Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't create a zone to get a clay  (Read 1642 times)

ddd356

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Can't create a zone to get a clay
« on: February 18, 2015, 02:19:31 am »

Can't create a zone to get a clay. I try to start ceramic industry, but wherever I create a zone, it always show me a "0" (zero) near a clay. Of course I created zones above clay floor (silty clay floor).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't create a zone to get a clay
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 02:47:00 am »

It should be sufficient to set the zone on a single clear (i.e. nothing growing on it) clay tile. I've had the situation where a sand tile got overgrown in between me designating the building of a floor grate to keep growth out and the actual construction, resulting in an unusable overgrown source tile with a grate.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 05:03:14 am »

The easiest way to have a working collection zone is to specify it over a _wall_ of the material (as the "source") and an adjacent floor tile (as a place for the collector to stand on). Walls never grow over, so as long as you remember not to mine the wall away, you have an eternal maintenance-free material source.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 05:19:26 am »

Try expanding the activity zone larger, eventually you should end up with a workable patch of clay.

ddd356

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 07:08:48 am »

Thank you for answers, but nothing helps. If somebody wants to help me and my dwarfs, you can download my fortress from here

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 07:20:34 am »

Thank you for answers, but nothing helps. If somebody wants to help me and my dwarfs, you can download my fortress from here
Well I only saw silty clay loam.
They are not silty clay.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

ddd356

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 07:34:35 am »

Well I only saw silty clay loam.
They are not silty clay.
Thank you! There are really no silty clay  :(, but there are many cherry and persimmon trees :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 07:38:38 am by ddd356 »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 08:20:57 am »

Next time you can check the embark screen, it will tell whether your site has clay or sand.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 09:05:35 am »

Next time you can check the embark screen, it will tell whether your site has clay or sand.
Clay: yes, natively. Sand: only if you use dfhack and either (1) enable embark-tools sand or (2) prospect all on the map screen.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17