Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What's Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 6532 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What's Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 07:16:36 am »

This thread has made so much happy.

DF is a windowed game that increasing takes up more memory
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 07:48:24 am »

Dwarf Fortress is also this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yep this.
Exactly this.

No, that is the elitist part of DF and it's community, and there's nothing fun about it.
Love, scriver~

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 09:07:30 am »

No, that is the elitist part of DF and it's community, and there's nothing fun about it.

*For you.

I should hope that the person who designed the image had at least some fun, or else it's all rather silly.

Personally, I became tired of the game, but that's because it begins to lag as the fortress grows in a heaping monstrosity now that I actually know how to build one. The most fun I had probably had to be in the times that I've failed because something goes terribly wrong. Like when early on in the fort my chief Miner I named after a good friend of mine becomes a husk.

All attempts to save that fortress failed. Randy the Miner was out for the blood of Dwarf and he would not be denied!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 09:38:50 am »

I don't quite get the complaint about elitism. DF is different things for different people: You want challenge? -- embark in an evil biome. You want a peaceful city simulator? -- turn invaders off and concentrate on making fabulous socks for your nobles. There isn't a "wrong" way to play, and I'm sure practically everyone in the community understands that. 

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2015, 09:40:29 am »

I don't quite get the complaint about elitism. DF is different things for different people: You want challenge? -- embark in an evil biome. You want a peaceful city simulator? -- turn invaders off and concentrate on making fabulous socks for your nobles. There isn't a "wrong" way to play, and I'm sure practically everyone in the community understands that. 
Your playstyle is wrong and you should feel ashamed for liking it.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2015, 10:08:43 am »

Nah... I don't think such "opinions" are all that common nowadays, at least not in the threads I've been following (...although I've only been lurking for a few years, so my knowledge on the subject is rather shallow, I admit).

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2015, 10:49:22 am »

Honestly, I think a lot of the reason I stick around is because of the community that Dwarf Fortress helped to spawn. Even though I don't play the game as much/ anymore, I still enjoy hearing the stories people have to tell about their miserable, but utterly badass dwarves. As obtuse as Dwarf Fortress is/can be, it inspires creativity. And that is awesome.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2015, 11:55:52 am »

Nah... I don't think such "opinions" are all that common nowadays, at least not in the threads I've been following (...although I've only been lurking for a few years, so my knowledge on the subject is rather shallow, I admit).

I've been around since 2007, and it was never common. Sure the upper forum does have an aire of elitism, but it's really nothing compared to most games. The upper boards just trash UI/source code topics pretty harshly in my experience.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:57:47 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2015, 11:57:46 am »

Now, graphical vs textual tilesets...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2015, 12:00:11 pm »

Now, graphical vs textual tilesets...

I still don't get the debate. I use traditional ASCII because I can easier find things, but I don't mind the graphical sets with proper icons. It's all taste, and nothing I like to argue about. It's like telling someone that they're playing wrong/right for using Dwarf Therapist.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2015, 01:11:28 pm »

Your playstyle is wrong and you should feel ashamed for liking it.
Danger room threads in a nutshell.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2015, 02:46:21 pm »

I play a lot of Adventurer mode, myself. I like that feeling, of playing a brave warrior seeking glory in a world of danger and magic but also with blood loss and decapitation instead of you lost 31 hit points!

Plus the Draw your Adventures thread in the upperboards is a goldmine.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2015, 03:23:56 pm »

Yep this.
Exactly this.
I've never had genuine fun :(
I had fun once. It was terrible.
And thats why I became a /tg/station maintainer.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2015, 03:28:31 pm »

Well, the Lower Boards are sort of a Perfectly Generic Forum. Dwarf Fortress has its own dedicated boards up top, but down here we pretty much talk about what the fuck ever. Dwarf Fortress is, as I've heard it described, a game in which you need to micromanage a bunch of absent-minded alcoholic bearded midgets into building an underground house in the middle of a harsh and unforgiving wilderness.

General Discussion is the forum board for discussing non-game-related stuff. There's a games board with threads for each different game. The site is owned by the makers of Dwarf Fortress. Bay 12 games is the company that makes DF. The "upper boards" which all have "DF" at the start are specifically for the main game. So this thread properly belongs in "DF General Discussion".
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:18:34 am by Reelya »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2015, 06:23:55 pm »

Yep this.
Exactly this.

*shrug* Different strokes for different folks, right? I find dying in random, awesome, Dwarf-Fortress-y ways to be fun, so that's how I play my forts to end up. If you don't and you don't, that's cool too.
However, I don't think (as you seem to) that the picture claims that DF is better than anything else, it just says it's different than everything else. I'd say that's pretty true.
Either way, though, I think elitism is pretty fun too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5