Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 66

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up!)  (Read 111874 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

MAybe we need to make a list.

+ + Kenku,
* * mental,
< > Draconic
~ ~ treehugger elven
etc, etc.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Might help, since I make them up on the spot usually. :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Man, your voice is hot."
"!! Oh, really? !!"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

!! !! needs to be ignan. :p

Anyway, added to OP of game thread. Also lots of other stuff no one has probably paid any attention to! Hue Hue Hue!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

You could translate it into Wingdings. :V

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Ah, the eternal struggle to not metagame and just reason that I can pick up Dimension Door when I'm high enough to cast it.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, the eternal struggle to not metagame and just reason that I can pick up Dimension Door when I'm high enough to cast it.  :P

Or you could have dimension door AND get to pick another spell. :P

Anyway, it's not metagame. Samara knows she can figure it out herself one day in the future, after a lot of hard work.

It's just being offered to her right now in a silk lined box, with a pretty red bow.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Yeah, I know. That's the nice thing about high-INT decent-WIS characters, they're sensible enough to know that in terms of pure economy, a range of lower-level spells gained without effort is better than a single higher-level one, even if they're not thinking about it in the sense of "I only get two spells per level and through that process I can gain any spell on my list, ergo when learning spells outside of leveling I should maximize quantity rather than quality, within certain limits." Though obviously I did constrain her requests to 3rd circle and below.

Now that I'm out of classes I'll have an IC post up soon. Not going to accept the elder scammer's offer of DD, obviously, but I'll need a tick to decide what I do want.

By the by? Thank you. I've seen so many campaigns where the party wizard gets screwed over by never having an opportunity to barter or steal new spells to scribe, and that's much more painful in 5e than in 3.5e because of the mechanical differences and lack of ways to optimize around the spellbook.

3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By the by? Thank you. I've seen so many campaigns where the party wizard gets screwed over by never having an opportunity to barter or steal new spells to scribe, and that's much more painful in 5e than in 3.5e because of the mechanical differences and lack of ways to optimize around the spellbook.

It's good to be thanked. :) You're welcome. I realized that for the wizard, obtaining new spells is their loot.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Heh, this is a two-fer. Scribin' spells be expensive, yo. With the coin in her purse right now, Samara could only manage one 2nd level and one 1st level spell, but hawking off an ancestral artifact is double duty: it furthers her pursuit of magical knowledge and spits on the pathetic obsessions of her people.

Also, I double checked, and Samara can only copy spells she can cast, so it was my mistake for including a 3rd circle spell in there to begin with.

E: Is the moonlight only for the activated portion, or for the AC as well?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:04:48 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wall of text incoming.

You guys gotta catch all of them Emblems!

E: Is the moonlight only for the activated portion, or for the AC as well?

Both.

C'mon, it's not like you'll be going to places where there IS NO MOON.

Nyeh heh heh heh.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

But what if we go to the moon?

Also: shit we animu death game now.

3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But what if we go to the moon?

Also: shit we animu death game now.

They're emblems, not Majora's Mask.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, some new homebrew!

I figure I need to codify some concrete rules about encounters.

4. Enemies who surrender or are knocked out give full XP as if you killed them. Enemies who flee the battle alive after failing a courage check, give 1/2 XP-you can still reclaim the remaining XP by hunting them down and killing or subduing them, and they will not attempt to engage your party any longer-however they will attempt to defend themselves if backed into a corner.

5. Using monster morale for some encounters. All critters have two numbers-the first number is aggressiveness and the second is courage, or how likely they are to keep attacking. They will check aggressiveness to decide if they engage the party directly (attack you without warning-this doesn't mean they won't engage you first in other ways, maybe just telling you to surrender and file toward the slave pits), and check courage to continue fighting after suffering setbacks. They fail if they roll under these numbers.

Courage checks are
-Being reduced to half HP, and taking any hit after that
-Losing half the numbers of their original group
-Being hit by a fear inducing spell or ability, such as being intimidated, with less than full HP.
-Losing their leader or whatever object they were fighting for
-Arrival of hostile reinforcements/battlefield conditions greatly changes/surprises/etc

Having a strong leader with them (if they have one) gives them the advantage on courage checks.

If they pass two courage checks in a battle, they harden and will not flee-instead fighting to the death.

These conditions are is noted with these two effects

Fleeing!!
Hardened

Examples:
    Morale DC 20/10: Isn’t going to attack unprovoked, will bail about half the time if it’s in a fight that’s not going well (most animals might fit in here.)
    Morale DC 20/20: Not gonna fight, always gonna run, like a peasant or small herbivore or my dog.
    Morale DC 5/5: Aggressive and elite critter

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hum, to be honest, I'm not sure if I like rewarding hunting down defeated foes to beat them unconscious. On the other hand adding moral mechanics beyond "flee when they have no chance" is probably going to nerf monsters a little, so I guess it's appropriate that they give less exp.

Edit: On the other hand it's a huge buff to my menacing attack.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:48:37 am by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 66