something else than a metalcrafter enabled and a forge for that? found it, no studding with pig iron <.<
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:26:11 am by AzTech2064 »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 08:10:05 am »

the question is, is gold at all usefull for weapons, and since i really dont know if alloys and combination metals are usefull at all other than to sell em^^
Only for blunt weapons, e.g. your war hammer. Heavy is good.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2