Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 100% head strike... must fix...  (Read 4789 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: 100% head strike... must fix...
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 10:44:24 am »

It doesn't sound like a bug to me. If a monster is trying to kill you, and you knock it unconscious, why wouldn't you start punching/kicking/stabbing it in the head?
It's not that you wouldn't start with the head it's that after the thousandth time your fist impotently bounces off it's skull you should probably move onto another area such as the throat.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 10:47:46 am »

Can I ask why miners weren't called in?

Because I want to play a no-pick game. :P

Well now things are becoming interesting. The 5 dorfs are still fighting the giant leopard. The other 2 dorfs are doing their jobs while feeding their comrades.

Lor "Stillmachine", the militia commander completed her quiver, fetched some wooden bolts and began to shoot the leopard. But the bolts didn't do much more damage than fists. So the leopard still refused to die.

Meanwhile, Kogan "Wirecrater" were making a ballista. Since Lor had been disabled, he became the only worker. I disabled his healthcare jobs and let him finish the ballista...

Id "Rockslabored" became a legendary observer while fighting the leopard.

I removed Lor form duty. And she ran away, refused to do any job near the leopard.

Kogan built the ballista next to the leopard.

The ballista missed. HOW WAS IT POSSIBLE!!

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:49:46 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 10:50:19 am »

Can I ask why miners weren't called in?

Because I want to play a no-pick game. :P

Well now things are becoming interesting. The 5 dorfs are still fighting the giant leopard. The other 2 dorfs are doing their jobs while feeding their comrades.

Lor "Stillmachine", the militia commander completed her quiver, fetched some wooden bolts and began to shoot the leopard. But the bolts didn't do much more damage than fists. So the leopard still refused to die.

Meanwhile, Kogan "Wirecrater" were making a ballista. Since Lor had been disabled, he became the only worker. I disabled his healthcare jobs and let him finish the ballista...

Id "Rockslabored" became a legendary observer while fighting the leopard.

I removed Lor form duty. And she ran away, refused to do any job near the leopard.

Kogan built the ballista next to the leopard.

The ballista missed. HOW WAS IT POSSIBLE!!

How do you view multiple z's at once?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 10:51:35 am »

How do you view multiple z's at once?
dfhack + twbt
I'm use the lazy newbie pack.

Kogan went to bed after firing the first ballista arrow.

Now Lor is making more ballista arrows...
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 10:54:10 am »

dfhack + twbt
I'm use the lazy newbie pack.

Thanks, I assumed it was dfhack but I never knew about that plugin.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 11:00:00 am »

Lor decided to have a break. So I reactived her duty, let her fire more bolts to soften the leopard a bit.

Kogan woke up and loaded another ballista arrow. He missed again.

Well now I have feeling ballista can't hit a prone target.

:o

Good news:
The giant leopard began to faint. So I let Lor feed it more bolts.

Finally, the giant leopard gave in to the bolts and bled to death.
The five drowsy dorfs rushed to their beds.
Lor stood by the corpse of the giant leopard.

She didn't feel anything.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:22:10 am by utunnels »

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 11:54:55 am »

This is a great story! After reading all of it, it almost seems more like a feature than a bug  ???.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 01:44:08 pm »

It doesn't sound like a bug to me. If a monster is trying to kill you, and you knock it unconscious, why wouldn't you start punching/kicking/stabbing it in the head?

When you finally realize you ain't going to harm his skull with your punches ?

Dwarves should really be equipped with small knives.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 01:59:16 pm »

When you finally realize you ain't going to harm his skull with your punches ?

Dwarves should really be equipped with small knives.

It would be nice to see carving/slicing/boning knives treated as articles of clothing. 

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 03:09:58 pm »

However, I see my miners were generally NOT using their picks on wildlife which makes me sad. Is it the implementation of different levels of combat lethality that is implemented in fort mode ?
I've had the same issue, though its not very reliable, sometimes they use them.  Most of the time, seemingly more often if the miner was present at the start of it, they will join the dwarfpile, punching like everyone else.  But a reasonable amount of the time, they will wander past a preexisting dwarfpile and end it with a single attack.  I don't think I've seen a miner open a fight with pick strikes when the fight starts with him, but I haven't seen enough fights to be certain.  I should do some experiments with releasing troglodytes and elk birds on various assortments of civilians, like miners and woodcutters...

I think I may have noticed my military pick dwarves (new strategy of mine that I like, 3-4 miners with proficient teacher and adequate dodger/armor user/whatever, draft them when they hit legendary and I have migrants to replace them, use them as combat instructors and elite troops) using wrestling attacks and shield bash more often than their comrades with traditional weapons, but I haven't looked closely enough at it to be sure.

AzTech2064

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon Tamer (Beginner)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 03:21:01 pm »

i have 2/3 of my militia equipped with steel pickes because mining is used for picks like axedwarf for axes in terms of hitting and such. needless to say that those 20 dwarfes are all legendary miners^^ but be aware that you should forge the same amount of copper or such picks for working, if they have equipped the steel picks for the first time or grow attached to it, they wont use them for mining... well they whack through goblins like crazy^^

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 03:22:26 pm »

I've noticed everyone shield bashing more: it's because they can't twist embedded weapons anymore, so they bash or punch instead. Spear- and Pickdwarves seem to be most affected because their weapons tend to get stuck a lot.

Also the solution to OP's problem is to rush into a full fort military. Just make a bunch of wooden crossbows at the get go along wih wooden bolts and assign everyone to squads with no uniform but the crosbow set over clothing. Easily done before the first month is over. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 03:25:44 pm by Skullsploder »
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 08:37:48 pm »

I've strangled (almost wrote strangelded, which I think I've also done) dragons and rocs with adventurers, though it generally takes a while.

Honestly dorfs should probably default to strangle on prone targets if a couple headshots don't collapse the skull.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2015, 02:03:44 pm »

Basically if you will have hostile animals near your wagon you will need to have at least one dwarf with a weapon (a woodcutter or miner will work fine) unless you want to run the risk of the entire fort dead of dehydration after beating on some hapless animal's head for a few months...

Alligators in rivers have "passively" killed several of my forts this way.

So long as my miner or woodcutter has their tool in hand before the alligator gets on shore all will end well (mostly...), but if the alligator (or other animal like that) gets there first the fort is doomed.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2015, 02:40:37 pm »

Instead of messing about with a ballista and poorly trained crew, build a training spear or axe or sword.
Pages: 1 [2] 3