Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 66

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up!)  (Read 112127 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up! Game starting soon)
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2015, 04:51:43 pm »

You know what Dwarmin, after thinking about it a lot, I've convinced myself that the duelist lancer isn't really worth it. The loss of growth potential isn't worth the .2 more damage and 2 more ac to me. Would you mind if I swap out my Warhammer with a Maul and my Fighting Style: Dueling for a Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting, since we haven't run into any enemies yet?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2015, 10:02:18 pm »

Speaking if which, you seem to have put the equipment from my first draft in the first page info thingy: I changed it from a greatsword to a maul (and from the beatstick to a spear) to better fit with his backstory - he was an engineer in the army. Not the thinking, inventing and knowledgeable kind of engineer, mind you, for a lowly soldier like Tadhg it mostly involved moving lots of wood around and hammering lots of large beams into place for the siege engines. Or the defenses, should the situation be reversed.

Oh, and the reason the spear days 1d8 damage instead of 1d6 is that it's a Versatile (damage increase if wielded with both hands) weapon and I can't imagine Tadhg will be using it single-handedly in the near future as he doesn't have a shield.
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2015, 11:42:40 pm »

Elf Necromancery stuff

By the way, I got around to looking this up out of curiosity, but it seems like this wouldn't work because you can only long rest once every 24 hours (and arguably trance doesn't even reduce the time it takes to long rest, since a long rest is eight hours of light activity, not just sleeping and trance only effects sleep, not long rests specifically)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2015, 11:49:27 pm »

Yeah, I remembered that a bit after I wrote it up. They sealed everything pretty tightly across the board when it came to casters.

On the plus side, this means that if we run across any necromancers they won't have many spells.

The spell upkeep is fucking idiotic though. What was wrong with "shove some black onyx in, they're good until they're smashed or released"?.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2015, 12:07:37 am »

Yeah. They don't even let sorcerers get animate undead, so you can't do some arcane restoration shuffle to get around it. How sad.

I'm sure that NPC necromancers will have their undead powered by Phlebotinum though.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2015, 12:09:04 am »

Dwarmin, you did see my post about what Akira did after leaving the shop right?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2015, 12:48:24 am »

Whoh. I didn't even look at how cleric spell casting works until now, but now I see clerics cast spells Pseudo spontaneously. Um, unless I'm missing something, since clerics don't have any level based limit on spellcasting, which is the limitation on multiclassing, a one level cleric dip when you are any spellcasting class basically adds the whole clerics spell list to your own. (Although, only a couple of spells from it per day). Although this presumably has a lot of implications, for a necromancer at least it means they take a one level dip in cleric, then prepare animate undead as a cleric spell (along with other spells of the same level you plan on casting it as), cast it, then use arcane restoration to gain back the spent spell slots and recast them as you want or need too as the other cleric spells you prepared.

Of course, that whole process sorta hinges on the fact that although multiclassing spellcasters are clearly suppose to be limited in their access to spells of higher levels (as clearly demonstrated by their examples) in all cases the actual knowledge of spells you get and what spells you can prepare is determined by what spell slots you have, which multiclassing doesn't effect.

Thinking about it, clerics (or any spellcaster) themselves could also just take a level in wizard for the same effect, although they could only get free spells of the level that they dipped in, as they level up they can just write higher level spells in their books and then prepare them as normal. Although for necromancers specifically they need that arcane restoration so wizard gota be the main class. But in theory something like, wizard 1 cleric 1 druid 1 (druid spellcasting working the same way as cleric) bardorsorcerer x All cleric spells, all wizard spells, all druid spells, all bardorsorcerer spells. (Might not actually be worth it, considering stat points and loss of class features, but the idea is there.)

Of course, I might be missing something here. And clearly it's not quite what the rules intend. But, it's interesting.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2015, 01:00:03 am »

Wow. I'm honestly shocked that they left a hole that wide, even if only in RAW. I mean, that was one of the fundamental limiting factors (lol) on multiclassing casters in earlier eds, and why so much effort was put into finding ways around it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 21, 2015, 01:01:14 am »

I picked the wrong day to get sucked in by a game. Really sorry.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2015, 01:21:57 am »

Wow. I'm honestly shocked that they left a hole that wide, even if only in RAW. I mean, that was one of the fundamental limiting factors (lol) on multiclassing casters in earlier eds, and why so much effort was put into finding ways around it.

I guess luckily at least, with the maximum capabilities of spells a bit squashed down in 5E (presumably at least) it's not as ridiculously broken as it would have been in 3.5. You probably won't see divine metamagiced wizard spells being arcane fusion spell surged out well wild shaped like you would if this was how 3.5 worked... Probably.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2015, 04:01:14 am »

I might be mistaken, but don't all casters cast pseudo-spontaneously now?
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2015, 08:44:03 am »

Bards cast spontaneously.
Clerics cast (what I am calling pseudo-spontaneously, what I meant is that they prepare a list of spells that they then can cast spontaneously) pseudo-spontaneously
Druids cast pseudo-spontaneously
Eldritch Knight cast spontaneously
Monks cast spontaneously (pretty much)
Paladins cast pseudo-spontaneously
Rangers cast spontaneously
Arcane Tricksters cast spontaneously
Sorcerers cast spontaneously (of course)
Warlocks cast their spells Spontaneously, their are evocations nether really
Wizards cast pseudo-spontaneously (although unlike the other classes that do this, they are limited to just their spellbook.)

Before making this list I hadn't actually realized that wizards cast like that (prepared casting was such a rock of the wizard experience I had assumed it as a given and didn't even check). So I guess, since no one casts in the 3.5 preparation style, using the word pseudo-spontaneously is a bit cumbersome to refer to the style with the most preparation.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2015, 09:12:58 am »

You know what Dwarmin, after thinking about it a lot, I've convinced myself that the duelist lancer isn't really worth it. The loss of growth potential isn't worth the .2 more damage and 2 more ac to me. Would you mind if I swap out my Warhammer with a Maul and my Fighting Style: Dueling for a Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting, since we haven't run into any enemies yet?

Yeah, fair enough. Once combat starts it's locked, tho.

Dwarmin, you did see my post about what Akira did after leaving the shop right?

Yeah, you weren't really clear on what you wanted to do tho-I thought it was an AFK/busy action. Just looking to meet someone random?

Speaking if which, you seem to have put the equipment from my first draft in the first page info thingy: I changed it from a greatsword to a maul (and from the beatstick to a spear) to better fit with his backstory - he was an engineer in the army. Not the thinking, inventing and knowledgeable kind of engineer, mind you, for a lowly soldier like Tadhg it mostly involved moving lots of wood around and hammering lots of large beams into place for the siege engines. Or the defenses, should the situation be reversed.

Oh, and the reason the spear days 1d8 damage instead of 1d6 is that it's a Versatile (damage increase if wielded with both hands) weapon and I can't imagine Tadhg will be using it single-handedly in the near future as he doesn't have a shield.

Was gonna update all of it before your first combat anywho, but thanks for telling me.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2015, 10:00:54 am »

Yeah, preferably someone shady, I just didn't really know how to phrase it.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2015, 10:16:26 am »

He's big enough that you can stand in his shade. That's what you meant, right? :P
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 66