Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 66

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up!)  (Read 112042 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Adventurers of the Lost Isle OOC (Full up! Game started)
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2015, 10:27:55 am »

Under these rules feint isn't going to be something fighters are going to do ever scriver, so that's not really a concern I would think. (Giving up your whole action for advantage on one attack is quite bad except for someone who can make that attack really count... Like a rogue.)

If you take the duel wielder feat you can duel wield maces. (Although you wouldn't want to probably.) Hell, you can duel wield lances (Variant human can do it at level 1! Level one 2d12+6 is legit yo.)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:30:04 am by Criptfeind »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2015, 10:31:01 am »

Well, I mean like dual wielding them in a semi-viable way, which you can do in 3.5 using two weapon fighting and oversized two weapon fighting (citation needed). I know because that's a build I started work on.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2015, 10:34:24 am »

There is no penalties to duel wielding in this, if you can physically do it you can do it without negatives. The only limit is light weapons, which duel wielder takes away. (Although there are no such thing as one handed heavy weapons. So you still can't duel wield heavy. If there was one though, you could!)

So, sure, it's viable.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2015, 10:36:43 am »

Well, I know what I'm doing if I join another fifth edition game.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 25, 2015, 10:42:16 am »

I would suggest not actually doing the lances thing if it's a level one game. As your GM and fellow players will get mad at you. If it's the maces thing, that is more reasonable. Duel wielding maces is probably worse then just duel wielding almost anything else.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2015, 10:44:24 am »

Yes but think of all the LEGS I can break!

Also, just so everyone is on the same page and more experienced people can look it over, I wanted to use a non-official rogue archetype.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2015, 11:04:13 am »

Flanking does not, as far as I am able to tell, even exist in 5E.
It's a variant rule in the DMG.

Also, just so everyone is on the same page and more experienced people can look it over, I wanted to use a non-official rogue archetype.
Hmm. That's an interesting one.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2015, 11:07:53 am »

Yeah, I thought so as well. And it fits the character in a way.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2015, 12:44:13 pm »

Humm, well.

Do you guys find my turn style easy to read, or is too confusing?

I'm more or less trying to cram as much info as I can in a readable manner...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2015, 01:47:47 pm »

The main issue for me is going to be the fact that narrative style doesn't give information about distances and positioning. Most spells used in battle still imply the use of a battle grid, and it also has issues regarding line of sight &c.

For example, if I wanted to Grease their frontline, I would have no idea where to drop it for maximum effect without getting an ally. If I wanted to take cover from their archers, I'd have no clue where to move because I don't know how they're positioned relative to me or where the nearest cover is. If I wanted to tag something from long range with a Fire Bolt, I wouldn't know whether it was close enough to hit.

For other characters, things like distance are crucial (can I move far enough to hit him in the same turn? How far do I need to move such that the enemy can't move and attack me in their next turn?).

What it comes down to is that when you don't have a battle grid... it opens up a lot of problems. Either you describe precisely in text the distances between every character and every other character as well as the relative positioning of major terrain features (which we don't do precisely because a battle grid is easier), or you... don't. That last one is incredibly unhealthy for the game because it invariably leads to misinterpretation (DM has one thing in mind when they write, players read something else) and impreciseness. This in turn slows down the game because just about every turn is going to have something along the lines of "Wait, how did that happen? I thought that-"

tl;dr
A battle grid is pretty much essential for two reasons: It removes uncertainty, and it speeds up the game. If you just go the simple route and color in cells in a spreadsheet with letters/numbers for characters and screenshot that, it's also much faster than writing up a comprehensive description of positioning. The fundamental truth is that D&D combat is built around the grid, and if you deviate from that you're leaving a whole lot up to DM fiat when you need to resolve unclear situations (which wouldn't have arisen with a grid), resulting in either upset players (because things seem to never go their way because they can't read the DM's mind) or bored players (because the DM tends to rule in their favor to avoid the first possibility).

--

Mostly unrelated: The start of this combat was really, really messy. The raiders were a good distance away and were apparently alerted at the same time that Risey started to run. You apparently rolled initiative for the entire encounter, let Aldeth and Kawtari waste their actions on Risey, and then teleported Akira and all of the enemies on top of the rest of the party for what was effectively a full free round of combat. Given that the main body of the enemy was apparently running full tilt through the forest from several hundred feet away, it makes zero sense that a) they would have arrived in the handful of seconds that passed, or b) that nobody noticed them coming.

No offense, but that's sloppy, and it's the same issue of clarity that I was talking about above. You could have done several different things, depending on how you were interpreting the situation. Risey could have successfully escaped and then, a minute or so later, the raiders would have arrived and initiative would have been rolled. Or you could have rolled perception checks to see if anyone noticed them approaching, then rolled initiative and let people decide whether they wanted to keep going after Risey or deal with the new situation.

As it was, you took agency away from two people by taking their actions in the context of one situation (Risey's betrayal discovered, she attempts to flee, enemies are still distant) into another (enemies are right on top of us, initiative has been rolled) without letting anybody know that you were doing it. This screws over those players by essentially saying, "Sorry, you rolled highest initiative but you don't get to chose your first action for this combat," and for the party as a whole, "Some of you got initiative, but I'm going to fiat it so that the enemies basically get a free surprise round despite not surprising you."

Just some thoughts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 25, 2015, 01:48:34 pm »

2xElven Thug
32/32 HP
Effects: ~
Abilities:~Pack Tactics. The thug has advantage on an attack roll against
a creature if at least one of the thug’s allies is within 5 feet of
the creature and the ally isn’t incapacitated.
~Multiattack. The thug makes two melee attacks.

Well, we're dead. Prepare for TPK :(
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 25, 2015, 02:20:20 pm »

I'm in agreement here with Flying Dice. At least, about the lack of battle grid. It seems like it could be a issue (Like already, I'm like, where do I put the wisps? Where do I position myself to prevent as many as possible from getting past me? Ect.)

It's also weird that they managed to attack us within the same round as the people went after the fleeing elf, since that implies that they were within 30 feet of us before she started to flee. I mean, not a huge thing. But. Yeah. Messy.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 25, 2015, 02:32:23 pm »

*rubs forehead*

Alright.

Well, I don't really have the time/will to do a battle grid. I'm mostly a bad writer, not an artist-and this computer can't even really do that, being a library comp I can only use on-and-off. I usually just scam it out in my head, which I understand is not preferable...but I do play loose with range and timing and things. It's just how I do it. And it backfires most of the time...

As for the other thing, I rolled Init and that's what happened, but I get that's the problem. I am trying to speed up things too much, but I'm running in a pretty hectic mood. I'm in a very real hurry, essentially. I don't want the game to flag and falter before it really starts. Sorry I rushed things...in my head, wild elves move very fast through forest terrain and I wanted to create some tension between either chasing risey, or attacking the enemies. Cinematic, sure...

I'm not really sure how to fix things, tho I'll give Myname and Gilga rerolls of their turns to do what they want

Anyway. This is all extremely depressing, and I feel really quite terrible now, since EVERYTHING I'm trying is wrong and it seems no one is enjoying this at all.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 25, 2015, 02:36:47 pm »

What? No! I am enjoying myself immensely. I've had no complaints so far - the thing about TPK above was just a... Whatever you call them in English. Joke-stabs. Stabs that are fun!
Love, scriver~

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 25, 2015, 02:52:37 pm »

Friendly jab? Yeah, that's what teasing is.

Anyways, I think that the game is going just fine. I really don't care for combat honestly because I like role playing more but other people can talk about that.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 66