Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 66

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up!)  (Read 112077 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up! Game started)
« Reply #255 on: February 25, 2015, 03:06:11 pm »

Don't feel bad, man! I'm enjoying things, even if you made a mistake. Hell, my complaints about the lizard man was founded on my error in the first place...

I would have given a round dealing with Risey, and then a round where the elves arrive. Is there sprinting in 5e? If you move 4x your move speed, and then a turn of movement, that's 175 feet. Close, but maybe we were.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 25, 2015, 03:10:48 pm »

I mean, you don't need to feel that bad. On the map thing, If you can't do it, you can't do it. The game is still workable, it's just something to be aware of.

As for the rest, you seem to be doing mostly okay. This game is a new experience for all of us after all, some small bumps are to be expected.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 25, 2015, 03:16:32 pm »

So should we actually make a distinct plan?

It's pretty clear we need to separate or kill one of the thugs as priority.

Hmm. I was thinking of knocking one of the thugs prone and someone else mangling them with the advantage they gained, but since it's my action then theirs they can just stand up again. Or I could just throw an axe and try to kill the bugger.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2015, 03:22:25 pm »

I was planning on a flying tackle from a tree. I should be able to use my sneak attack, and they'll be knocked prone and I'll be at an adventage!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2015, 03:26:14 pm »

I'm attacking the dogs first, as they have very little HP and we need to lessen their numbers and number of attacks.
Love, scriver~

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2015, 03:27:46 pm »

I would have given a round dealing with Risey, and then a round where the elves arrive. Is there sprinting in 5e? If you move 4x your move speed, and then a turn of movement, that's 175 feet. Close, but maybe we were.

Well, in my headcanon, you were about 100 ft away from their camp, Wild Elves move 35ft a turn with no penalty in naturally rough terrain (they are FAST, and I wanted to show this), and you can dash for double your move speed on a turn so...yeah. Should have given you one turn before they arrived. This is the problem with headmaths. I also wanted to give not-risey an even chance to get away. And I'm rushing, which is a mistake.

As for the plan, oh, I suggest a flanking attack to handle the ranged guys by the sneaky birds in the party, and wizards and tanks kill the thugs backup first, so they don't get advantage on rolls. It's really straight forward. Anything that can stun or control the thugs would also be useful.

But OKAY.

We're moving forward.

I figure I really do have to be more precise with the ranges, tho. I'll work on my descriptive text for battle places to give you guys more of an idea of what the place is like.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2015, 03:34:03 pm »

The dogs are priority number one for me, because they debuff us in such a way that the others will make mince meat of whomever drops. (Knocking us prone). After they are dead, if possible split the thugs up and cc them (like that hideous laughter on one would be good.) But if they are not together then they only have twice the damage but three times the hp as their compatriots, For the price of one thugs hp you can take out all the other elves. #worth

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2015, 03:35:05 pm »

So am I still okay to assassin's creed a thug?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2015, 03:41:01 pm »

You're allowed to try :D
Love, scriver~

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2015, 03:59:15 pm »

I'm having a ton of fun. As fellow 5e DM, I am going to have to suggest you be more clear about the distances, but just writing down your head canon helps everyone.

My current plan is to take out the dog, then begin blasting away at the thugs, while keeping distance between them and me.
Dwarmin, a target hit with Hex will recieve an extra 1d6 when hit with an attack. Does Eldritch Blast count as an attack?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2015, 04:06:31 pm »

Dwarmin, a target hit with Hex will recieve an extra 1d6 when hit with an attack. Does Eldritch Blast count as an attack?

I've played Warlocks before and in circumstances, blasts are treated like normal attacks, so I would suppose yes.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2015, 06:10:36 pm »

Yeah, just to clarify: I'm complaining because I like the campaign thusfar and I think it has potential. If I didn't like it or wasn't pleased with it, I wouldn't have bothered.  :P

It's just that you have to understand, D&D combat rules are intimately tied with an assumption of a battle grid, because in order for players to apply mechanics and rules to different situations they need to have an implicit understanding of the distances, terrain, and relative positions involved in the situation. The only other way I've seen it run at all successfully is by also discarding the rules and using D&D as... fluff, basically, which requires a specific sort of group mindset.

That said, just about everyone running a campaign on B12 right now is a shitty artist. Battlemats are super easy, literally all you need is Excel and Paint. Make the cells in Excel roughly square, fill them in with the base ground color, make the gridlines solid, then fill cells for trees/walls/whatever and drop alphanumerics for the players in. Take a screenshot, paste it into Paint and save it, then upload to imgur.

From the point where I opened Excel to the point where I posted that, it took me six minutes to make. You can even go the Tawa route and make shit out of ASCII characters in the post. Need to edit it for the next turn? Open up the spreadsheet, put new alphanumerics if people moved, delete the old ones and any that are dead.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 06:12:46 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 25, 2015, 06:12:38 pm »

I found ASCII actually took longer than Excel.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 25, 2015, 06:13:43 pm »

It wouldn't surprise me.

I'd actually guess that it takes more time to edit the copies of our charsheets in the posts than it would to whip up an Excel map, that's how easy they are. Don't need to bother with Hexographer or whatever -- trust me, based on past experience, Excel is easier and better.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2015, 06:23:40 pm »

I found ASCII actually took longer than Excel.
It does. I've swapped over to Excel and it feels great. I personally use Google Docs, though.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 66