Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What's Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 6544 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 08:16:12 pm »

Dwarf fortress is a city building and management simulator. Using the Simcity 2013 engine, with a heaping dose of inspiration from minecraft, it hopes to combine the best of both games, along with dwarves, into the best game of it's type for the 2015 Christmas sales period.
Developed in 1964 in collaboration with Tesco and the kid off the front of the Angle Delight packets. It was revolutionary at the time, using rendered 3D cutscenes to really reflect the growing tensions between the allied and axis countries in terms of propaganda. Despite the volatile subject matter, Dwarf Fortress managed to keep a fairly neutral stance on the whole affair, even if it did include one scene where Goering gets caught in the shower by the protagonist.
After release it garnered a herd of copycat games such as Mario Kart 6 and Space Jam: The Game. Another way it revolutionised the industry was by having mircrotransactions, where players could signal via an array of mirrors to Morrisons headquarters that they would like additional content where it would be flown over by carrier pigeon, which would then return the money. These extra content bundles included some extra backdrop textures, bonus animations for successfully delivering a baby, and also a special in-game currency known as 'Pathos'. Each Pathos could buy you a (real time) week of lodging in an inn or could be exchanged for a physcial print of photographs of all the developers.

All in all it was a revolutionary title but failed to create a truly engaging experience and was kind of like Skyrim with guns except without guns. 9/10.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 08:30:53 pm »

See, here's how it works. This is Mount Olympus:
                                                                                                                         ___  <--This is where Armok Lives, on the Slaves To Armok Board.
                                                                                                                        /    \  <--This is where the Dwarf Fortress boards are, where the chosen talk about arcane concepts.
                                                                                                                       /      \
                                                                                                                      /        \ <--This is the Curses Board, where people talk about other games Bay 12 has made, but mostly just
                                                                                                                     /          \      Liberal Crime Squad.
This is where the Other Games, Play with your Buddies, and Non-Game boards live,--> /            \ <--This is where the Forum Games and Roleplaying and Roll to Dodge boards have built their villages.
across the mountain so they can't talk to the people in FG&RP.                                     |  |
                                                                                                                         |  |
                                                                                                                         /  /
                                                                                                                    __/   /___
                                                                                                                   /             \
                                                                                                                  /               \
                                                                                                                 |                | 
<-- This is the Mafia Board.
                                                                                                                  \               /
                                                                                                                   \             /

^^^^^^

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 08:35:32 pm »

Dwarf fortress is a city building and management simulator. Using the Simcity 2013 engine, with a heaping dose of inspiration from minecraft, it hopes to combine the best of both games, along with dwarves, into the best game of it's type for the 2015 Christmas sales period.
Got that inspiration bit a little backwards though. DF was one of the initial inspirations for Minecraft, not vice versa. :P
I think you need to read a tad more carefully; the sentence was entirely facetious, as the "Using the Simcity 2013 engine," bit ought to have told you.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 08:36:52 pm »

Got that inspiration bit a little backwards though. DF was one of the initial inspirations for Minecraft, not vice versa. :P
I think you need to read a tad more carefully; the sentence was entirely facetious, as the "Using the Simcity 2013 engine," bit ought to have told you.  :P
Right, wrong year of SimCity.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 08:38:19 pm »

Pretty sure it isn't still using the engine either.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 08:49:54 pm »

Why does Mount Olympus look like a Christmas tree with a flaming ballsack?

Also, where's GD on that diagram?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 08:54:13 pm »

Why does Mount Olympus look like a Christmas tree with a flaming ballsack?

Also, where's GD on that diagram?
General discussion is on the left slope of Mount Olympus, along with all the other non-game related boards, not talking to the people on the right side.

And Mount Olympus looks like it does because I'm a mediocre artist :P.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 08:56:29 pm »

So it is. Apparently I can't read.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

HooliganintheFort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 09:00:55 pm »

Welcome to the forums and the Dwarf Fortress World! Our most famous attractions are Boatmurdered and Dwarf Fortress itself. We all hope you enjoy your stay and stay well away from the rabid elephants and Candy monsters that prowl our world!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2015, 09:29:46 pm »

Welcome to the forums and the Dwarf Fortress World! Our most famous attractions are Boatmurdered and Dwarf Fortress itself. We all hope you enjoy your stay and stay well away from the rabid elephants and Candy monsters that prowl our world!
No, that's last Dwarf Fortress. In this version a new predator stalks the land, one before which all others pale in comparison. That menace, friends, goes by the name, "Military System".

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 09:33:15 pm »

What kind of old news are you talking about? There are no predators anymore. Big scary things just run away now if you poke things with pointy sticks.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 09:34:00 pm »

See, here's how it works. This is Mount Olympus:
                                                                                                                         ___  <--This is where Armok Lives, on the Slaves To Armok Board.
                                                                                                                        /    \  <--This is where the Dwarf Fortress boards are, where the chosen talk about arcane concepts.
                                                                                                                       /      \
                                                                                                                      /        \ <--This is the Curses Board, where people talk about other games Bay 12 has made, but mostly just
                                                                                                                     /          \      Liberal Crime Squad.
This is where the Other Games, Play with your Buddies, and Non-Game boards live,--> /            \ <--This is where the Forum Games and Roleplaying and Roll to Dodge boards have built their villages.
across the mountain so they can't talk to the people in FG&RP.                                     |  |
                                                                                                                         |  |
                                                                                                                         /  /
                                                                                                                    __/   /___
                                                                                                                   /             \
                                                                                                                  /               \
                                                                                                                 |                | 
<-- This is the Mafia Board.
                                                                                                                  \               /
                                                                                                                   \             /

^^^^^^

Oh come on, mafia isn't that bad...

Remuthra is clearly mafia.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 09:35:05 pm »

My mental summary of Mafia is "yelling at people simulator".

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 09:39:20 pm »

My mental summary of Mafia is "yelling at people simulator".
Mine is "Pretend you're a cop by making random guesses."
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 10:09:19 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is also this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5