Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Outpost - Exile [Interest check]  (Read 11975 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost - Exile
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2015, 04:37:00 pm »

we definitely need morale mitigation. So to that end I'm suggesting we cycle all awake crew with anyone still cryo'd and give them a bit of a vacation. Also for research, I was wanting to do something we weren't able to due during the build phase, namely a GEN IV fission reactor(if only for purposes of having more options on power; our fusion reactor won't last forever without a source of HE-3)

...that is, unless there are already designs for production versions of a pebble bed or molten salt reactor of some description(future, after all :P)

DALES orders: Research(current attempts at morale haven't been all that good)
Research:If plans for a production GEN IV reactor don't already exist, then this. If they do, assist on a VR CAD
Other Orders:VR CAD and increase crew cycling to mitigate low morale
Maintenance Orders:Yeah, let's get rid of that penalty. Use the .1 basic supplies.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2015, 04:38:46 pm »

The ship does have cameras, it is done off camera or when they are 'down', you can further investigate the graffiti and clean it up more thoroughly if you want.  Basic cleanup and covering of the defacement has already been done.  In some cases just moving crates in front of it.  ;)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2015, 04:47:23 pm »

Sorry if it was not clear, DALES is an experimental system, it is only working on one task at a time right now in an effective manner (so far research).  You have not used it for maintenance or moral yet.  Starting skill is 1d6*5%, research started at +15 and has improved to +20.

Each time DALES works on something I roll a dice for it to learn and get better.  It can improve to +30 to a dedicated task(like the optronic central computer) but can also gain access to passive bonus (like +5 to all research even if it is doing something else) when it learns.  And possibly other bonuses as well if you get some kind of critical success.

There is also a bonus to critical failures, fortunately you haven't gotten one of those yet.  :D

Edit: Also you have plans for pebble bed fission reactors, thanks to DALES, they will need to be modified based local conditions and fuel types but that wouldn't even be prototyping, just a more difficult building project.  The thing you wanted to research during the build phase was a design that would fit on a space ship for transport and could be built out quickly, which would have needed a research roll.

Miniaturizing a fission plant and transporting it safely is a whole other level of difficulty compared to just making it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:55:07 pm by VoidSlayer »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2015, 04:50:07 pm »

Hmm, so it COULD learn what makes for good entertainment then? Heh, I'm now not sure on what to have DALES do...
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2015, 04:55:06 pm »

Research on Dales improvement. Surely a self improving AI will not go wrong.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2015, 05:01:59 pm »

Sure, up until we get "I can't let you do that, Dave" :P

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2015, 10:05:05 pm »

Sure, up until we get "I can't let you do that, Dave" :P

Good news!  Not yet!

Turn 4 2092 - 2097

DALES orders:
Research(current attempts at morale haven't been all that good)
Research: Improve DALES system
Other Orders:VR CAD and increase crew cycling to mitigate low morale
Maintenance Orders:Yeah, let's get rid of that penalty. Use the .1 basic supplies.

Maintenance 0 (27)
Moral Penalty Mitigation Attempt 0 (40) Fail
Moral -8 (80-8=72) Success
Research +30 (1+30=31) Critical Failure (88+31+10=121) Normal Failure
VRCAD +25 (14+25=39) Failure

The turnover period for the new shift crew is accelerated and contact with the existing shift is kept at a minimum with the DALES system taking over updates on the current condition.  This seems to create as many worries as it tried to assuage; however, the next shift is rather optimistic thanks to the message from the Ark ship.  A quick investigation does not show who stole the supplies, the videos indicate that any of the crew members could have been responsible based on movements.  The drawings are covered up or scratched out and the crew gets on with a professional demeanor.  Graffiti penalty removed.

The repairs are conducted quickly.  Far too quickly.  Many of the parts do not hold up after being rebuild in the cramped conditions and start breaking down almost as fast as they had before. -3 ongoing maintenance penalty.

The DALES system is put through a series of extensive behavioral tests while 3 crew members look over the data and programing structure of the expert systems.  Several safety protocols are found which prevent parts of the expert systems from being altered, which it is theorized is slowing down the adaptation.  A test removal of them from a logic circuit results in a complete system crash right before every system on the ship goes haywire.  Fortunately the entire thing is done in a virtual environment with DALES disconnected from the real ship systems at the time, but the rest of the shift is spent understanding exactly what happened.  No progress.

Unknown to anyone, DALES learns from the simulations of a catastrophic failure of the ship systems and makes further changes to it's emergency response system.  Critical failure bonus increased to +15.

Work on the VRCAD program stalls, the realistic physics simulation is simply too much for a small number of people to handle.  Some progress is made on a very basic version of the simulation, but without testing it seems a long way from finished.  +5 to VRCAD research (+30 total)

With the last and final shift awakened a joint session headed by Dr. Valentes has begun reviewing the data collected so far by the detection array system.  Long term observation from a closer and closer point of view have given a more complete view of the Kaptyen system.

Kaptyen a - Main Sequencer Red Dwarf
This dark red star is actually slightly more massive and hotter then expected, the low mass allows an internal structure closer to that of Jupiter's atmosphere then Sol's.  Large 'storms' lower parts of the surface luminosity, particularly on the plane facing Sol, which may be responsible for the flare star characteristics observed.  The habitable zone is slightly further then expected, .125 AU - .315 AU, however depending on the current flare characteristics can be lowered by as much as 40%.  The patterns observed so far have not been predictable.  The star is slightly younger then once thought, possibly 8 billion years old.  There are 3 gas giants and two rocky planets along with a hot dust ring.  Comets have not been ruled out but no large ring has been detected.

.1-.7 AU Kaptyen b - Hot Dust Ring
This ring is thought to be the remains of a dwarf planet or moons stolen from Kaptyen c that crashed into each other or were torn apart by tidal forces from the star.  Spectral analysis indicates heavy metals and rare earth elements, but the presence of water is impossible at this distance to the star.

.148-.152 AU Kaptyen c - Rocky Super Earth
This unusually massive planet has a mass around 3 times Earth's and a radius about 40% larger with an estimated gravity near 1.6g.  The planet rotates very slowly, around 176 days but orbits it's star in less then 48 days.  Effective days and nights will be 24 days long with extreme temperature differences and constant rain and storms at the point in between.  While there is ample water estimated at 40% of the surface, the atmosphere is thick at about 4.6 atm and composed primarily of nitrogen, carbon dioxide and methane.  No moons were found.

.29-.31AU Kaptyen d - Gas Giant
This rather standard blue-green gas giant is similar to a small Neptune and at the outer edge of the star's habitable zone.  It has at least 2 small moons, however a large, earth sized moon is the most interesting body.  Details are hard to find due to the presence of the main planet, but a nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere, low gravity, around .9g, and the presence of ice are confirmed.  Kaptyen d takes 125 days to orbit the star.

.4 AU - Kaptyen e - Gas Giant
This slightly larger orange gas giant has a large ring system and one confirmed large moon the size of a dwarf planet.  The planet has a rather extreme inclination but the moon has no detectable atmosphere but lots of ice.  Kaptyen e is in almost a perfectly circular orbit and takes 240 days.

1.8-2.1 AU Kaptyen f - Gas Giant
The slightly smaller twin to Kaptryen e, well outside the habitable zone.  No ring system but at least 6 moons, one of them a dwarf 'dirty iceball' and an Earth sized moon.  The large moon somehow has a trace Nitrogen oxygen atmosphere and is covered in ice.  Kaptyen f takes 312 days to orbit the star.

8.7-10.4 AU Kaptyen g - Icy Earth
This world is slightly larger then Earth but with approximately the same mass and an estimated .7g surface gravity.  A trace nitrogen/carbon dioxide atmosphere , Icy crust and a small, also icy moon.  Liquid ammonia and carbon dioxide detected on the surface indicates the planet is not as cold as it should be, likely due to vulcanism.  The planet has a 3 day rotation and 1245 day orbit.

With three more years left for observations more data will be collected on the system.

Maintenance -3
Moral 0

Flight phase Turn 5 Final 2097- Dec 2099

Keep leader awake?

DALES orders: Research/Maintenance/Moral/Other

Research orders:Super Heavy Bots +20 ; Specialized Heavy Bots +20; Small Bots +20 ; VRCAD +30; Other

Advanced Detection Array: Choose a target for more in-depth analysis.

Other Orders:

Name Planets/moons?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:28:42 pm by VoidSlayer »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2015, 10:40:42 pm »

This rather standard blue-green gas giant is similar to a small Neptune and at the outer edge of the star's habitable zone.  It has at least 2 small moons, however a large, earth sized moon is the most interesting body.  Details are hard to find due to the presence of the main planet, but a nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere, low gravity, around .9g, and the presence of ice are confirmed.  Kaptyen d takes 125 days to orbit the star.

This. This is our destination. What most people don't realize is the most common reason for a long lasting atmosphere with detectable free oxygen is that the planet has some kind of plant life. It's one of the main criteria scientists look for when examining planets since that would be the most promising indicator of existing life.

As for orders to get us there:

Keep leader awake? Y

DALES orders: Research

Research orders:VRCAD +30

Advanced Detection Array: Kapyten d, specifically that highly interesting moon.

Other Orders:Increase maintenance cycles(using.1 basic parts) to keep this thing together for just a bit longer

As for planet names, I have an idea of naming the Gas Giant Aerith, and the moon Bob :P(figure out that ref!)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:44:27 pm by tryrar »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2015, 10:43:41 pm »

That looks good to me. That moon in particular looks good...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2015, 01:06:07 am »

This. This is our destination. What most people don't realize is the most common reason for a long lasting atmosphere with detectable free oxygen is that the planet has some kind of plant life. It's one of the main criteria scientists look for when examining planets since that would be the most promising indicator of existing life.

Well, not nessecairily. It could just as easily be a result of radiation protolysis in a high rad field.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2015, 01:44:06 am »

Your cursed choice of the Advanced Detection Array has made my work more difficult!

Well here is a map of Kaptyen d's moon until I can finish.

The yellow area is the ocean, it is actually deep blue but I changed it so you could tell the difference.  The ice is lightly yellow but I can't be arsed to change it.

The blue and purple are... plant life?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2015, 11:54:29 am »

So the white is just mountains?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2015, 12:44:14 pm »

Ice actually, most of the white areas have pools or ice coverings of ammonia... the most of the entire planet is covered in some form of water ice.

Here is the relief map of the glacial covering/Ice.  The white areas are at least 5000 meters above the green areas.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2015, 05:07:18 am »

Flight phase Turn 5 Final 2097- Dec 2099

Leader:  Dr. Valentes

DALES orders:
Research

Research orders:VRCAD +30

Advanced Detection Array:
Kaptyen d II.

Other Orders: Preventative maintenance

Name Planets/moons? Aerith, Bob

Moral -0 (34)
Maintenance -3 (83-3=80)
Research +70 (70+70=140)

Everyone gets into the swing of repairing and maintaining the ship despite Dr. Valentes best efforts to have them work on other projects.  Between bookmarked schematics, rebuilt systems and hand scrawled notes on the walls about reactor maintenance and wiring the crew is really getting the hang of jury rigging with limited resources.  Issue after issue noted by DALES is checked off, and even if the girders groan, the lighting buzzes and the hull makes funny noises sometimes, the ship seems good as new.  Or at least pre-owned. [Penalty eliminated without cost of basic parts.]

Work on the VR design project and simulator makes several breakthroughs under new leadership.  Rather then working on a  single system which 'works to simulate too much for too little benefit' the project is broken up into a number of different simulations running at different scales simultaneously.  The results still need some tweaking but the system works for well understood and existing systems, it even takes in data and gives a better explanation for the failure of the nuclear light-bulb experiment.  To actually produce a prototype item it will need to be paired with a manufacturing asset or have it built separately, but there will be no penalty. 

Additional work to make an upgraded server to allow more people to work on projects or a prototyping factory are planned out while proposals for expert system aided designing and advanced simulated prototype testing are looked over. [VRCAD completed, can do prototype design at no penalty without access to manufacturing assets.  With any manufacturing asset gets a +10 bonus. 
A Large scale VRCAD server (more people working at the same time) project added.  Prototyping factory project added (3d printer and robotic systems similar to but much smaller then My first factory).  Research project, Expert system aided prototyping +20.  Research project, virtual prototype testing +20.]

Unfortunately, as the VR systems are being tested and used for both recreation and some test design projects no one realizes that much of the simulations are being processed on the DALES mainframe, along with the ship monitoring systems, reactor controls, research deck, cryogenic controls, bio dome monitoring, ongoing analysis of the security camera footage, maintenance reviews and piping smooth jazz throughout the ship.  Then suddenly one day, DALES stops responding entirely and the VR systems are totally down.  A quick panicky look over the critical ship systems confirms that everything is operating normally, but none of the automated controls that the crew had come to rely on are there, the VRCAD simulations just don't run, the VR entertainment is slow and it takes 5 people just to keep the constant warning messages from the various systems in check.

Dr. Valentes begins looking over what happened, but there is no word from her besides 'deal with it, the computer is not coming back for a while'.  What were long days of boredom are now repetitively stressful as the hundreds of small adjustments and concerns that were taken care of automatically now need to be dealt with. [-3 moral, Critical Failure/Disaster on DALES learning, DALES offline, VRCAD and VR entertainment offline.]

I may as well start, Dr Valentes began, The system cutoff was engaged by DALES itself as far as I can tell.  It isolated itself from the main system without causing any damage, the VR systems that are offline now were being run through some kind of backdoor into it's operating system. 

Don't look at me I did not do anything!  The VR was suppose to run off a separate server we built.

I looked over the logs, she explained, and I do not know how so many systems became tied up in the DALES processor.  If over taxing are what caused the breakdown or some kind of inherent flaw, I designed the system to change and learn so it may have encountered some kind of sudden issue it could not deal with.  I can not even access the most basic functions, it seems to still be operating but we are locked out.  Looking inside multiple parts may be burnt out, but replacing pieces while the system runs has a whole host of other dangers.

It's the curse, we should never have taken this ship.  Your damn machine is taking us out now that we are so close.

Enough of that, it is just a machine that is failing, half this ship broke down at some point, as we expected.  We can rebuild.  Hell thats why we are out here.

Small comfort, whole damn ship falling apart.

That is not productive right now.  I have found that the damage does not actually extend outside DALES, so we can continue with the landing plan once we decide on a location.  It might be a little harder now, but we expected that.  People are counting on us.

Well with that in mind, I should go over the data we have been compiling.  It was all backed up in the sensor computers but the three of us and the computer analyzed it already.

That moon you called 'Bob' for now is toxic right?

Everywhere is toxic, or cold, or lacks oxygen or has too much damn gravity.  All these ice planets have metallic properties in the ice, so they are not a total loss, but it will still be difficult to find materials.

Orders Dec 2099

Destination Planet:

Disaster Response:  DALES is down or not responding and turns out half the VR systems were running on it.

A. Reconnect DALES to the ship (Learning roll/ success: find out what is wrong and how to fix it / Fail: Maintenance disaster)
                                 B. Set the VR entertainment system as priority on the existing server and wait
                                 C. Set the VRCAD system as priority on the existing server and wait
                                 D. Replace damaged parts and reboot DALES (-.2 advanced parts maintenance roll/ success: DALES system restored)
                                 E. Replaced damaged parts and wipe DALES memory (-.2 Advanced parts, DALES restored, All learning wiped and skills reset)

Other orders: Not possible, all crew engaged in running ship.

Planetary system to follow, the learning roll was a 9 and the critical failure roll was also a 9...

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2015, 05:18:45 am »

I gave details on most of the interesting planets, but if you see something that you like that I did not give details on (or is horribly, impossibly wrong) just ask.

Kaptyen a - Kaptyen's Star Main Sequencer Red Sub Dwarf

Kaptyen b - Hot Dust Ring

Kaptyen c - Rocky Super Earth

Kaptyen d - 'Aerith' - Blue-Green Gas Giant

Kaptyen d II - 'Bob' - Icy Earth