Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farm blueprint  (Read 800 times)

Thorisil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Farm blueprint
« on: February 18, 2015, 02:24:07 pm »

Hello guys, first post here. Whoop!

Given that I'm a noob at DF (noob as in really noob), I wanted to do some planning before telling my dwarves to dig. My current problem is creating a farm with two special features:
   1. A means for my dwarf to clean themselves from the mud of the farm while coming into the main part of my fortress
   2. A way to irrigate my croops when needed.

I did my planning and the result is in the spoiler. This is what should happen:
   1. Water at 2-3/7 should constantly go from the sx part of the picture to the dx, intersecting the path of my dwarves.
   2. The water will clean my dwarves and any mud will be sent by the flood to the title with no floor, from that to the ramp at -2, from the ramp to the -3 level, to the fortification at the end of the map.

1. If the Floodgate is activated, water will flood the -2 and -3 level.
   2. When the Floodgate is deactivated, the water will follow gravity and go dx into the down ramp, from then to the -3 level, from then to the fortification at the end of the map.

Now, those are the questions:
   1. Will it work like I said?
   2. How do I take moving water from a river at 7/7 and obtain an artificial flow of 3/7 water, possibly without making a swimming pool out of my fortress?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit: I noticed that the color in the spoiler is terrible for the eyes: copy and paste on Bloc Notes should solve the problem. It also make the graphic more understandable.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:53:15 pm by Thorisil »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Farm blueprint
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 02:45:43 pm »

You do know that you dont need to reirregate farms, right?  And even then, you only need to irregate the first time ONLY if it's rock.  And mud doesnt spread unless you have "walking spreads splatter" on (and you shouldnt).  A couple of dwarves with buckets can make mud without having to tap the river.

Thorisil

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:57:27 pm »

...oh?
Well, now I know!  :D

rjs71053

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 05:37:39 pm »

I will add, however, that your plan is pretty well thought out, and if you had fun making it, you should have fun with most of the game! Hope you enjoy it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 04:03:35 pm »

Irrigating regularly farms is realistic and good roleplay, though.

Hell, farming on bare rock is unrealistic enough even with irrigation. Unless your river is the freaking Nile and brings silt on rock, and even so.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 10:28:06 am »

Irrigating farms regularly was only a thing you had to do in version 0.23 and earlier, which was released over 8 years ago - back then, you could only make farm plots on muddy stone (there was no soil), and mud dried up during the winter (during which you couldn't farm at all).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.