Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Did something happen to GWG?  (Read 15663 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Did something happen to GWG?
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2015, 08:51:14 am »

As long as you aren't debating the definition of a civil war over dozens of page despite multiple warnings, you're probably fine in the eyes of Bay12 and humanity in general.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2015, 08:52:58 am »

All this talk about what we all thought about GWG made me wonder what people think about me O.o

I think I remember you from ER. Didn't you play STEPHEN HAWKING?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2015, 09:00:35 am »

All this talk about what we all thought about GWG made me wonder what people think about me O.o

Yup, that was me. And I REALLY need to officially retire him/turn him over to piecewise because I know damn well that I'm not gonna play it anymore (BFEL cannot the long-term games)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2015, 09:27:11 am »

Yup, that was me. And I REALLY need to officially retire him/turn him over to piecewise because I know damn well that I'm not gonna play it anymore (BFEL cannot the long-term games)

Aww, too bad, he was kinda funny. Maybe throw him out an airlock? That might be funny. Or retire him on the planet we are at now.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2015, 09:48:17 am »

Was hoping Piecewise would do something with him if I handed him over. What I WANT to happen is just have him be right behind the final boss. For the entire period until the players actually encounter said boss. Even when sleeping.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2015, 09:51:08 am »

Was hoping Piecewise would do something with him if I handed him over. What I WANT to happen is just have him be right behind the final boss. For the entire period until the players actually encounter said boss. Even when sleeping.
ER has the final boss? I thought it was just a Magical Tea Party all the way with failing will saves several times in a row causing hilarious side-effects.
._.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2015, 10:58:28 am »

Yeah, that's the one thing I don't like about Toady's moderating. People can sometimes get away with insulting others, or even their entire opposition as subhumans, literal terrorists, supporters of [insert blatantly immoral and/or criminal act here], etc. and not get banned, but the threads will be locked. In the last few months this has happened at least two or three times in large threads.

Edited for clarity.
While I can agree that it happens, the time I saw someone who acted like that with my own eyes was BurningPet, and while the thread got locked Burning was also instant-banned for flaming.  That was the Abrahamic Traditions discussion thread, and while that thread never rose again I created my all-religions thread sometime thereafter and we never really had a problem.  I think Toady locks them because it takes two to argue, and usually after somebody says something incredibly flammable the entire thread goes up in flames.  Although I get the impression that maybe smeep acted like that as well, she has been banned too.

About GWG: I never got the idea that he was being malicious, although granted I didn't have much time to interact with him before his banning.  He did always strike me as somewhat... haughty, I guess?  But he never really came across as "intentionally causing problems" and more as "trying to be honest and forthright in the wrong way".  In the cases of arguing about the rules, he was trying to change what he honestly believed were mistakes/imbalances in the game, but went about it in such an insistent, obnoxious way that the GM got fed up.  Speaking of which, given that particular trait, mild autism spectrum may have been present, because some of the people I know who fall on the autism spectrum act that way.  While I would say I haven't seen as many fights break out and Toady hasn't had to moderate quite as much with him gone, saying that "the forum is better without him" sounds dangerously close, at least to me, to "my life would be better without (x person with autism spectrum disorder)", so I'm not comfortable saying that the forum is a better place now.

It is telling that the person who started the petition to bring him back was banned a couple of months afterwards, although for something unrelated.  It seems to me that there are three types of people who get banned: spambots and obvious trolls, people who you can see it coming from a long way off, and people who sass Toady via email or something after a mute.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2015, 11:36:55 am »

GWG actually was autistic. Back in the days before he started going crazy with the arguments he use to have a thing in his sig to let people know and asked people to tell him to shut up if he took things too seriously.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2015, 12:14:15 pm »

I miss Burningpet. :<
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2015, 12:33:25 pm »

Nah, ER went all Hunger Games and now has actual stuff going on.
Teal's dead in the water too. There was too many players crampin' up all the threads so I was like 'If I can't be a special snowflake I don't know why I'm playin'.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2015, 12:37:53 pm »

Nah, ER went all Hunger Games and now has actual stuff going on.
Teal's dead in the water too. There was too many players crampin' up all the threads so I was like 'If I can't be a special snowflake I don't know why I'm playin'.

You totally can, you just have to work at it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2015, 12:43:43 pm »

Ah, I was being facetious. M'bad.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2015, 03:05:39 pm »

GWG actually was autistic. Back in the days before he started going crazy with the arguments he use to have a thing in his sig to let people know

I wasn't aware of that. That would explain a lot.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2015, 03:09:55 pm »

I miss Burningpet. :<

Burningpet was great so long as there wasn't a thread mentioning Islam.
There were a few things otherwise that could set him off, but I'm not going to expand. I don't think anyone would appreciate me digging up old flames.
You... that three-layer pun, I need to slap myself now. Did you intend that?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2015, 03:12:16 pm »

Eh, Burningpet was the only person I've ever blocked. possibly cause I only ever encountered him in general discussion, usually in the middle of a heated argument.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9