Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Did something happen to GWG?  (Read 15707 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Did something happen to GWG?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2015, 11:21:36 pm »

Of the four people I've known well enough on the ban list to pass judgement on, I can't say I didn't see them coming.  GWG, IG, Gnorm, and smeep all gave off the kind of vibes that set everyone on edge.  smeep and Gnorm in particular tended to be fairly... the only word I can use is vitriolic when it came to their views, while GWG got into a lot of arguments about silly things and IG... idk, I just saw that ban coming.

Bohandas, aren't you the person who called in the nexus guy a while back? NEVERMIND LOLZ THAT WAS KINGKRAVOKA.  Still, I get the impression from your posts that you either have a beef with the forum as a whole or with Toady in particular.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:24:08 pm by 4maskwolf »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2015, 11:23:55 pm »

No, that was King Kravoka
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 11:24:20 pm »

No, that was King Kravoka
Yeah, I was editing that in when you posted lolz.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 11:27:47 pm »

... for some reason I thought he was called King Granola.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 11:28:48 pm »

Shh. Speak not of the... incident.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 02:42:28 am »

I'd be curious to know how much less moderation the forum required after GWG's ban. Over my lifetime here on bay12, a couple of my threads have been locked, one outright deleted, and I once received a formal warning.

Every single one of those incidents involved GWG.

I personally tend to prefer a hands off approach to moderation, but I have to admit that ever since he's been gone, my experience on bay12 has been a lot more mellow. He had a talent for getting under my skin, and I occasionally suspected that he was the one reporting my threads after coming in and annoying people. As in, he'd come to one of my threads to create trouble, and then once he'd succeeded in causing it he'd report me and anyone else reacting to him. I have no access to moderation logs, but I kind of think that might have been what he was doing.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 05:57:56 am »

I've gotten the impression that people tend to be banned for very little; effectively nothing in fact.

That is... let's just say very, very wrong. Literally every person that got banned and was not an outright troll, since '14 onward at least because those I remember, had it coming. And were doing it repeatedly, generally. Most of them just... couldn't let go of their pet peeve and as such would be a harbinger of arguments and threadlocks as soon as the issue got mentioned.

If you think it's for nothing, then probably because Toady moderates threads in a way that leaves no trace, outside of his post if it's larger, of it occurring so that it doesn't kindle a next argument.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 08:11:32 am »

As someone who never saw GWG's disruptive side (I actually attempted to MODEL my own posts on the forum after his example) I can certainly understand how it SEEMS random.
But, as many intelligent and awesome members of the forum will concur, he DID have that side. I personally never saw it, but I also have a hard time imagining that literally EVERYONE on the forum would be slandering him.

Beyond that, I can also tell you my own experience with moderation, as I have clashed with the Toad two or three....or five....times. And each time he PM'd me an explanation. I might not have always agreed, but he certainly wasn't doing it randomly, and I understand why he saw my past behavior as problematic and not conducive to the environment he tries to cultivate here.

So while I personally was rather upset when I first learned of GWG's ban, much as you are (I was contemplating leaving the forum, Tiruin helped talk me out of it) I can say that I have since come to realize that yes, it sucks, but it was a necessary thing.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 08:29:35 am »

To be honest, I think a lot of the bans are arbitrary / weighted towards newer B12Gers. I've been a lurker for awhile and I had an account which I cannot remember the username or password of from years back.

I've seen older B12Gers post shit like links to their paedophilic erotica, generally stupid content and flamebait and nothing has happened to them.

EDIT: And the reason VN wasn't shut down wasn't because it was stupid (which it was, but instead of keeping the stupid there it just spilled onto the other boards) but because of one woman who took the time to just constantly post shota (Japanese young boy hentai) there constantly. Toady's choice was to close the board and ban her or to get v& by the FBI, which I think is fair enough.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:36:43 am by Rex Invictus »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 08:47:08 am »

one outright deleted
I always assumed you called that orbital strike in yourself. Was that The Toad himself deciding it wasn't worth the effort?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2015, 08:56:41 am »

I've seen older B12Gers post shit like links to their paedophilic erotica, generally stupid content and flamebait and nothing has happened to them.
[citation needed]

And newer members getting banned more often is just correlation, not causation. People who do banworthy stuff don't last long enough to become established members of a community.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 08:58:50 am by Darvi »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2015, 09:03:55 am »

[citation needed]

And newer members getting banned more often is just correlation, not causation. People who do banworthy stuff don't last long enough to become established members of a community.
+1

But if some people are unhappy with this forum, they can always go to that pony forum where all pony-discussion went.
._.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2015, 09:20:58 am »

[citation needed]

If I could find it, I would, but I'm not going through 700+ pages of posts to find it. Let's just say he's one of the oldest and most prolific posters on these forums.

There was also the troll that pretended they were homeless with a child in the UK despite having access to internet. I think that was back in 2012. Don't know if they got banned.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 09:32:19 am »

EDIT: And the reason VN wasn't shut down wasn't because it was stupid (which it was, but instead of keeping the stupid there it just spilled onto the other boards) but because of one woman who took the time to just constantly post shota (Japanese young boy hentai) there constantly. Toady's choice was to close the board and ban her or to get v& by the FBI, which I think is fair enough.

Uh, no? I mean I assume she got banned and her posts deleted. I don't remember this person (I stayed away from the hentai on VN) but the FBI didn't say "To make sure this never happens again this needs to be split up into more specific sub-forums." Toady changed VN because it consistently had tons of shitty posts over a long period and was spreading to other parts of the forum.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2015, 09:33:33 am »

GWG got into absurdly heated and lengthy arguments over all sorts of minor things, and ignored warnings not to do it again.  I think in general Toady's approach makes sense, you get banned if you're clearly not responding to warnings and mutes.
Not really, Toady said at some point that he generally didn't like the idea of having a chaotic /b/ style subforum since it reflected badly on him.  Also it was a moderation nightmare that leaked out into other places quite frequently.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9