Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What's Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 6518 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: What's Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2015, 06:30:09 pm »

There's the other side of the coin too, where most people look at my like of DF as something bordering on a personality disorder because of the amount of reading and learning it takes to play, and how idiosyncratic the experience becomes to the person playing it. Delve too deeply and talk a little too loudly about DF and people might start to look at you askance. And that's in a normal game, not the engineered atrocities some people go for.

I work with a lot of programmers and dedicated gamers who play everything...and most won't touch DF. They love hearing about it. They just can't conscious trying to play it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2015, 08:11:34 pm »

Honestly, I think a lot of the reason I stick around is because of the community that Dwarf Fortress helped to spawn.

This. These forums are best best community I've ever found on the internet. It's not often I feel like I'm the one cheapening the discussion. But that could just be my ego.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2015, 09:09:49 pm »

Honestly, I think a lot of the reason I stick around is because of the community that Dwarf Fortress helped to spawn.

This. These forums are best best community I've ever found on the internet. It's not often I feel like I'm the one cheapening the discussion. But that could just be my ego.

Nah. It's pretty remarkable, even to the point where the repetitive "OMG this community is so unique" thing that we occasionally get onto is about how all the people on here are generally friendly and accepting. At least in the lower boards, up top is more about old memes.

In all seriousness though, you people who were here before me, and a good number of my contemporaries: you're amazing. You're the reason I've stuck with B12 for all these years. It's hands down the best online community I've ever found.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2015, 09:38:08 pm »

In all seriousness though, you people who were here before me, and a good number of my contemporaries: you're amazing. You're the reason I've stuck with B12 for all these years. It's hands down the best online community I've ever found.
+1. Plus one to all this. Even though I've only been here a little over a year. Everywhere else I've found is big enough that it's hard to form real friendships, too immature or pretentious, or both. This place is full of individuals I genuinely like.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2015, 09:43:53 pm »

I'unno, I know a couple of communities that might give this place a run for its money.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2015, 09:45:14 pm »

+1. Plus one to all this. Even though I've only been here a little over a year. Everywhere else I've found is big enough that it's hard to form real friendships, too immature or pretentious, or both. This place is full of individuals I genuinely like.

I signed up a while ago (oh my god I signed up when I was fourteen), and I've been an on-and-off member for the same while. But, no matter how long i'm away (the longest was a couple months I think) I always come crawling back. This place has had an amazing community since it started, I'm happy to call myself a member, and I damn sure hope that i'll be a member for the rest of my life. You guys are great <3

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2015, 09:49:01 pm »

I thought this was just a general gaming forum. Not for one specific game.

Does the big SLAVES TO ARMOK: GOD OF BLOOD: CHAPTER II: DWARF FORTRESS banner not show up at the top of every page on the default forum skin?

The banner doesn't link to the site for the game though.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2015, 09:50:31 pm »

I'unno, I know a couple of communities that might give this place a run for its money.

We should prove our moral superiority by aggressively civilizing them with a series of religion, social justice, and rage threads.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 11:04:24 pm »

Only if I can write multi-page screeds on the importance of using coasters.

Wait, that's the wrong community.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2015, 03:53:34 am »

What Dwarf Fortress is is the polar opposite of a mobile game.

It's a citybuilder thay's super complicated and detailed, not at all sleek, and whose control scheme reloes pn yhe keyboard. And that's why I like it; recent trends in mainstream gaming piss me off and this is about as far from them as it gets.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2015, 05:20:26 pm »

Since it's blizzarding right now and it's the weekend, I'm starting to get a hankering to play DF again. It's one of those games that (for me anyway) is fun to sink a lot of contiguous focus in when there isn't anything more pressing to occupy my thoughts or time. It's one of the great barriers to playing it I think, is that you really need to sink your teeth into it to have any fun, even if the interface doesn't spur you immediately. To that extent I'd agree that it's the opposite of casual games, which are meant to be enjoyable in very brief sessions with little investment, whereas sitting down to play DF is srs bsns.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2015, 06:05:36 am »

Adventurer mode is pretty casual, since you can only play it for so long before getting mauled by an undead pig or something. Fortress mode can also be quite casual, especially if you already have a small, established fort. I've often played 15-minute slices of DF between lectures.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2015, 08:03:01 am »

I fear the OP has fled the scene in terror
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2015, 01:15:42 pm »

I fear the OP has fled the scene in terror
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]