Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 100% head strike... must fix...  (Read 4778 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
100% head strike... must fix...
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:13:40 am »

My new fort is dying because the dorfs refuse to stop trying to break through the skull of a giant leopard gecko.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Re: 100% head strike... must fix...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 07:24:39 am »

Don't you have axes/picks?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 07:30:14 am »

No. I started with 7 peasants.
I guess it is a bug that an unconscious target always receives head strike?

Next time I will try making some wood crossbows
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:31:50 am »

They'll kill it in time, I think.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 07:35:13 am »

They'll kill it in time, I think.
Well the lizard is healing faster than they can hurt it.
Now it only got a bruised head, all other body wounds are healed.

Problem is, once the target falls unconscious, the dorfs will always strike its head.

It is strange. Sometimes dorfs can kill blind cave ogres by punching through their brains. Maybe with high striker skill.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 07:37:05 am by utunnels »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 07:51:58 am »

Are you sure those dead cave ogres didn't fall to weapon strikes or bled to death? It's practically impossible to do brain damage by punching the head of anything bear-sized and above.

I do hope that at some point there'll be a sort of combat A.I. update so that attackers maybe evaluate effect of previous strikes and _don't_ insist on trying the one thing that completely fails to work. (Removing the stupid fixation on headshots would also help - fists aren't assault rifles.)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 08:08:28 am »

I'm sure. I've seen that more than one times.

I reloaded the save. Time time I got 15 dorfs. They killed some buzzards and other random animals until another gecko appeared.
About 10 dorfs rushed to fight the gecko and wounded it badly, until the gecko fell unconscious and became invincible, again.

*face palm*

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:11:19 am by utunnels »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 08:14:11 am »

Theyre massaging it back to health.  Im not sure why not biting or scratching :/

Scratching is brutally effective in DF, especially if the targeted bp is smaller.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 08:47:01 am »

A giant leopard gecko and a great westler in arena mode:

The wrestler wounds the gecko, knocks it out.
The gecko becomes invincible.
The wrestler keeps punching the gecko in the head, but the gecko is recovering.
The wrestler becomes over-exerted and falls.
The gecko regains consciousness and counter-attacks, and thus becomes vulnerable again.
The wrestler comes to and kills the gecko.

So, in fortress mode, the gecko just didn't have a chance to regain consciousness.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 08:53:38 am »

No, it's a coup-de-grace thing... It's supposed to do that.
But now that things actually have thick skulls head shots don't always kill anymore, at least not without a weapon of some kind.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 08:56:56 am »

No, it's a coup-de-grace thing... It's supposed to do that.
But now that things actually have thick skulls head shots don't always kill anymore, at least not without a weapon of some kind.
Well it makes wrestlers somehow useless. Aren't they supposed to strangle the target?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 09:20:33 am »

I must say, dwarves feeling vengeful live training on wildlife on their own is one of DF2014's greatest features.

Well at least against the less dangerous beasts. In my latest fort there have been countless fights of multiple civilians against giant toads, giant olms and the like.

And it's not generally dangerous unless the dwarf is alone. The dwarves dogpile on the beasts, making the beasts less prone to win and the dwarves get useful Fighter/Dodger/Wrestler experience. Also they have karate classes and biting which is the greatest weapon skill ever, but that's another discussion.

It's nearly worth it putting some leather/bone armor on your civilians. Metal I'm not sure though.

However, I see my miners were generally NOT using their picks on wildlife which makes me sad. Is it the implementation of different levels of combat lethality that is implemented in fort mode ?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 10:07:27 am »

I abandoned the fort and started a new one.

Before I could finished the roof, a giant leopard (no gecko) climbed in. 5 dorfs felt vengeful and fought the giant leopard. The leopard was knocked out and became invincible.

The other two didn't seem to care. They even gave water to the 5 vengeful dorfs.

I told them to make a crossbow and some bolts. I then realized they didn't have a quiver. So I slaughter the horses and tanned their hides...

If one of them manages to kill the giant leopard I will make leopard leather and bone equipments for him. ::)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 10:11:00 am »

I abandoned the fort and started a new one.

Before I could finished the roof, a giant leopard (no gecko) climbed in. 5 dorfs felt vengeful and fought the giant leopard. The leopard was knocked out and became invincible.

The other two didn't seem to care. They even gave water to the 5 vengeful dorfs.

I told them to make a crossbow and some bolts. I then realized they didn't have a quiver. So I slaughter the horses and tanned their hides...

If one of them manages to kill the giant leopard I will make leopard leather and bone equipments for him. ::)
Can I ask why miners weren't called in?

Also, I can imagine that you would make a suggestion to make dismemberment of unconscious critters a secondary attack, so as to aid with blood loss.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:12:35 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

iofhua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 10:40:43 am »

It doesn't sound like a bug to me. If a monster is trying to kill you, and you knock it unconscious, why wouldn't you start punching/kicking/stabbing it in the head?
Pages: [1] 2 3