Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 66

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up!)  (Read 112129 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up! Game starting soon)
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2015, 10:18:08 am »

Well, it seems like the orb, the wand, and the key are the best seeming to me.

I'm personally going to take the key or orb, since my attack technically does more damage then the wand. But I'll let you first pick, since you did the real work here anyway.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2015, 11:26:11 am »

I'm personally going to take the key or orb, since my attack technically does more damage then the wand. But I'll let you first pick, since you did the real work here anyway.

You saw the changes to maul in the OP, right? O_o Anyway.

@KJ1225: Anyway. You really did escape. If you were wondering.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2015, 11:27:53 am »

The Rock? Of course I've heard of the Rock. What, you think I was born yesterday? Pretty decent for an action star, that one. Didn't think he still liked to he called the Rock these days though.
Love, scriver~

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2015, 11:28:08 am »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2015, 11:31:40 am »

You saw the changes to maul in the OP, right? O_o Anyway.

No, I must have missed it.

Do you mean lizardman maul or the weapon called maul? I see that there was a change to the lizardman maul, a small buff, but I wasn't really thinking about that. I can't find anything else on mauls in the op.

Edit: Oh. I saw you took away the ability to maul when wielding a twohanded weapon or having a shield, so basically maul is a bad two weapon fighting thing now. A nerf at low levels I guess.

Damagewise, that still doesn't effect what I said. Average damage from chromatic orb is 10.5, average damage from my attack is 11.333...

Losing maul sucks, but, eh, doesn't matter that much.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:39:40 am by Criptfeind »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2015, 11:34:54 am »

I thought it was more to this effect :P
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2015, 11:41:01 am »

I'll be getting the wand for Samara, it'll give us decent coverage on the various weaknesses. The orb won't provide anything useful in the short term (when I can cantrip-Light rocks and toss them around like candy), and in the long run, while invisible lightning-spewing spirits bound to service sound nifty, the whole thing about continually feeding them souls and them needing to be prevented from escaping sounds like a problem waiting to happen.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2015, 11:47:36 am »

Edit: Oh. I saw you took away the ability to maul when wielding a twohanded weapon or having a shield, so basically maul is a bad two weapon fighting thing now. A nerf at low levels I guess.

Damagewise, that still doesn't effect what I said. Average damage from chromatic orb is 10.5, average damage from my attack is 11.333...

Losing maul sucks, but, eh, doesn't matter that much.

Gilgamesh was really complaining about it, being a Kenku. I acquiesced. I meant your claws more to be a back-up weapon you'd always have, not anything more.

And the other part is right, but the Orb does a varied bunch of elemental damage, which is useful against many resistant enemies. Bananas, potatoes, you know.

I'll be getting the wand for Samara, it'll give us decent coverage on the various weaknesses. The orb won't provide anything useful in the short term (when I can cantrip-Light rocks and toss them around like candy), and in the long run, while invisible lightning-spewing spirits bound to service sound nifty, the whole thing about continually feeding them souls and them needing to be prevented from escaping sounds like a problem waiting to happen.

See, I'm taking the basic GM 5e advice on giving my players magic items. :P I.e, they are supposed to be unique and special in most regards, not common or easily obtained-these were the exception to the rule-and most of them come with some sort of odd effects that complicate their use...from what I gather, they are trying to make magic more 'magical'.

Would you be surprised that gold really doesn't matter all that much in this setting? Most of the sort of things you'd really want to buy (like that tyrant armor) are completely beyond any price.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2015, 11:48:42 am »

WE'RE FIGHTING BANANAS AND POTATOES!?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2015, 11:50:26 am »

Oh, it's cool, Dwarmin. But with Int that high and decent Wis supplementing it, Samara ain't about to get stuck with something that she can tell from the outset will cause more problems than it solves, especially when there's a perfectly good Stick of Blasting Shit right there.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2015, 11:57:21 am »

WE'RE FIGHTING BANANAS AND POTATOES!?

Funny you would say that.

Oh, nothing.

It's just funny. :I

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2015, 12:14:41 pm »

Yeah, since I'm not a spellcaster, I'm not sure if I would even have the capability to control the orb... I dunno... It's more useful for me, since I don't have any spellcasting capability, and picking up some utility would be nice... But if it's pretty much going to be impossible for me to control maybe it wouldn't be worth it... Man. I dunno. Conflicting.

Gilgamesh was really complaining about it, being a Kenku. I acquiesced. I meant your claws more to be a back-up weapon you'd always have, not anything more.

Yeah, when I first saw the maul, I thought it was really good as well. But after reading up more, except at low levels (which, to be fair, is the level we are at), it actually doesn't seem that good to me. If you are using feats from the main book that is. Using feats there seems to be three main types of fighters: Two weapon fighters, who probably want dex as their main stat and thus their offhand attacks are going to be better then maul anyway. Great weapon/pole arm users, who would benefit from maul at a low level but at higher levels have much better use for their bonus action. And sword and board fighters, who, admittedly do seem like they could use maul a little bit, but actually they probably also want to be dex based fighters, so maul wouldn't actually help them that much. (Also this is assuming you're not a Eldritch Knight, who looks like they have tons of more important things to bonus action with)

Uh. That said, if you're just using the basic rules, fighters are pretty bad, and maul, as it stood, was good for them as they had nothing else to use their bonus action on unless they were TWFing. (Although now it's not good for them even then)

As just a backup weapon though, makes sense. (although isn't that much of a improvement, since as far as I can tell there is no issues with just being unarmed, so the difference between maul and fighting unarmed is just 2.5 damage on average, not bad, but not amazing ether.)

Now, if you want to complain about a race feature being op. Dat bonus armor.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2015, 12:22:36 pm »

Yeah, I probably even calc'ed the armor bonus wrong, but whatevs. :P

I'm not sure what to say about the rest. I'm a horrible GM, okay?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2015, 12:40:31 pm »

By the way, does one need to maintain concentration or use spell components when using the orb?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2015, 12:45:21 pm »

By the way, does one need to maintain concentration or use spell components when using the orb?

Humm, I'll have to check about the concentration, but no, you shouldn't have to use the components-they are already invested in the magical item.

Ex., Chromatic Orb normally requires a single 50 gp gem to cast it (you need just one, not for every cast). I cunningly placed that item in the wands description, because I am cunning.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 66